#61 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,251 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

AND TO EVERYONE that has or will respond to this thread, I truly thank you and appreciate it. It really does mean a lot. I've kind of been sitting on this for a few months now and don't want to put it on Facebook at the risk of coming off as a complete trainwreck and failure - which I'm okay with on the Huddle, LOL. So, to have all of you giving me meaningful advice and feedback... It's awesome. It IS like the old Huddle. And I do take heed and analyze each and every thing you guys have suggested.

Thanks again.

Don't put anything on Facebook!!

So, what do you really want to do? I think what you said was write. My advice, do not see that as an event, but a process. I had a friend tell many about many writing/blog sites, that sometimes a person had to write for free, before anything got picked up for pay. Start looking for them. Start looking for writers' workshops. In the meantime, find something, anything, to contribute to your family's income. See it as the means to an end, working toward your dream.

Identify your goal. Do not expect to reach your goal without sacrifice (i.e., Zod's post). Make a plan and identify the first steps towards the goal/dream. Be careful about setting timelines...they can be traps. Just identify steps....small ones are best.

Good luck.

#62 Baby Andy Reid

Baby Andy Reid

finally someone fatter than Alice

• HUDDLER
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

Degrees arent worth much. I wasnt trying to insult you sorry if it came off that way. Confidence isnt bad, but being insulted by being offered less then you think you should make isnt helping you get a job. Maybe find a place you want to be, take the wage they are offering with the mind set that you are going to make it impossible for them not to promote you. are you in charlotte? Maybe try the time warner call center. I had a friend that was promoted out of the call center in under a month because he out worked lazy people that had been working there for years.

#63 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,308 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

network...network...network...network.

you have to build that first and foremost. i think you said you played hoops or was good at it. man, the # of jobs or leads i have gotten just from playing hoops consistently has been amazing.

plus, while doing that, you build lifetime friends and alot can be learned about someone when they play a game and some adversity comes up etc. those guys you play with can give you insight many of us can't because we aren't around you.

the right person can spend time with you and help unlock some things inside of you that you didn't know existed.

don't look at a job as marriage. like, ok she's the one. im like scrum. my path has been all over the place but my ability to adapt and excel has helped. sure im a contrarian and don't go by the book but those up the food chain know what i can do.

in addition to building your network. find places you can volunteer at. that can get you in front of some power brokers pretty quickly and bam.

#64 sunbunny

sunbunny

• HUDDLER
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

come work at dish. you start off at $14.5/hr. paid training. Only qualifications is good driving record, HS diploma/ged, and can lift 100 pounds. You will work 4 days a week, normally about 11 hrs a day. full benefits and $70 credit per month to go toward your dish tv bill. you can earn up to a $200 bonus each check based on your productivity. There are many other perks such as discounts on cell phone etc. I receive an 18% discount with sprint for being a dish employee. Dish is always hiring and the office is located off of Tyvola in charlotte. you can go here to apply. http://careers.dish.com/

Is there an age minimum? I didn't see anything on the site.

#65 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,506 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

. There I was, strikingly good looking, and working a job that required me to sound a horn, and flip some switches.

Bullshyt.

Just straight talk keepin' it real brother.

#66 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,352 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

Bullshyt.

Just straight talk keepin' it real brother.

LOL. Ok it required more than a couple flipped switches...

#67 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:02 AM

I hate to be blunt but you are not going to get the ideal job right off the bat. The college degree is not a bypass around low paying job. If you are bright, and it sounds like you are, the $8.50 an hour job at a grocery store shouldn't take you long to start moving up the ladder and then you will have experience on your resume.

See, now this I disagree with. No job worth having is going to consider a job at a grocery store viable experience on anyone's resume. I don't think there are many recent college graduates out there these days that haven't hit this brick wall about a thousand times.

Everyone wants experience but nobody wants to give someone an opportunity to gain that experience. It'd sure as hell help if there weren't so many experienced workers out there also looking for work due to the poor economy.

#68 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,187 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:42 AM

This is the problem with more employees than jobs. Sometimes you have to take a stepback to move forward.

#69 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,791 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:07 AM

PD, I haven't read through all the responses so I don't know if I'm repeating something that anyone has already suggested, but have you considered going to bartending school?

Bartending is really about the best paying flexible-schedule job you're going to find as long as you land at the right spot (which isn't hard in Charlotte.) I've been in the same position a number of times in my life. Long story short I got back from trekking around the world for a third of a year, on a high, ready to take the next step in my life, and bam, couldn't find a job, was completely broke, barely owned anything, and I ended up slaving away in the kitchen of a shitty wings restaurant for months in utter stagnation where the highlight of my day was getting to take the trash out because it meant I could get away from the worst boss I've ever had in my life. (You know you're fuged when you eye the trash can to see if it's getting full enough to have an excuse to take it out.)

Anyway so I ended up biting it and spending 800 bucks on bartending school and it's more than paid off. I started tending bar three and a half years ago and it's given me money superior to what you'd make waiting tables, but flexibility that's superior to any kind of a career job that locks you into 9-5 hours with vacay time. But the biggest advantage is that those two things, combined, let you pursue other things independently because you can afford them and because you can fit them into your schedule. I'm busting my ass right now working about 60 hours a week bartending, but it's enabled me to go back to school full time. I couldn't get a job with my BA in history, but now I'm finishing up an anthropology and archaeology degree (equally useless lol) and then transferring to grad school at UNC where I'll get a masters, and then a doctorate, and teach at a university and build my commune.

So I don't have anything to offer as far as what specifically you should study, where you should go back to school, what degree you should get, etc. But if you think of something and you're looking for a way to afford it, by all means, hook up with a bartending school (I think PBI has one in Charlotte) and invest in a course. It'll pay back in spades, I assure you.

Good luck dude.

#70 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,791 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:18 AM

I was fortunate enough to get a job in college that paid 13 bucks an hour/40 hours a week for a fortune 500 company. It was warehouse work, but it allowed me to go out with my friends, buy everyone drinks, and spend money the way most college students dream about. I worked my ass off at the job, became friends with the management and propelled myself to assistant manager by my senior year. When I graduated, i worked there for a little less than a year learning as much as a possibly could about how the company is run inside and out and how to manage people. I was offered a ridiculous salary for someone right out of college in a city up North. I managed one section of the Second largest warehouse in North America. Managing 40 people at a time, fast paced, in a very holistic manner (if that makes sense). I was living it big, living in a large city with an apartment downtown (for a 23 year old I thought this was the dream), but I wasn't happy. I didn't enjoy what I was doing, and I was stressed out all the time. City life was awesome, but I couldn't really enjoy it with the amount of stress that job put me through.

So I quit. I told my bosses that my heart wasn't in it anymore, and that i didn't want to lead this life. I wanted something more fufilling. We have one life to live, why waste your time? They respected me for coming up to them and expressing myself that way, and both wrote me letters of recommendations and wished me well on my future endeavors.

Now I'm living in the mountains in a cabin, working contractor work with a family members company, and enjoying every second of my life. I've saved enough money that I am planning a cross country trip out to where I grew up with plans of emerging myself in the city and finding what the hell i want to do with my life. I'm excited and nervous but I wouldn't have it any other way. This was the best decision I could have possibly made.

eternal pie for this post

#71 chknwing

chknwing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,474 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:24 AM

Is there an age minimum? I didn't see anything on the site.

I believe its 18.

#72 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:03 AM

Have you tried a temp agency. If you find the right one, sometimes they can lead into permanent positions.

#73 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:29 AM

Don't put anything on Facebook!!

Don't say that! Do you have any idea how well Facebook and Twitter do at helping me weed out the undesirables? I need that, otherwise I would have to pay more attention when I interview people!

The best hire I've made in the last year was a guy who had a blog where he generally railed against big software and big companies. Of course, I work for a big company. I read the entire thing before I interviewed him, and I think he broke out in a sweat when I told him that I had gone through it (he was surprised I found it). I told him it was one of the reasons I hired him, we need people who think like that in our area.

Don't be afraid to write and publish on-line. But if you do, make sure you write well. Check out Susannah Breslin's blog on freelancing at Forbes (http://www.forbes.co...usannahbreslin/) for some decent tips.

If you're into it, the online world is full of weird opportunities that don't necessarily require a particular degree or any experience. You just have to be creative enough, and hard working enough to find/make them.

#74 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:42 AM

I'd say create a public facebook and a private facebook account.

#75 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

See, now this I disagree with. No job worth having is going to consider a job at a grocery store viable experience on anyone's resume. I don't think there are many recent college graduates out there these days that haven't hit this brick wall about a thousand times.

Everyone wants experience but nobody wants to give someone an opportunity to gain that experience. It'd sure as hell help if there weren't so many experienced workers out there also looking for work due to the poor economy.

No one is going to give you anything unless they owe your family a favor.

And as far as the job market, if you're young and single and living in a bad market, move to where it's good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.