#33 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

Not me

Me either, government shouldn't be in the business of giving tax breaks to companies.

#34 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,928 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

An example of when govt assistance is ok

There is a difference though. There are returns on the investment for corporate welfare (at least hypothetically.)

IF NC gives a tax break to Met Life it will get a return in the form of jobs. Or at least more tax paying citizens. And a tax break doesn't mean tax free. NC and meck will still get more tax tomorrow than they had today.

http://www.charlotte...incentives.html

It is much more difficult to quantify the return on welfare.

#35 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

You don't know me well at all.

I contribute a lot to charity. But, I believe in helping those that work to help themselves. I don't believe in assistance programs that morph into a means if generational support and provide no incentive for those receiving the assistance to ever get off that juice.

I believe in helping people...not supporting them.

People like Cantrell believe that the odds are stacked against people and they should just throw up their arms in defeat and expect someone else to give them something. I went to a high school where only 20% of the students went on to 2 or 4 year college. But, I saw students who came from nothing who worked their asses off to overcome...and they did. I also saw students who had the exact same opportunities do nothing with them.

They cared more about having a good time than working towards their future. So, no...I don't have a lot of empathy for those same people. Their decisions had more to di with their situation than a lack if opportunities did.

So... you make bad decisions in high school, you should have to pay for that the rest of your life.

How compassionate of you

#36 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

There is a difference though. There are returns on the investment for corporate welfare (at least hypothetically.)

IF NC gives a tax break to Met Life it will get a return in the form of jobs. Or at least more tax paying citizens. And a tax break doesn't mean tax free. NC and meck will still get more tax tomorrow than they had today.

http://www.charlotte...incentives.html

It is much more difficult to quantify the return on welfare.

From what I see in the comments on the Observer site, it seems most people do not understand this concept. They see giving the companies tax breaks as exactly the same as taking their money and writing a check to those companies. They fail to realize that if the companies weren't moving here it is the exact same thing, except there will be less people employed and less people buying homes, therefore contributing to income and property taxes.

There are instances where actual grants are given out, but these are less common and usually a small percentage of the total incentive package.

#37 Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationStokeridge

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

I love to incounter lazy mfers that thinlk they should be able to take money from people that have earned it. I say to them, you want what they got. Go get you one. They started right there where you are. Ask yourself why YOU don't get you some. It's all right there for the getting. Just how much are you willing to earn? Lazy sombiches.

#38 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,263 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

So... you make bad decisions in high school, you should have to pay for that the rest of your life.

How compassionate of you

Ever heard of community college...or on-line courses....etc?

By your logic bad decisions in high school would mean that someone else supports or subsidizes you for the rest of your life.

Your are responsible for your decisions and actions. Screw up in HS and it will hurt you. But, if someone was trying to take courses to improve their skill-set....I am all for giving assistance during that time.

I am adamantly against sending a paycheck to someone for sitting at home not working,....or giving continuous support to someone who is doing nothing to improve their position.

That is the personal accountability that I have been referring to.

#39 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,929 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

You don't know me well at all.

I contribute a lot to charity. But, I believe in helping those that work to help themselves. I don't believe in assistance programs that morph into a means if generational support and provide no incentive for those receiving the assistance to ever get off that juice.

I believe in helping people...not supporting them.

People like Cantrell believe that the odds are stacked against people and they should just throw up their arms in defeat and expect someone else to give them something. I went to a high school where only 20% of the students went on to 2 or 4 year college. But, I saw students who came from nothing who worked their asses off to overcome...and they did. I also saw students who had the exact same opportunities do nothing with them.

They cared more about having a good time than working towards their future. So, no...I don't have a lot of empathy for those same people. Their decisions had more to di with their situation than a lack if opportunities did.

This is exactly what we are talking about. You don't have empathy. If you did you would realize that Cantrell (or people "like him" whatever that means) do not feel this way - therefore you have to make it up in order to justify your point of view. You are apprarently under the impression that "people like Cantrell" want to give your money away to hopeless drug addicts determined to live off your good graces, which is laughable.

I don't care what charities you give to, because I would wager they are all for things either supporting a religious purpose you deem worthy based on your own beliefs. or for things that have affected you personally. This is normal, but it does not rely on empathy.

#40 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,263 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:28 AM

This is exactly what we are talking about. You don't have empathy. If you did you would realize that Cantrell (or people "like him" whatever that means) do not feel this way - therefore you have to make it up in order to justify your point of view. You are apprarently under the impression that "people like Cantrell" want to give your money away to hopeless drug addicts determined to live off your good graces, which is laughable.

I don't care what charities you give to, because I would wager they are all for things either supporting a religious purpose you deem worthy based on your own beliefs. or for things that have affected you personally. This is normal, but it does not rely on empathy.

Cantrell does nothing but claim that the system is unfair to blacks and there is nothing that THEY can do to change their lives. It is not their fault...it is others.

That is total bullshit. I know many people who came from crappy situations and used hard work and education to achieve financial success.

#41 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,929 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

Can you please reference one post where Cantrell says that the system is unfair to blacks and there is nothing that THEY can do to change their lives?

#42 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,929 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

He does say that the system is inherently unfair to minorities and he has a point, although it's gotten a lot better in recent years. But not that crap you just made up. Feel free to prove me wrong, here's your big chance.

#43 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,263 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

He does say that the system is inherently unfair to minorities and he has a point, although it's gotten a lot better in recent years. But not that crap you just made up. Feel free to prove me wrong, here's your big chance.

I know many minorities that came from crappy circumstances that are now financial successes because of hard work and taking advantages if their opportunities.

Is it easy? No

But, if you are willing to put in the effort, there are opportunities out there.

Many dob't take advantage if the opportunities because they do not have the role models as parents to instill that education is the answer. That us a completely different argument. For those people, it is their parent s fault...not the system's

#44 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,512 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

So sheltered.

#45 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,263 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

So sheltered.

So clueless.

Neither of my parents went to college. I am only the second in my family (parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, etc to go to college).

My mom's family did not even have running water and an indoor toilet until she was in high school.

I worked 40 hrs a week while carrying a full load at school.

My life was far from sheltered. I was determined to do better and worked my ass off in school to achieve it.

I could have easily claimed how unfair it was and be living like my cousins do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.