- - - - -

Full Disclosure: I CAN'T Get a Job

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#71 chknwing

chknwing

SUPPORTER

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:24 AM

Is there an age minimum? I didn't see anything on the site.

I believe its 18.

#72 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:03 AM

Have you tried a temp agency. If you find the right one, sometimes they can lead into permanent positions.

#73 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

HUDDLER

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:29 AM

Don't put anything on Facebook!!

Don't say that! Do you have any idea how well Facebook and Twitter do at helping me weed out the undesirables? I need that, otherwise I would have to pay more attention when I interview people!

The best hire I've made in the last year was a guy who had a blog where he generally railed against big software and big companies. Of course, I work for a big company. I read the entire thing before I interviewed him, and I think he broke out in a sweat when I told him that I had gone through it (he was surprised I found it). I told him it was one of the reasons I hired him, we need people who think like that in our area.

Don't be afraid to write and publish on-line. But if you do, make sure you write well. Check out Susannah Breslin's blog on freelancing at Forbes (http://www.forbes.co...usannahbreslin/) for some decent tips.

If you're into it, the online world is full of weird opportunities that don't necessarily require a particular degree or any experience. You just have to be creative enough, and hard working enough to find/make them.

#74 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

MFCEO

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:42 AM

I'd say create a public facebook and a private facebook account.

#75 Delhommey

Delhommey

Moderators

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

See, now this I disagree with. No job worth having is going to consider a job at a grocery store viable experience on anyone's resume. I don't think there are many recent college graduates out there these days that haven't hit this brick wall about a thousand times.

Everyone wants experience but nobody wants to give someone an opportunity to gain that experience. It'd sure as hell help if there weren't so many experienced workers out there also looking for work due to the poor economy.

No one is going to give you anything unless they owe your family a favor.

And as far as the job market, if you're young and single and living in a bad market, move to where it's good.

#76 Catalyst

Catalyst

• LocationMorehead City
HUDDLER

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Is it really THAT good anywhere?

#77 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• LocationAsheville, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

eternal pie for this post

haha thanks man. I'm also lucky that my family backs me up 100%. Doing something that is viewed as extreme given the economic climate of this country and all that.

#78 Delhommey

Delhommey

Moderators

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

Is it really THAT good anywhere?

Unemployment for TX is 6.3%. 4.5% for Austin.

There are other pockets as well, mainly in the West and Midwest.

#79 Hawk

Hawk

Banned

Moderators

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

great thread and thanks everyone for reminding me that pieces of what the huddle used to be still actually exist!!!

lots of great feedback in this thread.

From my perspective it doesn't sound like you truly 100% know what you really want to do. I'm 45 and there's plenty of days that I don't either, so it's all good!!

Figure that out first and then in my opinion, read post #9 over and over and over until you know it, love it, live it. Lots of great ideas in here, but it all starts at #9 in my opinion.

Good luck...

#80 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• LocationAsheville, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

Unemployment for TX is 6.3%. 4.5% for Austin.

There are other pockets as well, mainly in the West and Midwest.

Yea i've heard Midland TX pays like 25 bucks an hour for gas station attendants because its so desolate they have a really hard time finding people to work. I know Midland is a poo place, but there are places to find work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users