Photo
- - - - -

Full Disclosure: I CAN'T Get a Job

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

#97 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

Not sure if someone else said this, but, why not consider being a stay at home dad? You said your family is OK right now and you're saving money by watching the kids. Why not get a part-time gig for when your wife can watch them? I would totally be a stay at home dad if possible. My father was disabled pretty early in my life and because a stay at home dad, and it was awesome having him around, not missing sports practices, helping with homework, and generally just being around. Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but don't discredit taking on that role. It'll give you some time to think about what you want to do when your kids get old enough and you can move back into the workforce full time. This is a trend that is becoming more common for dads.

#98 Miaoww

Miaoww

HUDDLER

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

I hate to be blunt but you are not going to get the ideal job right off the bat. The college degree is not a bypass around low paying job. If you are bright, and it sounds like you are, the $8.50 an hour job at a grocery store shouldn't take you long to start moving up the ladder and then you will have experience on your resume.

Pretty much.

Worked at ASDA (owned by Walmart) as I earned my Journalism degree.

Continued to work there looking for jobs in the media industry for 18 months. Besides a few unpaid 'internships' I got nothing.

Ended up giving in and going into Sports Administration. Again a low paying, entry level job.

14 months later my boss considers me invaluable, but knows the company can't give me a pay rise - so he's doing his damndest to help me improve my CV (he's head of recruiting in the company) and helping me get my name out there.

He's going to give me a glowing reference - and coming from him that has some clout.

So long story short - don't be too proud to take a job that you consider beneath you. At the end of the day it's good experience and if you do it well you will be noticed. That will lead to better things and help you get where you want to go.

#99 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

SUPPORTER

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:58 AM

I think the best advice has already been said.

Just wanted to share a personal story.
I worked for myself for 5 plus years before i left Alaska. Doing home computer repairs. i never had a degree.

When.i got down here in Galveston, I was just looking for work, period.
Took awhile before I got any offers. When I did get offers, none of them were ones I'd consider for a career.
I ended up taking a job in retail sales, as it was one of the best offers that kept me on island. While the first year was an experience in itself (include hurricane Ike),
Today i am grateful for.my job. I'm doing something I enjoy (who knew), and I'm providing for my family. While i still have a long term plan to work for myself, I'm on my way.

Get yourself a job, regardless what it is, and doors will open up.

#100 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

SUPPORTER

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

Degrees mean very little these days.

#101 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

HUDDLER

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

Can't say anything that hasn't already been said but, hang in there. Things will get better. Make it a point to do something for yourself or your family every day that makes life a little better. Always remember to keep a positive attitude - it's invaluable.

The Charlotte job market is also pretty bad from what I hear. I'm spoiled because I'm in my mid 20's and I live in Austin, TX where the job market is healthy.

#102 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

HUDDLER

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

Degrees mean very little these days.

as a college senior....poo

#103 captfluoro

captfluoro

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

Really interesting thread and I hope the OP does well. I'm in a totally different area, medicine, so a degree was sort of necessary but what some people have said about networking struck up a memory for me. When I was in college getting ready to apply to med school one professor said to me that up until now it was what I know that is important but once out of med school it will be more who I know that will advance my career. But, since I don't really care to be a leading authority in my field and really don't like to schmooze that much, I'm content working in my little three man radiology group in a small 200 bed rural hospital. Good luck to you.

#104 Delhommey

Delhommey

Moderators

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

One thing more: there are almost no bad jobs if you have a good boss and almost no good ones if your boss is bad.