Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why we don't actually follow the Steeler model

78 posts in this topic

Posted

Honestly, we don't follow ANY winning franchise's model...look at the Pats, Packers, Steelers, they don't hold on to dead weight.

Also, look at how much those are spending on runners (and that is without a bonus runner as QB).

They spend chump change there. Rest of the roster is more important

Posted

I agree that he needs to take a paycut but I believe that right now, he's our best option a RB. Yes Stew is a beast but an injury prone beast. A paycut is in demand, if not...then we should cut him, if the numbers are favorable to us.

Posted

I agree that he needs to take a paycut but I believe that right now, he's our best option at). Yes Stew is a beast but an injury prone beast. A paycut is in demand, if not...then we should cut him, if the numbers are favorable to us.

Totally agree

Posted

Yeah, the fact he is now 30.....hasnt logged 1000 yards in YEARS is all irrelevant. Nothing factual at suggesting having him being one of the highest paid runners in the NFL on a team loaded with runners is a bad investment.

He's 29 NOW.

He hasn't hit the 1k benchmark since we got a franchise RB who can also run the ball. Trying to pin that on just Williams is moronic, at best.

The year before the running game was the sole focus of defenses. They knew Clausen wasn't going to beat them. However, after those "down" seasons he still has a career YPC of 4.9

By the same line of "reasoning" we should cut Stewart since he's only eclipsed 1k yards once in four years, has a lower YPC AND more fumbles despite less carries. On paper the only advantage he provides is youth, though you could argue that on running style.

Posted

Also, look at how much those are spending on runners (and that is without a bonus runner as QB).

They spend chump change there. Rest of the roster is more important

Exactly. A good o-line would make ANY RB look like a star, RB's are a dime a dozen. Offensive line should be our main focus in FA.

Posted

He's 29 NOW.

He hasn't hit the 1k benchmark since we got a franchise RB who can also run the ball. Trying to pin that on just Williams is moronic, at best.

The year before the running game was the sole focus of defenses. They knew Clausen wasn't going to beat them. However, after those "down" seasons he still has a career YPC of 4.9

By the same line of "reasoning" we should cut Stewart since he's only eclipsed 1k yards once in four years, has a lower YPC AND more fumbles despite less carries. On paper the only advantage he provides is youth, though you could argue that on running style.

Who cares....we are talking about the 2013 season and football. He turns 30 in a month. That makes him a 30 yr old RB going forward.

Not pinning Cam on him....that is just one is the reasons he is even more luxury than ever before. Situation matters....and dictates how valuable he is to us. Our situation dictates he is a drastically overpaid roleplayer....

Posted

Guys, we have Cam, Tolbert, Stewart, and Dwill. We have too many runners, our run game would not hurt if we cut Dwill and gave Tolbert a bigger payload.

Posted

He's 29 NOW.

Stew also has more receiving yards. Moreover he has been rated by PFF as one of the most elusive backs in the NFL, if not the best. OF course he was hurt last year, and I don't know how this metric was effected, but theoretically he has the potential to be the best in regards to productivity,

Posted

Who cares....we are talking about the 2013 season and football. He turns 30 in a month. That makes him a 30 yr old RB going forward.

Not pinning Cam on him....that is just one is the reasons he is even more luxury than ever before. Situation matters....and dictates how valuable he is to us. Our situation dictates he is a drastically overpaid roleplayer....

You're the one who said "he's 30 now." You were wrong, I pointed it out.

I'm not arguing that he's overpaid and I wouldn't have been too upset with letting him go, but you formulated a bad argument with a bad contract to Harrison.

Also, citing the Steelers as your example the year after they feel to make the playoffs also has a ring of irony to it.

Posted

Guys, we have Cam, Tolbert, Stewart, and Dwill. We have too many runners, our run game would not hurt if we cut Dwill and gave Tolbert a bigger payload.

Not to mention that we have Armond Smith to help out.

Posted

Stew also has more receiving yards. Moreover he has been rated by PFF as one of the most elusive backs in the NFL, if not the best. OF course he was hurt last year, and I don't know how this metric was effected, but theoretically he has the potential to be the best in regards to productivity,

Last season he was -30 yards to Williams in receiving yards.

My point is really that he was a victim of the OL and the scheme, like much of the offense was.

Yes, he;s overpaid. Yes, he's almost 30. But that doesn't mean he's not and can not be a very effect RB. As a matter of fact I think both he and Stewart have "bounce back" years with Shula getting back to running the ball more.

Posted

Yeah, but some of you are acting like our running game will fall apart without Williams. I just don't believe it.