Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is no one else willing to restructure?

49 posts in this topic

Posted

Reconstruct by converting salary to bonus:

The Panthers are not interested as all 3 are candidates for being cut next year and new bonuses increases the dead money if that happens.

Reconstruct with a pay cut:

Why would anyone of them be interested in that? They all know they might be cut anyway next year and all are aging so the next injury could be the final one. Of course they want to make as much money as possible. Plus we are not in "one FA from SB" mode so it does not make sense to take a cut to help the team (actually we will most likely improve for a couple of years as Cam gets more experience and we can sign new guys as the Hurney contracts expires).

Posted

If Gross was willing then he already would have.. They tried to get him to take a pay cut and he didn't do it.

I don't agree. If it was a simple restructure to push money into the future cap it's be quick and easy. The fact it's taking so long tells me he's at least negotiating a pay cut, but he's not gonna just take their first offer (because that'd be stupid).

Posted

Why don't players just volunteer to play for the vet minimum for the good of the team?

Greedy motherfuggers.

Who here has offered to take a pay cut to better their employer's position, anyone?

Didn't think so.

4 people like this

Posted

Why don't players just volunteer to play for the vet minimum for the good of the team?

Greedy motherfuggers.

Who here has offered to take a pay cut to better their employer's position, anyone?

Didn't think so.

Who here has said anyone should play for minimum? If it's posted please point it out to me, I can't find it.

Personally I can't blame guys if they don't want to restructure. With that said, the average veteran minimum is 500k up to 1 million. The players in question are making upwards of 5-10 million per year. Drawing any sort of comparison to the average citizen taking a paycut on an average salary to guys paid countless millions for entertainment taking a paycut is one of the dumbest things I've ever read here.

Posted

Greedy motherfuggers.

Didn't think so.

If there's a big risk they will fire my ass, and wouldn't be able to earn the amount my current employer offers me anywhere else... why not? Not that this scenario is likely to happen on any of our players though.

Nevertheless, sports business <> normal business.

Posted

I feel like this has been several times, or maybe I'm misunderstanding, but- cap doesn't matter again until some later date closer to training camp time or possibly later, correct? So restructuring now, or later doesn't make a difference... And FA isn't over, we can still go after "a few above average players"

To my understanding (based on what I've read here), cap matters from here on out. We have to be under it. The season officially began at 4PM this past Tuesday.

Posted

you are correct, sir

Posted

I'm just having a hard time understanding, why we haven't tried to approach Deangelo, Godfrey, or Beason to restructure for us to have some cap space.

Restructures aren't a magical solution...

They generally involve giving a player MORE money...and can make your cap situation worse in the future.

So if you are Carolina...you think it is good business to throw more cash at 3 players whose contracts are already too fat and Carolina has overpaid to date?

They all need straight up paycuts. Big ones....and those are rare to get people to do

Posted

I feel like this has been several times, or maybe I'm misunderstanding, but- cap doesn't matter again until some later date closer to training camp time or possibly later, correct? So restructuring now, or later doesn't make a difference... And FA isn't over, we can still go after "a few above average players"

Teams have to be under the cap EVERY DAY until the end of this league year.

Posted

This is just part of the required post-Hurney enema.

Posted

1) We might already be restructuring these deals (Paycuts) especially for Beason/Gross.

2) Williams, Godfrey, Beason, Gross are all much easier to cut next season. After the 2nd purge next year we "SHOULD" be in pretty fine cap space.

3) You guys whine like no other.

Posted

Gross' situation is starting to piss me off. He should be restructured by now.