MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,970 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:11 AM

Blank is paying $800m while Atlanta would be on the hook for $200m

Atlanta paying $200m to replace a stadium that the city/ state already paid for with tax dollars vs. Charlotte being asked for $144m for renovations on s stadium that the tax monies DID NOT pay for.

Anyone who can't see the financial and logical difference in these two situations is hopeless

#34 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:42 AM

Both are owners using emotional leverage to squeeze local governments for handouts for their own personal gain.

It's not as bad as how bad Mike Brown and the Bengals fleeced Hamilton County, at least.

#35 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,377 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:04 AM

The biscuit can has been popped.

Hey! ;)

#36 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,970 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

Both are owners using emotional leverage to squeeze local governments for handouts for their own personal gain.

It's not as bad as how bad Mike Brown and the Bengals fleeced Hamilton County, at least.

I am not debating whether public funds should go to support private businesses...that is another debate entirely. City and state governments subsidize every major corporation that they are trying to lure or keep in their tax jurisdiction.

I am just pointing out that the total gov't funding for the renovated Panthers Stadium (if the proposal were expected) is HUGELY less than the amount that Atlanta has pumped into the existing and newly proposed stadiums......because someone brought up Atlanta as an example of something that was better.

#37 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:09 AM

Anyone else think if the Panthers were a good football team that this would not even be an issue locally?

#38 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,967 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

Nope.

I do wish he approached winning with the same vigor he does the business side of the franchise

#39 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:54 AM

I'm actually surprised that they don't make more, but private companies are tricky because they usually don't disclose salaries. JR could be paying himself 5 mil a year then collecting profits. Frankly, I have no problem with the numbers and how he used them to his advantage b

#40 Louie

Louie

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

Anyone else think if the Panthers were a good football team that this would not even be an issue locally?

I think that statement is 100% on the money. The city and the state, for that matter, would probably be bending over backwards to give them money if the Panthers were on the same level as New England, NYG, or Baltimore.

#41 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,038 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

What cracks me up about this is the number of people who instantly form an opinion of this matter before knowing the facts. Here are a few facts:

The biggest concern I had with the PSL concept was that it would lock in the season ticket holders. What motivation would they have to win if they did not have to worry about selling 70,000 tickets every year? Would they use the small market as an excuse to stay at the cap floor instead of the ceiling?

Except for the lockout, and JR was wise to do what he did then (we should have come out a big winner, but Marty went stupid with the windfall), the Panthers are always at the top of the league in cap spending--they still are.

People called JR cheap and still do. JR's biggest flaw was not firing Marty Hurney when he let Fox go. Marty has always been the problem here.

Deadspin threw out a misleading article that could hurt the Panthers' chances of getting a fair deal here. Sure, the Panthers profit here--they should. They assume the risk of the investment. And yes, the local businesses who prosper from the Panther organization and the stadium should be taxed--not the businesses in Raleigh or Columbia.

The Panthers have done more for Charlotte than any amount of tax money could create. Make the parasites pay their fair share. Stop blaming the team that invests about a quarter of a billion $$ each year for turning a profit.

#42 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,038 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

double

#43 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,678 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

1. So... the Panthers essentially admit to tanking the 2010 season, opting to label it "team had strategically reduced its spending."

2. Since selling my PSLs, I no longer care about how "profitable" the Panthers may or may not be. What I'd really like to know is just how much taxes they pay. If they make $120M or $1M it means nothing to Charlotte unless they're paying their share of taxes.

#44 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

1. So... the Panthers essentially admit to tanking the 2010 season, opting to label it "team had strategically reduced its spending."

2. Since selling my PSLs, I no longer care about how "profitable" the Panthers may or may not be. What I'd really like to know is just how much taxes they pay. If they make $120M or $1M it means nothing to Charlotte unless they're paying their share of taxes.

It was reported somewhere that they have paid +$600 million in taxes since '95. Or maybe not. I've been drinking.

#45 CLEARHOT

CLEARHOT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationSomewhere In NC

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

In a larger context the US gives billions of your federal tax dollars to "our good friends" in Pakistan. I wouldn't get y'all s panties in wad over an extra 35 cents for a cheeseburger and a beer the next time your in Charlotte if it helps upgrade our stadium.

http://www.reuters.c...E73K7F420110421

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com