No news on Gross

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 csx

csx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

I don' see why a player would not be willing to participate in a restructure. It means more cash up front. A pay cut is a different thing altogether. I wouldn't worry about it, it will get taken care of (or not) regardless of worry.

#12 MHS831

MHS831

HUDDLER

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

If this continues or reaches an impass, I doubt Gross plays next season on the current contract. I think a cut is possible, becoming closer to probable the longer we have to wait. I doubt this happens, but it could.

#13 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

I'm not disappointed players are volunteering to give up their money at the end of their careers.

It's a business to them, loyalty plays a very small part.

this. to us its little more than monopoly money b/c it's just an obscene amount of money. to them, it's a significant amount of what should end up being their retirement and their ability to support their family.

sorry, but there's no organization i would work for where i would volunteer to take less money unless my job or maybe the future of the company as in closing its doors for good. to take less money just so the org. had more cash for operating? nah....not my fault they didn't plan well enough.

#14 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• LocationNC
SUPPORTER

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

I don' see why a player would not be willing to participate in a restructure. It means more cash up front. A pay cut is a different thing altogether. I wouldn't worry about it, it will get taken care of (or not) regardless of worry.

In theory yes, but we don't know what they're asking of him.

#15 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• LocationKurby
HUDDLER

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

I have a feeling Gross will be cut. We're a young team that's isn't built to win now. As much as Chico needs to win now, he won't. And Gettleman knows that. He's building this team toward the future. He's going to get rid of these bad contracts. If Gross doesn't believe that he need to take a pay cut, he'll be gutted.

#16 SpeedOFLight

SpeedOFLight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationGreensboro NC
HUDDLER

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

It is a business. I don't blame players for "volunteering" to take a pay cut. I understand loyalty but sometimes loyalty does not hold much substance in this business of the nfl. (ie. A GM can cut in an instance without even giving you prior notification) I leave the money side of the nfl up to the front office and players. I'm not a GM. I just cheer on my boys :)

#17 Fan01

Fan01

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

There are a lot of average to slightly above average tackles out there in FA and the draft is tackle heavy. There is little hometown discount or real loyalty on the part of the team. This is a business and as a business an average to above average tackles is not being paid 8.7 million dollars for a year of service. If the going rate is 5-6 million for a year then either Gross takes a paycut or we get another tackle that's just as servicible for 5-6 million and we take that extra 3.7 and get a decent cornor or guard.

Gross will realize that if he is cut no other team is going to offer him 8.7 million. The trick is for him to find out his market value and then we give me a little bit more. The bottom line is do you want to stay a Panther for 5 million a year or do you want to go play for the Jets or the Raiders for 5 million a year. Those are really his only two choices if Gettlemen is series about paying real value.

It only becomes a problem is Jerry starts crying and getting emotional about it. Gross has no leverage and in bidness it's all about your leverage.

#18 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

HUDDLER

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

Smh.

#19 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

There are a lot of average to slightly above average tackles out there in FA and the draft is tackle heavy. There is little hometown discount or real loyalty on the part of the team. This is a business and as a business an average to above average tackles is not being paid 8.7 million dollars for a year of service. If the going rate is 5-6 million for a year then either Gross takes a paycut or we get another tackle that's just as servicible for 5-6 million and we take that extra 3.7 and get a decent cornor or guard.

Gross will realize that if he is cut no other team is going to offer him 8.7 million. The trick is for him to find out his market value and then we give me a little bit more. The bottom line is do you want to stay a Panther for 5 million a year or do you want to go play for the Jets or the Raiders for 5 million a year. Those are really his only two choices if Gettlemen is series about paying real value.

It only becomes a problem is Jerry starts crying and getting emotional about it. Gross has no leverage and in bidness it's all about your leverage.

Gross has leverage.

B/c Gettlemen knows he can't replace Gross in 2013 without downgrading and exposing Cam to a bigger risk.

#20 jtm

jtm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

I think Gettleman is going to put his stamp on this team and guys are going to take pay cuts or be cut. There is a lot of talent in free agency and I expect to see more Panthers cuts and replaced by one year agreements in free agency.

I think Gross might be one of these cuts given that his restructure hasn't already happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users