Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proudiddy

Full Disclosure: I CAN'T Get a Job

104 posts in this topic

Maybe look into a trade? I don't know of any good electricians that are out of work.

1 person likes this

I have a degree in Engineering and I make more money driving a beer truck. Perhaps I should have gone with Architectural Engineering instead of Electronic... :)

I bet Proudiddy has his driver's license. Maybe you can hook him up with a route?

One of my godbrothers went to Full Sail because he loved the film/music industry and being a part of the creative process there. He now works in audio engineering for Disney...not sure if Full Sail is still a viable option nowadays, this was about 10-12 years ago. I seem to remember he said they were really good with apprenticeships that translated into careers.

Of course, this is the free spirit who took a year off of this job a few years ago and traveled the world as Shrek in the musical, met his wife in Thailand, and was married by a witch doctor in Singapore. fugin' weirdo.

LOL, wow. Yeah, I saw their ads over the last two years, and I had never heard of them before so I thought it was kind of scammy looking. So that's pretty cool. I don't know how people would rate them now either though.

What's crazy is, one of my professors is a pretty big figure in independent/art films and I had talked to him about going to law school once I graduated, just to "have it in my back pocket," and he looked at with disappointment. He's originally from China and his family apparently pushed him to go the doctor route, so he studied medicine, became a doctor, and then went full-fledged into film and abandoned the medical field altogether.

I was one of his favorite students for whatever reason, and he said I could always use him as a resource, but I just struggle with that grown up work vs. dream work dilemma. And our program had apprenticeships and internships available through UNC... But, I just didn't even apply for them because of my family situation and I've always wanted to do it myself, which hasn't always been the right way, but oh well...

Maybe look into a trade? I don't know of any good electricians that are out of work.

Trade skills in general are good to have IMO.

Some are punished by illegal labor being paid on the extreme cheap, but good Plumbers, Masons, Electricians, etc usually stay busy.

Actually, I wasn't lying the many times I've said that I want to be like you when I grow up. Problem is, I'm pretty grown up now, lol.

I paid a guy 600 bucks to spend 2 hours in my garage wiring it. That ain't bad.

Not sure where you are located, proudiddy, but Red Oak in Greensboro is hiring drivers to sling beer.

(I'm not employed with Red Oak, but word through the grapevine hit me today...then just saw them post it on FB)

...their beer is excellent local brew.

I think your biggest problem is that you are stalling.

Your background will seem a bit dicey if there are tremendous holes in it. I also sense a bit of entitlement in your post. The truth is, you are not entitled to anything because you have a degree. Also, although you may think you are "killing it" in your interviews, you may want to consider the possibility that you are not doing well in those interviews.

You need to go get a job ASAP. It does not have to be something you want to do. It shows the people you are interviewing with, that you don't mind "working your way up" to get ahead.

I'm not an expert in your career field, however I am a hiring manager who looks at a few hundred resumes each month. I have hired 5 people who make six figures in the past year.

Best of luck, be humble, I'd hire someone who shows they have put in the work with lesser companies, than someone who has all the creditials but lacks a work ethic.

Actually, I wasn't lying the many times I've said that I want to be like you when I grow up. Problem is, I'm pretty grown up now, lol.

I worked for 10 years for someone else until I was 33 before I could make a living on my own. Up at 4am, working on my own business, real job at 8am, home at 6pm, family time until 8pm, work on my own business until 10pm. Work on my own crap on weekends. Rinse and repeat for 10 damn years.

2 people like this

Not sure where you are located, proudiddy, but Red Oak in Greensboro is hiring drivers to sling beer.

(I'm not employed with Red Oak, but word through the grapevine hit me today...then just saw them post it on FB)

...their beer is excellent local brew.

Jbro used to work there. He hated it. They can't keep drivers.

I worked for 10 years for someone else until I was 33 before I could make a living on my own. Up at 4am, working on my own business, real job at 8am, home at 6pm, family time until 8pm, work on my own business until 10pm. Work on my own crap on weekends. Rinse and repeat for 10 damn years.

2004 photographer Zod who kept linking Lenses together to get closer shots from outside the fence at training camp.

2004 photographer Zod who kept linking Lenses together to get closer shots from outside the fence at training camp.

haha good times good times.