• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#91 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

We need money but we need to field a competent team first and foremost. Cutting Gross would be one of the stupidest things this team could possibly do. I am confident they will work something out to alleviate his cap situation and keep him here throughout the remainder of his career.

#92 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,979 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

Restructuring Gross and Beason easily gets us to 10 million without doing anything with WIlliams. I suspect he will be here for this year and released next year if Stewart has a better year than last year. Hard to dump Williams when Stewart is coming off surgery and a down year. There are no guarantees he will be 100%.

That would be true is we where a 1 RB oritented ground attack. We aren't.

Dump a runner....and maybe, the other runners could come close to earning their checks. maybe.

If Stewart isn't 100%...Cam, Tolbert, plus cheap RB is an above average rush attack behind a decent OL

#93 CollegePanther

CollegePanther

President

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

"Only if we give you a job when you're done playing football? Sure, we'll make you OL coach."

#94 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,566 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:49 PM

My feeling is that Gettlemen will offer Gross a fair contract which will lower the cap hit. It is probably more up to Gross on whether he is here, or not, next year. Counteroffer, and back and forth, should bring us a contract both sides can live with. I just happen to be able to see this scenario working out.

It costs about the same to lose him as to keep him. So you might as well try and work out some sort of deal. I have a feeling Gross and DWill will both give us some relief. Throw in Beason, and we should be fine without losing two key players. Three counting Beast.

Restructures and tweaks should allow us to upgrade a few positions through FA. RG chief among them. I may even hope for a DT to pair with Dwan. We may not be able to afford any elite type players, but this year we can upgrade a few positions, at a reasonable price.

Take a step back and allow yourself to see clearly. We are not that far behind. A few good moves and we are competitive. Draft well and we are even better. Let yourself see the bright side. Contrary to popular belief, it really is painless.

All sorts of reasons to be excited over the future. As I have said before. The future has already started. We are just positioning ourselves for the long haul. Doing things right is a foreign concept round these parts. That is why folks are still a tad leery. Have no fear, Gettlemen is here.

#95 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,224 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:02 AM

They're going to demand the same as what Gross is making now. Why keep paying an aging vet? If he won't take a pay cut, I'd gladly cut him in favor of someone else. Through FA or the draft.

So you would replace Gross with Long, Clady, Winston, or Smith.

Clady....absolute beast, but is going nowhere

Long...played well early, but his play has really splipped the past few seasons and he cannot stay healthy.

Winston/Smith are both downgrades from Gross. They tried Winston as LT in KC, but he struggled. They moved him to the right side.

The above names will cost as much (or very near) what we play Gross and the ones that we can get are downgrades.

The moves you suggested were dumb to say the least.

#96 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,963 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

That would be true is we where a 1 RB oritented ground attack. We aren't.

Dump a runner....and maybe, the other runners could come close to earning their checks. maybe.

If Stewart isn't 100%...Cam, Tolbert, plus cheap RB is an above average rush attack behind a decent OL

Gentleman said that Cam will be a pocket passer this year. You are the only guy who constantly wants to make him a running back. Get with the program. He is not going to be used like the past 2 years. So no that isn't how we are going to use him and saying it over and over isnt going to make it so. Gettleman is smart enough not to get Newton hurt. And please don't waste my time with how Newton should be used. Take that up with the GM..

#97 tukafan21

tukafan21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

Gentleman said that Cam will be a pocket passer this year. You are the only guy who constantly wants to make him a running back. Get with the program. He is not going to be used like the past 2 years. So no that isn't how we are going to use him and saying it over and over isnt going to make it so. Gettleman is smart enough not to get Newton hurt. And please don't waste my time with how Newton should be used. Take that up with the GM..

He can be a pocket passer all he wants, but that isn't going to stop us from having 2-5 designed runs for Cam every game. To not do that would be more idiotic than anything.

Not because he needs or should be used that way, but because it forces teams to have to prepare for it, if teams know its not coming, than it limits the potential this offense can have.

He'll also still probably have 5ish runs every game from just scrambling because is still going to be in his nature to take off when the pocket collapses and he sees an opening.

#98 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,224 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

I think we are all getting into too many arguments on how Cam will be used going forward.

We have a new OC and a new GM. None of us have any clue what the strategy will now be.

Debating the pros and cons of different philosophies is valid and informative.

Those who keep arguing about how they know anything are comical.

#99 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,963 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

He can be a pocket passer all he wants, but that isn't going to stop us from having 2-5 designed runs for Cam every game. To not do that would be more idiotic than anything.

Not because he needs or should be used that way, but because it forces teams to have to prepare for it, if teams know its not coming, than it limits the potential this offense can have.

He'll also still probably have 5ish runs every game from just scrambling because is still going to be in his nature to take off when the pocket collapses and he sees an opening.

Saying that he would have a few designed runs ( I think 5 is too many in Gettleman's view) which is still up in the air until the season starts and we see what actually happens is a far cry from saying that he is going to be an integral part of the running attack rendering Williams unnecessary. Particularly with Shula saying we are going away from the read option and will more of a power running team. And scrambling is something that happens when protection breaks down which is also an area that Gettleman will try and fix the O line. Frankly it remains to be seen what we are going to do but the fact we haven't cut Williams yet tells me that Gettleman still sees value in keeping him if he can.

#100 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,321 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:22 AM

Didn't Clady get tagged?

#101 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,963 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:29 AM

I think we are all getting into too many arguments on how Cam will be used going forward.

We have a new OC and a new GM. None of us have any clue what the strategy will now be.

Debating the pros and cons of different philosophies is valid and informative.

Those who keep arguing about how they know anything are comical.

If you listen to what Shula and Gettleman have said the plan is for Newton to be a pocket passer and for us to go to a more power running game. Whether we actually do that or not remains to be seen. But the plan is already in place and we will draft and pick up people in free agency with that plan in mind. That is pretty clear and not really up for debate.

#102 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

So you would replace Gross with Long, Clady, Winston, or Smith.

Clady....absolute beast, but is going nowhere

Long...played well early, but his play has really splipped the past few seasons and he cannot stay healthy.

Winston/Smith are both downgrades from Gross. They tried Winston as LT in KC, but he struggled. They moved him to the right side.

The above names will cost as much (or very near) what we play Gross and the ones that we can get are downgrades.

The moves you suggested were dumb to say the least.

It's not dumb. I wish some people would just quit holding grudges on me.

#103 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

Just a theory but it probably has something to do with your constant making random poo up to fit what you think.

#104 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,224 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

Your proposal was based on replacing Gross with players who are no better....and would cost just as much.

sorry....not buying it.

#105 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,224 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

If you listen to what Shula and Gettleman have said the plan is for Newton to be a pocket passer and for us to go to a more power running game. Whether we actually do that or not remains to be seen. But the plan is already in place and we will draft and pick up people in free agency with that plan in mind. That is pretty clear and not really up for debate.

I agree with you that you can read between the lines of what Shula and Gettleman have said. But, I am interested to see how the beginning of the season plays out before making any real conclusions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com