Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for Conservatives:

59 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

This neo-Nazi guy who shot up the Holocaust Museum the other day. He's now saying he knows of other shootings planned to take place. Sounds like terrorism to me. Shouldn't we waterboard him to obtain the information of when, where and who?

If you knew you personally would be the victim of his next shooting, would you waterboard him to save your own life?

Posted · Report post

If you knew you personally would be the victim of his next shooting, would you waterboard him to save your own life?

Obviously not.

Jack Bauer would.

But if I had the opportunity to waterboard him, I'd be diligent enough to not let him escape, get a gun and then come back and shoot me.

Posted · Report post

but maybe he is innocent

Posted · Report post

I don't understand why you would think we'd have a problem with it, and I don't understand why you would have a problem with it. If he actually did say what you say he said, then you make sure.

The problem is treating other people with a double standard.

There are plenty of criminals in America that have information, but we don't torture them.

The idea that America wants to be the flagship nation needs to be supported by not having openly contradicting actions.

Posted · Report post

Obviously not.

Jack Bauer would.

But if I had the opportunity to waterboard him, I'd be diligent enough to not let him escape, get a gun and then come back and shoot me.

You dodged the question. That doesn't mean you win, it means you have a flaw in your thinking.... you may not be entirely wrong, but your position is not without its vices. if it was, you'd have been able to answer sans Jack Bauer shields.

Posted · Report post

The problem is treating other people with a double standard.

There are plenty of criminals in America that have information, but we don't torture them.

The idea that America wants to be the flagship nation needs to be supported by not having openly contradicting actions.

If you're talking law, I agree. If you're talking having a suspect in a room with no witnesses, and he knows where bombs are that will kill innocent people, I say do what you gotta do. Just don't film yourselves doing it.

Posted · Report post

You dodged the question. That doesn't mean you win, it means you have a flaw in your thinking.... you may not be entirely wrong, but your position is not without its vices. if it was, you'd have been able to answer sans Jack Bauer shields.

Your question is idiotic.

Posted · Report post

this question makes no sense. But I see what you're getting at. I would do anything to anyone (more or less.) to preserve myself and (more importantly) my family. However. This does not imply that the actions I might take would be legal, nor should they be. The government, as an establishment should have significantly fewer assumed rights and much stricter rules than the private citizenry.

Posted · Report post

The government, as an establishment should have significantly fewer assumed rights and much stricter rules than the private citizenry.

I agree. So where is the disconnect?

Why do you guys worry that we went outside the country and waterboarded a few high placed Al Qaeda to make sure we were getting what we could out of them? That's the thing...you say that the intel is iffy...maybe it is, but get what you can out of them and follow the leads. You might get the next 9/11. You might not. But fuging make sure.

Posted · Report post

I agree. So where is the disconnect?

Why do you guys worry that we went outside the country and waterboarded a few high placed Al Qaeda to make sure we were getting what we could out of them? That's the thing...you say that the intel is iffy...maybe it is, but get what you can out of them and follow the leads. You might get the next 9/11. You might not. But fuging make sure.

Except you want to open that possibility to all American citizens.

Shame on you.

Posted · Report post

Except you want to open that possibility to all American citizens.

Shame on you.

Not all. Just liberals.

Posted · Report post

Waterboarding is so 2008. We should come up with something new. I know the Gubment has other options.

And yes, I would allow it. He admitted to having the knowledge and it's law enforcements job to get it out of him.

Some people think it is torturing American Citizens but once he committed the crime, he pretty much gave up some rights. It's along the lines of felons not being able to vote or purchase (legally) guns.