Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tavon Austin projected to be top 15 pick.

89 posts in this topic

Posted

JawyBlaze is right on target with both points. Cant pie on moblie.

Posted

2012 stats:

1,289 receiving yds; 12 tds

643 rushing yds; 3 tds

165 PR yds; 1 tds

813 KR yds; 1 tds

Electrifying doesn't begin to describe Austin.

Posted

Absolutely not. I think Austin could very well be a good player, especially in the right environment, but he doesn't fit what we need. If we go WR early (and I think we should, but in the 2nd), it shouldn't be ANOTHER undersized speedy guy. Most teams have 1 or 2 undersized speedy guys at most to add some variety to their passing game. Our WR corps is dominated by undersized speedy guys.

Other than Adams and Steve (who isn't considered undersized because of his ability to fight for the ball), who else is 'small'? Don't say Edwards.

Our receiving core features Murphy (6'3), Bryant (6'5), Olsen (6'5), Rosario (6'4), LaFell (6'2), Gettis (6'3), Pilares (5'11), Edwards (5'11), Smith (5'9) and Adams (5'9). I don't see undersized WRs dominating anything.

Posted

Absolutely not. I think Austin could very well be a good player, especially in the right environment, but he doesn't fit what we need. If we go WR early (and I think we should, but in the 2nd), it shouldn't be ANOTHER undersized speedy guy. Most teams have 1 or 2 undersized speedy guys at most to add some variety to their passing game. Our WR corps is dominated by undersized speedy guys.

I thnk he fit exactly to what we need in this offense. We don't have that slot receiver who can keep the chain moving on 3rd down, or that target that Cam can go to when he's in trouble. 89 will always be on the outside. LaFail will be the no.2, so Austin can come right in and fill the slot position. He can help do a lot of the dirty work running the short routes.

When you look at all the better offenses in the league, most of them has that slot receiver (NE Welker, Den Stokley, GB Cobb). We're missing that right now. We're a pass first offense and we lined of with 3 receiver sets a lot. The thing is we have no true slot that is able to create mismatch underneath. LaFail have been working that position the last couple years but he's too big and not mobile/agile to work that position.

Posted

I prefer good WRs over big WRs. I don't give a damn how big a WR is, I want one who can get open, catch, and make plays with the ball in his hands.

I remember when a bunch of Panthers fans flipped out when we drafted a 5'9" smurf of a return man out of Utah back in the day...

Posted

I remember when 95% of Panther fans were rabid crazy for Sproles during the summer of 2011...

"5'6? Who cares?! The guy can play ball."

Posted

I don't understand how anyone can say that our offence doesn't need a small, speedy WR. The speedy guys in question like Murphy, Pilares and Armanti haven't exactly amounted to much. You can't exactly point to them and go 'but wait! We already have THAT guy!'. The only legitimate 'small, speedy guy' worth a damn is Smitty. He's getting up there in age.

Posted

I thnk he fit exactly to what we need in this offense. We don't have that slot receiver who can keep the chain moving on 3rd down, or that target that Cam can go to when he's in trouble. 89 will always be on the outside. LaFail will be the no.2, so Austin can come right in and fill the slot position. He can help do a lot of the dirty work running the short routes.

When you look at all the better offenses in the league, most of them has that slot receiver (NE Welker, Den Stokley, GB Cobb). We're missing that right now. We're a pass first offense and we lined of with 3 receiver sets a lot. The thing is we have no true slot that is able to create mismatch underneath. LaFail have been working that position the last couple years but he's too big and not mobile/agile to work that position.

It's beyond fugging hilarious that you want Austin when you were completely against bringing in Harvin when they are the EXACT same player.

Like could be the dumbest/funniest poo I've ever read on here next to when Mrtouchdown said that Eric Fisher didn't deserve to be in the first round and that I was retarded for thinking so.

Posted

It's beyond fugging hilarious that you want Austin when you were completely against bringing in Harvin when they are the EXACT same player.

Like could be the dumbest/funniest poo I've ever read on here next to when Mrtouchdown said that Eric Fisher didn't deserve to be in the first round and that I was retarded for thinking so.

Harvin is an established vet who required a pricey trade and a big money deal to land. Austin at #14 would require neither. Harvin is also a well established malcontent. The combo of the three = no thanks.

1 person likes this

Posted

Harvin is an established vet who required a pricey trade and a big money deal to land. Austin at #14 would require neither. Harvin is also a well established malcontent. The combo of the three = no thanks.

I didn't want Harvin, and I wouldn't mind Austin.

But that wasn't chucks argument, his argument was that Harvin was nothing but a slot receiver/offensive weapon and that we need a bigger #1 type receiver.

Just let me laugh at the stupidity in peace.

Posted

I didn't want Harvin, and I wouldn't mind Austin.

But that wasn't chucks argument, his argument was that Harvin was nothing but a slot receiver/offensive weapon and that we need a bigger #1 type receiver.

Just let me laugh at the stupidity in peace.

Oh yeah, I remember that LOL.

This talk of the Panthers needing another big receiver is reasonable but misguided. We have more big targets than we do undersized targets. Austin in the slot would relieve some pressure off of Smith. That much is certain. Tavon would create some serious mismatches on defense.

Posted

Other than Adams and Steve (who isn't considered undersized because of his ability to fight for the ball), who else is 'small'? Don't say Edwards.

Our receiving core features Murphy (6'3), Bryant (6'5), Olsen (6'5), Rosario (6'4), LaFell (6'2), Gettis (6'3), Pilares (5'11), Edwards (5'11), Smith (5'9) and Adams (5'9). I don't see undersized WRs dominating anything.

I said WR corps, Smitty, Pilares, Edwards, Adams. That's 4 of our 7 receivers, with only Lafell, Gettis and Murphy being over 6'. I expect Edwards and Murphy to be gone, but even after that the majority of our WRs are still undersized.