185 replies to this topic

#106 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 18,147 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

http://news.yahoo.co...9--finance.html

But in the latest sign that North Korea's warlike stance toward South Korea and the United States is moving from words to action, Pyongyang on Wednesday barred South Korean managers and trucks delivering supplies from crossing the border to enter the Kaesong industrial park. It's an announcement that further escalates a torrent of provocations analysts say is aimed at pressuring the U.S. and South Korea to change their policies toward Pyongyang.

#107 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Not sure what that means. I wasn't president, so how would my self criticism matter irt this discussion. Unless you are referring to voting, and if that is the case, then I didn't vote for GWB in 2004 because he was an incompetent fool, far worse than our current president.

FDR got us embroiled in a shooting war with Germany, spent a lot of money on it, and rounded up US citizens and put them in camps. Yes, he definitely was right to move us towards war with Germany, but only in hindsight did many people realize that he was right. And he actually did a lot more to infringe on personal freedoms than GWB ever did.

I figured anyone diverting my claim about Bush to a President from the 30's and 40's was a Bush voting Republican.

#108 Miaoww

Miaoww

• HUDDLER
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

lol

No, i just have zero desire to get into another war. I'd wait til they do something pretty bad and then just wipe them out and be done with it. We don't have the money or stomach to get into a long drawn out fight with another country.

And by 'them' you mean?

#109 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,484 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

I figured anyone diverting my claim about Bush to a President from the 30's and 40's was a Bush voting Republican.

Wasn't really intended as a diversion, more as a historical comparison, specifically in the context of civil rights during a time of crisis. I probably shouldn't have added the comparison about getting us into a shooting war with Germany, because there isn't much similarity between 1941 Germany and 2003 Iraq, but from a civil rights perspective, it is an interesting comparison. Bush was lambasted for the patriot act, while Roosevelt receives very little criticism for having Japanese put in camps. Lots of people criticise the US government for the interment, but very little of that is directed at FDR.

Fwiw, GWB lost my vote when he created the department of homeland insecurity. That boondoggle will be with us for many years to come, and will likely end up being his most lasting legacy unfortunately.

#110 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

__YOU CAN'T FIRE ME!__

• HUDDLER
  • 18,222 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:23 PM

This is truly getting fugging ridiculous.

N. Korea approves nuclear strike on United States
By Jung Ha-Won (AFP) – 5 hours ago
SEOUL — North Korea dramatically escalated its warlike rhetoric on Thursday, warning that it had authorised plans for nuclear strikes on targets in the United States.
"The moment of explosion is approaching fast," the North Korean military said, warning that war could break out "today or tomorrow".
Pyongyang's latest pronouncement came as Washington scrambled to reinforce its Pacific missile defences, preparing to send ground-based interceptors to Guam and dispatching two Aegis class destroyers to the region.
Tension was also high on the North's heavily fortified border with South Korea, after Kim Jong-Un's isolated regime barred South Koreans from entering a Seoul-funded joint industrial park on its side of the frontier.
In a statement published by the state KCNA news agency, the Korean People's Army general staff warned Washington that US threats would be "smashed by... cutting-edge smaller, lighter and diversified nuclear strike means".
"The merciless operation of our revolutionary armed forces in this regard has been finally examined and ratified," the statement said.

http://www.google.co...952b88ddefeb.01

#111 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,985 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:15 AM

Bay of Pigs 2.0. But all out front and junk and every nation knows what Jong's play is. I don't like where this is headed.

#112 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

So why does N. Korea want to blow us up? I know we use to give them money and food. Did we stop? Do they claim we've done things to wrong them?

#113 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

yes and yes! sanctions against them is one of their bitches....shutting down their nuke program is another. Satellite images are showing that NK has started making repairs to a cooling tower that was damged after the 2007 shutdown of one if it's Nuke Plants. Apparently they are putting in alternative cooling system that would enable them to begin recommissioning within weeks. Not sure what comes next but it sure seems lots of people are banking on them not having capability to launch anything significant that his the US...but there's enough other targets in the way, SK, Japan, Guam, Hawaii etc. Who knows for sure what they exactly have. Bay of Pigs 2.0 is one thing, but I think this dude is crazy enough to lash out at least some.

#114 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,484 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

North Korea threatens, Pentagon Yawns

The way it goes, North Korea makes a bellicose, over-the-top threat to the U.S. and the Western world, and then the White House and world leaders issue strongly-worded responses, or maybe tack on some sanctions. Usually, by contrast the Pentagon coolly lays low on the sidelines, saying there’s no reason to do more of anything because the U.S. military has North Korea well-watched and covered anyway.

But what about when Kim Jong-Un threatens the world with outright nuclear war? That’s a new one, peninsula watchers are warning. According to current and former DOD officials, however, the answer is not as exciting as one might think.

We are always ready to go to war on the Korean Peninsula within a matter of hours,” said one former Defense Department official, who spoke to the E-Ring anonymously to discuss sensitive information.

It turns out, that's the boring truth.

“No change -- routinely have AEGIS ships throughout the [area of responsibility] -- have not altered threat level and repositioned ships,” said Lt. Cmdr. Chris Servello, a Navy spokesman at the Pentagon, in an email.

That’s pretty much the stock answer from most military commands following any North Korean bluster, including the purposeful mention of AEGIS ships. Those are cruisers and destroyers equipped with the AEGIS Combat System, aka missile defense. The ships are the mobile, sea-based leg of the U.S.’s defense against ballistic missiles, which is how North Korea likely would be delivering a nuclear warhead outside of its borders to nearby targets.

Inside the Pentagon, the former DOD official said typically following a North Korean threat there is a lot of “intelligence churn” to see if any movements on the ground match the rhetoric. But the U.S. military does not have to move big weapons, ships, aircraft, nor change alert levels.

There’s a difference between somebody saying we’re going to nuke you, and somebody saying we’re going to nuke you, and then our satellites noticing missiles on the move,” the official said.

North Korea is one of the most watched places on the globes. The US continually monitors their military movements. When their movements match their rhetoric, then its time to get worried. Otherwise, its just another temper tantrum.

#115 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

hopefully! I did read that the US did move some missile defense to Guam, just in case.

it's never easy to know what your opponent will do next when that opponent is a raging lunatic!

#116 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

So why does N. Korea want to blow us up? I know we use to give them money and food. Did we stop? Do they claim we've done things to wrong them?

It's pretty systematic, and a throwback to the Korean war...

http://www.dailymail...ndergarten.html

I agree America is pretty imperialistic.

Saber-rattling, crimes against their democratic southern neighbors, and violence, however, aren't really steps in the right direction for their foreign policy.

Basically, my opinion is that NK has pretty much been a Tyranny veiled as a Communist state for a long time now.

#117 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

North Korea threatens, Pentagon Yawns

North Korea is one of the most watched places on the globes. The US continually monitors their military movements. When their movements match their rhetoric, then its time to get worried. Otherwise, its just another temper tantrum.

South Korea says North Korea has moved a missile with "considerable range" to its east coast after an unnamed spokesman for the North Korean army warned the U.S. Wednesday that its military has been cleared to wage an attack using "smaller, lighter and diversified nuclear" weapons.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz2PVNdKxjM

#118 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,484 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz2PVNdKxjM

Linking Fox? Next thing we know, you will be linking Rush Limbaugh articles. ;)

NK is a small country. If the missile has that much range, then why would they need to move it? Unless they were moving it from a storage and maintenance facility to the launching facility, which is possible. But if that is the case, then why just move one? If they are really planning on attacking, I would think they would move most of their missiles. If its not the case, then this is just a way of enhancing their rhetoric.

The real things to watch that might indicate they are preparing for war is if they start calling up reserves (assuming they have reserves), fueling tanks and fighters and dispersing them, moving troops up to the border, submarines and ships putting to sea in large numbers, etc....

That is not to say its impossible that they could attack, or that we would be 100% aware of their intentions, but I think its safe to say that they are highly unlikely to attack. Kim Jong-un and most of the NK leadership would likely die within hours of launching a nuclear attack on anyone, especially if aimed at the US. It would be absolute suicide and they have to know this.

#119 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

Meanwhile...., behind the phasad of this innocent looking, 3rd world sh%thole....., "Holy tyrannical dictator, someone summon the RODMAN quick " !!!!!!!!!!!!

#120 catfang

catfang

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,625 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

It's pretty systematic, and a throwback to the Korean war...

http://www.dailymail...ndergarten.html

I agree America is pretty imperialistic.

Saber-rattling, crimes against their democratic southern neighbors, and violence, however, aren't really steps in the right direction for their foreign policy.

Basically, my opinion is that NK has pretty much been a Tyranny veiled as a Communist state for a long time now.

Don't forget their horrible human rights record, and the gulags.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com