Photo
- - - - -

How do I learn to respect people and put my ego aside?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 TNPanther

TNPanther

Jimmie Rustler

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

So this semester for me was going pretty well so far. I pledged a professional business fraternity and I thought the process was going pretty well. Tonight was midterms, where they evaluated our pledge class and determined if each of us individually was worthy of continuing with the pledge process. The brotherhood voted me out of the fraternity because, as I was told, they felt I wasn't respectful/professional when I addressed them, and that I should address them as I would an employer.

It's honestly hard for me to treat someone my age the same as I would someone older in a position of authority. But it's something I need to learn before I near graduation and begin looking for jobs. I often have trouble putting my ego aside in situations such as this. Anybody had these same experiences and/or issues?

#2 Smitty Is Our Savior

Smitty Is Our Savior

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:44 AM

If it makes you any better, I got a 62 on a midterm in my major field last week.

You win some, you lose some.

As for your ego, I dunno. Be humble, notice other people being better than you at everything. Stuff like that.

#3 logic1977

logic1977

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

You'll grow out of it.

#4 Baby Andy Reid

Baby Andy Reid

finally someone fatter than Alice

• HUDDLER
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:48 AM

You should really respect everyone. Regardless of their position and/or age. You dont really go in to detail, but it sounds like they thought you were being a douche or had an atittude. Honestly if some one in a frat thinks your a douche you may have a problem. Its fine to think you are smarter then everyone in a room, however its not fine to act like it. Arrogance (sp) gets you no where, being humble and taking pride in your work gets you everywhere. Letting someone else notice how great you are is a million times better then telling everyone how great you think you are.

Again not sure on the whole situation and not trying to offend you.

#5 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

Mistake #1. Joining a faggy frat. Think i'm treating you like you my fuging boss? yall go to the same school fug that.

#6 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,609 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

go play rugby

#7 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,714 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

when you're young, it's really easy to think you've gotten everything figured out. It really annoys those of us who have had everything figured out for years.

#8 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,609 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

Oh and you should have walked up and punched one of them and said you will try to work on it.

drop the microphone and walk out

#9 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 11,204 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

You should learn when to kiss ass and when to tell people to go fug them selves. Generally, you should be nice to everyone but if someone is pushing, always push back unless its ur superior. I was an officer of Beta Alpha Psi. People voted me in because they liked me as person not because of my professional skills... My professional skills still shitty as hell even tho I work with big people upstairs. I drop "F" bomb at least 10-15 at work everyday while having a casual conversation.

#10 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

learn to think of everyone as an equal, regardless of age and position...life will be so much easier

#11 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,810 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

I try to set the tone with the mindset I'm going to learn from someone and go from there.

The one thing I can't do is kiss ass. I have to call it like I see it. It may have cost me on the corporate ladder but my soul and honor is intact. Now my wallet is another matter.

#12 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

• HUDDLER
  • 6,031 posts
  • LocationRiverboat Rivera

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

I don't know how anyone could take "The Brotherhood" seriously.

#13 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,457 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

It's impossible to form any kind of respectable opinion about this without actually seeing how you interacted with these Frat dudes in person.

If it's a professional business frat shouldn't they have addressed your failings at an earlier point ?

Sounds like the Econ nerds are pissed that they are Econ nerds and needed to exert superiority on someone.

In life treat people as you want to be treated.

#14 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,618 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

Business is a tad different than life. Determine if there is any chance that an individual can help/hinder your progress. Not just in the now but 10 years from now. that whole "burning bridges" thing is true. If the answer is "no, they can't help or hinder me" then tell them to fug off and get out of your way. Its OK to play the game when you need to if it is going to help you succeed. But i respect bottom-line people. If you don't want to buy what I'm selling tell me to fug off, I'm a man I can take it.

#15 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

you will learn real quick that this is a real small world. You will turn around one day and find that person you told to fug off is now your CEO!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.