Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tavon Austin projected to be top 15 pick.

89 posts in this topic

Posted

I prefer good WRs over big WRs. I don't give a damn how big a WR is, I want one who can get open, catch, and make plays with the ball in his hands.

I remember when a bunch of Panthers fans flipped out when we drafted a 5'9" smurf of a return man out of Utah back in the day...

I didn't mean to give the impression that his height is enough to make me not want him, but I can see how it'd be taken that way. If a player is just straight up dominant and awesome I don't care how big they are. But Austin doesn't give me the impression of straight up dominant and awesome. Sure he juked and wiggled his way around college kids, but didn't make me think he'll definitely be doing the same in the NFL. Would I take that chance with our 2nd rd pick? Sure. Not our first. (and no, I'm not saying I expect he'll be available with our 2nd).

In hindsight, Smitty was an amazing pick and blahblahblah we all know he's awesome. But Smitty is awesome because of something you just can't predict easily. His heart and desire. Does Austin have that? Who knows, but he'll need it to be great.

Posted

I said WR corps, Smitty, Pilares, Edwards, Adams. That's 4 of our 7 receivers, with only Lafell, Gettis and Murphy being over 6'. I expect Edwards and Murphy to be gone, but even after that the majority of our WRs are still undersized.

Pilares and Edwards are average height. Average is NOT undersized. Armanti might have a small frame but he's not 'small'. Pilares, on the other hand, has a thicker build. Bryant and Rosario are converted WRs. They're apart of our WR core now and both stand at 6'5. So again, no, our WR core isn't dominated by undersized receivers.

Posted

But what big tall threat do the panthers have that actually sees time.....at least smitty puts up a 1000+ yards....and lafell is not a deep threat.

panthers was 12th overall in offense..so not bad at all.....they are not missing a slot to be good on offense....i would get an extra te for the red zone and a deep threat to stretch the field. of course i would fix that swiss cheese oline first to give newton protection.

none of those teams in the top 15 of offensive stats have star slot wr except pats.........so i dont think you need to take a slot that early to have a good offense...people get blinded by what the best qb does.........nfl is such a copy cat league.

Posted

^^ but what big threat do the panthers have that actually sees time.....at least smitty puts up a 1000+ yards....and lafell is not a deep threat.

panthers was 12th overall in offense..so not bad at all.....they are not missing a slot to be good on offense....i would get an extra te for the red zone and a deep threat to stretch the field. of course i would fix that swiss cheese oline first to give newton protection.

none of those teams in the top have star slot wr except pats.........so i dont think you need to take a slot that early to have a good offense...people get blinded by what the best qb does.........nfl is such a copy cat league.

1.) There's nothing shortsighted about taking an explosive and versatile playmaker. It's not about copying other offenses either. The Panthers need another dynamic threat on offense and Tavon absolutely adds to our scheme with Newton going underneath.

2.) No, we don't need another TE. We've got Olsen and a solid number two option who barely got utilized. That's more than enough.

3.) Bryant was signed to be our deep threat. He's a burner who can stretch the field. Whether or not he lives up to what the Panthers hope for is another topic but we do have a deep presence now. Lamont has been raising eyebrows in training camp and preseason. I, for one, am excited to see what he can bring to the table in 2013.

Posted

Pilares and Edwards are average height. Average is NOT undersized. Armanti might have a small frame but he's not 'small'. Pilares, on the other hand, has a thicker build. Bryant and Rosario are converted WRs. They're apart of our WR core now and both stand at 6'5. So again, no, our WR core isn't dominated by undersized receivers.

5'11 is not average height for an NFL WR. I'd guess 6'1 is.

And Bryant and Nelson aren't on the roster. They're practice squadders.

So yes, at 4/7 our WR corps is dominated by undersized WRs.

Posted

5'11 is not average height for an NFL WR. I'd guess 6'1 is.

And Bryant and Nelson aren't on the roster. They're practice squadders.

Since when? 5'11 remains average height for a WR.

No, they were signed to future contracts. In all likelihood, both Rosario and Bryant will grace the field as pros in 2013. Kearse and J. Thomas were offered future contracts last year and started this last season.

Posted

Bottom line is that if Austin is all that and a bag of chips, then he should be in line for major consideration. I don't care what size he is, if he is tough. Austin said that he hasn't missed a game in 8 years. Some people come out of their asses with comparisons, but I think that the comparison to D-Jax is on point, and there are subtle suggestions that Austin could be better. This should make every Panthers fan sit up and pay attention.

I said earlier this season that I believe Adams could be on the bubble depending upon who we get in here (though he'll probably survive). The same can be said for Pilares, and Edwards is as good as gone (because he just is not an NFL caliber WR, no matter how much anyone wants him to be).

Electrifying, explosive playmakers who can take it to the house every time they touch the ball don't come along every day, so you can't just use size to reject them out of hand.

Posted

Hi i don't post here much but that might increase first I don't like short WR's but if we are ever going to find a replacement for Steve Smith This Tavon Austin might be it

as for our current group of WR's Lafell is a stilll learning solid #2 & Gettis was appearently a 1 yr wonder & Pilares could be a good slot & ST guy & A.Edwards is a Special Teamer at best nothing more & Adams needs to develop more before he see the field as a WR

SO the question is can you see Tavon Austin as a #1 WR i can & i can't see any WR on our roster as a future #1

Posted

is there that much of a difference between this guy and joe adams that tavon would be worth a #14 pick and adams can't see the field on offense?

All I can say is watch his film......nothing there even close to Adams.He only had 572 all purpose yards against Oklahoma and 390 yards with 4 TDs against Clemson.Do you think Adams could do that?

Posted

Since when? 5'11 remains average height for a WR.

No, they were signed to future contracts. In all likelihood, both Rosario and Bryant will grace the field as pros in 2013. Kearse and J. Thomas were offered future contracts last year and started this last season.

You say "remains" like it's an established fact. If that's so I'd like to see your sources. Under 6' is commonly accepted to be "undersized" for a WR. I doubt there's any hard data on the average height of NFL WRs, but here's some answers I found from google:

http://www.stack.com/2011/03/01/2011-nfl-combine-results-wide-receivers/

Averages from 2011 combine (didn't cherry pick the year, that's just the one that showed up in the search results)

Average Top Performer Height Height: 6'1"

Average Top Performer Height Weight: 200 lbs.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwiki.answers.com%2FQ%2FWhat_is_the_average_NFL_wide_receiver_height&ei=X_lCUcGSE7CXiQf-wIDABQ&usg=AFQjCNFWqEmutXhk0iCxu1FZeLaqS7ExLQ&sig2=RX0Lf516CvT8TAh7dXK3vw&bvm=bv.43828540,d.dGI&cad=rja

That one says 6' - 6'3

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Average_height_and_weight_of_NFL_wide_receivers

Average height and weight of NFL wide receivers?

Answer:

After doing all the research, from what I can tell the average height and weight of an NFL wide receiver its apprmox. 6'2 and roughly 205lbs.

That one says he actually ran the data, but who knows.

Posted

Bottom line is that if Austin is all that and a bag of chips, then he should be in line for major consideration. I don't care what size he is, if he is tough ...

Electrifying, explosive playmakers who can take it to the house every time they touch the ball don't come along every day, so you can't just use size to reject them out of hand.

I agree. If he looks like a can't miss WR prospect, size doesn't matter. All I've got to go off of is youtube videos, and based on what I've seen I don't see a guy that is a can't miss WR prospect. I haven't seen him run all the routes, I haven't seen phenomenal route running on the ones he did run, I haven't seen anything that makes me think he can run the deep ball and outjump defenders like Smitty. The closest thing I can compare him to in the NFL is a smaller Reggie Bush, based on college performance.

Could he have all the things I just listed and I haven't seen it? Sure. But based on what I've seen, if he were our pick at #14 I would initially be disappointed. I'd keep an open mind, just like I did with Kuechley (wasn't big on that pick leading to the draft when everyone was predicting it) and I'd be the first to admit I was wrong if we took Austin way too high and he turned out to be everything some here thinks he can be (like I did with Kuechley).

Posted

Hi i don't post here much but that might increase first I don't like short WR's but if we are ever going to find a replacement for Steve Smith This Tavon Austin might be it

as for our current group of WR's Lafell is a stilll learning solid #2 & Gettis was appearently a 1 yr wonder & Pilares could be a good slot & ST guy & A.Edwards is a Special Teamer at best nothing more & Adams needs to develop more before he see the field as a WR

SO the question is can you see Tavon Austin as a #1 WR i can & i can't see any WR on our roster as a future #1

This has to be the same kepickle from scout.com haha.

But no, he isn't a #1 type receiver, though he could be a #1 offensive threat. I see him being very dangerous early in his career as a slot receiver, kick returner, and scat back. But as he ages he will just be a solid slot receiver. He could prove everyone wrong like smith did and become an unstoppable #1 receiver, so you just have to ask yourself is his floor worth it if his ceiling is that high?