156 replies to this topic

#91 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,874 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

show me a draft prospect in this year's draft that has faster on-field game speed than Austin...

#92 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

show me a draft prospect in this year's draft that has faster on-field game speed than Austin...

Is speed all that matters? Like Deshawn Jackson found out sooner or later you have to take a big hit. Not saying Austin can't do that. But speed isn't every thing

#93 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,874 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

I'm not the one saying that straight line speed is the only thing Austin has...

RBs take big hits all the time.

It's also hard to hit someone when your ankles are broke.

Only a couple of you are talking like Austin's biggest thing is his speed.

#94 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,183 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

LOL. And some people want to live in fantasy land and think Austin will never get hit by Safeties, while going over the middle. LOL

#95 BigSyke

BigSyke

• HUDDLER
  • 2,183 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

And I know he's not talking about me. I've said that maybe Tavon could be a yac monster, just not a deep threat.(just because he runs a 4.3 does not mean he automatically a deep threat lol)

#96 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,424 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

And I know he's not talking about me. I've said that maybe Tavon could be a yac monster, just not a deep threat.(just because he runs a 4.3 does not mean he automatically a deep threat lol)

But just because he didn't go deep often in college and wasn't called upon to stretch the field vertically does not mean he can't be a deep threat either. If he has the drive and toughness, which reports say he does, he can better himself and develop that part of his game while still being a deadly weapon underneath, out of the slot, and out of the backfield.

#97 jungleking

jungleking

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

There have been a lot of other players with same problem who's gotten past that. Let's not play stupid here. My point is if we were going by 1 year of judgment on a rookie then.
Steve Smith would still be just a special teamer.
CJ would have been cut.
Hardy would have been cut.
James Anderson would have never been a starter.
Point is it's way to early to make a final judgment.

It's too early to make a final judgment, but by your logic we can't draft a player at any position if an unproven player is already in that spot. We're not talking about a highly talented player that the organization invested a lot in. Adams was a 4th round pick who has played like worse. If the slot receiver/space player position is important enough to the offense to warrant a high pick, Tavon is a blue-chip player. It's like saying we shouldn't draft a corner because of Josh Norman, except Josh Norman can actually get ont he field for us right now.

#98 BigSyke

BigSyke

• HUDDLER
  • 2,183 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

But just because he didn't go deep often in college and wasn't called upon to stretch the field vertically does not mean he can't be a deep threat either. If he has the drive and toughness, which reports say he does, he can better himself and develop that part of his game while still being a deadly weapon underneath, out of the slot, and out of the backfield.

Meh.......Stedman has avg speed right? Why don't you put him in the slot and let Tavon use his 4.3 speed to stretch the field in college? Are the coaches dumb? Or is it that the slot fits his play skill better?

Every deep threat in the Nfl that I look up, while in college; had at least a 15-20 average per catch, with about 46 balls caught, seven touchdowns and about 852 yards.

Nothing really stands out about them EXCEPT their AVERAGE PER CATCH!

#99 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

Meh.......Stedman has avg speed right? Why don't you put him in the slot and let Tavon use his 4.3 speed to stretch the field in college? Are the coaches dumb? Or is it that the slot fits his play skill better?

Every deep threat in the Nfl that I look up, while in college; had at least a 15-20 average per catch, with about 46 balls caught, seven touchdowns and about 852 yards.

Nothing really stands out about them EXCEPT their AVERAGE PER CATCH!

Kind of hard for Austin to have a high average per catch. 35% of the time he was receiving a 4 inch touch pass stright from Smith. That is the reason for his low average per catch.

Also I wouldnt call Holgersen dumb his teams usually have the highest producing QB and WR every year. One reason Im not high on Geno Smith. Good QB but the system he ran is why he had a high completion percentage.

#100 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

It's too early to make a final judgment, but by your logic we can't draft a player at any position if an unproven player is already in that spot. We're not talking about a highly talented player that the organization invested a lot in. Adams was a 4th round pick who has played like worse. If the slot receiver/space player position is important enough to the offense to warrant a high pick, Tavon is a blue-chip player. It's like saying we shouldn't draft a corner because of Josh Norman, except Josh Norman can actually get ont he field for us right now.

I'm not saying teams don't do it. I just don't think it's smart for this team. We are not a team that offense runs threw having a great slot WR. So why use such a high pick on one? That's like drafting a scat back in the 1st round and your a powering run team. It a nice addition but one you shouldn't spend highly on.

#101 jungleking

jungleking

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

I'm not saying teams don't do it. I just don't think it's smart for this team. We are not a team that offense runs threw having a great slot WR. So why use such a high pick on one? That's like drafting a scat back in the 1st round and your a powering run team. It a nice addition but one you shouldn't spend highly on.

When's the last time that we had three good wide receivers to consistently run out there?

Although with the way Olsen and Tolbert are paid, you're likely correct. Going to be an interesting pick if Tavon is still on the board.

#102 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

When's the last time that we had three good wide receivers to consistently run out there?

Although with the way Olsen and Tolbert are paid, you're likely correct. Going to be an interesting pick if Tavon is still on the board.

Smitty, Moose, and Prohel. But Wiggins was the TE not a player like Olsen. And like you said we didn't have a FB like Tolbert who needs touches.

#103 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 19,044 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

Posted Image

#104 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 19,044 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:12 AM

#105 BigSyke

BigSyke

• HUDDLER
  • 2,183 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

Still not buying into Tavon as a deep threat, but he might be a good Wes Welker type of slot. If you notice most slots always catch a lot of balls anyways, but sometimes deep threat will catch a lot of balls too.

Difference is that deep threats avg 15 yards per catch when they snab a 100 balls and slots avg 11 yards per catch when they snab a 100 balls.

You look at avg per catch to see if a guy is a deep threat. Sorry guys unless you come with numbers......IM NOT GOING TO LISTEN. Patton can play in the slot and the outside. And he has not reached his potential...lol I bet they thought Jerry Rice had reached his ceiling because he came fro a small school. LOL

I have not seen many deep threats in the NFL that did not show that ability in college.

Even an undrafted free agent like Victor Cruz wasn't just a unknown slouch. DUDE was a DEEP THREAT IN COLLEGE. He just happened to go to a small school.

Bring more stats and facts or don't bother replying back. PEACE!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com