• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#16 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,383 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

I think, for the most part, JR is a hands off owner. The only time that I believe JR has been hands on has been during transitional phases - Leading up to Fox's lame duck year and forcing Hurney to release older players, preparing for the lockout, etc. During normal seasons I think he allows total control to the GM's regarding contracting and player personnel.

I have hard time believing this only because of how involved he is in every negotiation in the NFL. Would a hands off owner be knee deep in locking the players or the refs out and the subsequent negotiations?

#17 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,741 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

I have hard time believing this only because of how involved he is in every negotiation in the NFL. Would a hands off owner be knee deep in locking the players or the refs out and the subsequent negotiations?

I hope you realize why this is a incredibly retarded question.

#18 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,630 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

JR was burned early on by overpaying others free agents years ago and went to the other extreme by paying our own FA's too much money.I do not believe he is cheap but feel his plans have been flawed by his experiences incompetenance. Our only hope is that he finally turns the reins over to someone competent that understands what it takes to build a team given the CBA.He was obviously out of touch with NFL reality when he overpaid for guys like rb who could have been replaced for 1/2 what he paid.

I think Hurney was only a puppet to carry out his plan.

#19 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,741 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

JR was burned early on by overpaying others free agents years ago and went to the other extreme by paying our own FA's too much money.I do not believe he is cheap but feel his plans have been flawed by his experiences incompetenance. Our only hope is that he finally turns the reins over to someone competent that understands what it takes to build a team given the CBA.He was obviously out of touch with NFL reality when he overpaid for guys like rb who could have been replaced for 1/2 what he paid.

Why do you attribute that to JR and not Hurney?

edit: I see you edited in your answer.

#20 Donald LaFell

Donald LaFell

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

I think there were a lot of things. We lost Peppers for no compensation. Delhome fell apart. Hurney made stupid trades back to back.

#21 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,383 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

Of course, this would be different if JR was an owner and acting GM ala Jerry Jones. Do you believe this to be the case, making Gettleman nothing more than a hollow suit?

I do believe Gettleman is somewhat of a hollow suit. There is a reason young up and comers were not beating down the door (or really interviewed)...I mean we already have a franchise QB. Jerry (to me) wanted a yes man and anyone with youth and huge potential would want control to do things the their way.

I would love to be proven wrong ala Luke Kuechly

#22 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 34,011 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

I was looking at the record and then became curious as to when his heart transplant happened. I have a hard time believing that it hasn't played a part

I mean, sure it could have an affect on how he runs the team and makes decisions... but look at what else happened then...

We lost to the Cardinals on Jan 10, 2009 when Jake lost his mind in that playoff game...

Richardson had his heart transplant on Feb 1, 2009.

I think Jake's issues had more to do with our run of bad games than Richardson's heart.

Jake sucked that next season (8-8) and the season after that we lost 14 of those 41 games. So that's 22 of the 41 losses right there.

The other 19 are new coach/Hurney.

#23 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,383 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

I hope you realize why this is a incredibly retarded question.

Let me reprase it...

I have a hard time believing that someone who is so hands on in every league affair would turn around and be a hands off owner.

#24 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,391 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

Shouldn't you ban yourself for such a stupid thread?

#25 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,741 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:24 AM

I do believe Gettleman is somewhat of a hollow suit. There is a reason young up and comers were not beating down the door (or really interviewed)...I mean we already have a franchise QB. Jerry (to me) wanted a yes man and anyone with youth and huge potential would want control to do things the their way.

I would love to be proven wrong ala Luke Kuechly

Well, if that's the way you feel then there really is no point is continuing the discussion. There's absolutely no way to prove that you're right. It actually runs contradictory to the most logical answer - that every front office position is allowed to do their respective jobs. If JR wanted a hollow suit then why not just do the job himself. It's not like he needs a GM to help with the cap, as GM"s have staff to help them with the cap already. It just doesn't seem like sound reasoning, and more just a front office conspiracy that you've concocted in order to shift blame of our recent ineptitude from team management onto the owner, because that's what you want to do.

#26 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,383 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

Shouldn't you ban yourself for such a stupid thread?

Do as I say not as I do

#27 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,741 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

Let me reprase it...

I have a hard time believing that someone who is so hands on in every league affair would turn around and be a hands off owner.

Jerry is hands on in what he knows -business and collective bargaining negotiations. It makes sense for him to be very involved in those sort of league wide interactions. Those types of scenarios are completely different from player personnel management, hence why the argument is retarded.

#28 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 34,011 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

I honestly don't know what to think about Gettleman, don't know enough about him. I think at this point he's pretty handicapped by the contract situations that Hurney left behind. I don't think we'll have a really good idea of what Gettleman is about until maybe season after next, once he's had a chance to clear up some of Hurney's cap/contract stuff and have 2 drafts under his belt.

Of course, if we suck again next season and they fire Rivera, that will just prolong not only our suffering, but any real conclusion on what Gettleman is doing because it'll still be "well maybe it's the fault of coaching".

I guess we'll get a glimpse now of how he handles FA and this draft of what he's about.

#29 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,383 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

. It just doesn't seem like sound reasoning, and more just a front office conspiracy that you've concocted in order to shift blame of our recent ineptitude from team management onto the owner, because that's what you want to do.

This is probably more accurate than inaccurate.

I do believe that a team's(you can sub business's here) success is a direct reflection of the quality of ownership. If you think that is an inaccurate statement then the conversation is over.

#30 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,741 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

This is probably more accurate than inaccurate.

I do believe that a team's(you can sub business's here) success is a direct reflection of the quality of ownership. If you think that is an inaccurate statement then the conversation is over.

And my point is that you can't prove that JR is a bad owner. So long as a team has a true front office architecture in place, which we do, the only job of the owner to sign the fuging paychecks. So long as JR gives Gettleman the money to operate and he looks after the peripheral health of the franchise - IE stadium negotiations with the local and state govs, league wide CBA negotiations etc - there is absolutely no reason to call him a bad owner. At this point, the only proof of any bad ownership is that he arguably held onto Hurney to long and he didn't fire Fox one year earlier. Big whoopdy doo. Anything otherwise can just be passed off as an "in your head fantasy" until proven otherwise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com