Photo
- - - - -

Tavon Austin projected to be top 15 pick.

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,814 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

last time i checked the superbowl winners had TWO deep threats and USED THEM TO WIN TOO. if not for that long play by jones ravens would have lost denver. also check out this display of the deep threat at the superbowl baby.........................................

Dont forget about Dennis Pitta

#62 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,677 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

Fauria is a 6'7 TE who had 11 TDs last season. He'll be available through rounds 5-7. We don't need to draft one in the second round.

I understand the argument for 'size', but there isn't a single WR in this draft that has Tavon's playmaking abilities. Cordarrelle is the closest but he's not the most dependable receiver. Keep this in mind (for those who are referencing Smitty as the slot receiver), Smith will likely be retiring after this season. It's not illogical for Getts to draft a speedy WR to replace him.

Gettleman loves playmakers and he's not opposed of using the slot as a key component in the offense. They did it in NY to set up the vertical attack.

#63 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• HUDDLER
  • 2,878 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

I understand the argument for 'size', but there isn't a single WR in this draft that has Tavon's playmaking abilities. Cordarrelle is the closest but he's not the most dependable receiver. Keep this in mind (for those who are referencing Smitty as the slot receiver), Smith will likely be retiring after this season. It's not illogical for Getts to draft a speedy WR to replace him.

Exactly my point.

#64 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,142 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

Smith will likely be retiring after this season.

I wouldn't make this assumption, do you know how much money he is scheduled to make these last 3 years?

#65 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 11,367 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

http://voices.yahoo....349.html?cat=14

It's an older article, but still... In 2004, the average height of an NFL receiver was 6-1 and the most productive group of receiver's was the 6-0 group.

The average height of an NFL receiver is 6'1" but the most productive height group in virtually every category are the receivers that stand 6'0". For all of the talk about taller receivers these numbers just go to show that the 'proto-typical' wide receiver is really the most productive. I guess that's why they are 'proto-typical' huh? Will wonders never cease?

In 2012 the top 5 WR in yardage were all taller then 6-3 and 15 of the top 20 were 6-1 or taller. Only 3 of those players were shorter then 6-0 tall (Steve Smith, Wes Welker and Lance Moore). Link

In 2011, 6 of the top 10 were 6-3 or taller, with only 6 players in the top 20 being under 6-1. Only 3 players in the top 20 were under 6-0 tall. (Steve Smith, Wes Welker, Antonio Brown) Link

#66 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,677 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

I wouldn't make this assumption, do you know how much money he is scheduled to make these last 3 years?

Have you listened to his interviews these past two seasons? He's tired. I doubt he sticks around for another three years. Smitty wants to be a full-time father and leave the game with a functional body (talks about what a horrific pain it is to undergo a full season nowadays).

89 also said (during his E: 60 interview) that he's made enough money to support his family if he were to retire tomorrow.

#67 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• HUDDLER
  • 2,878 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

He's obviously ready to be done. It's smart too. A fully functional body would be nice.

He's my favorite player ever. Grew up idolizing him. I've watched every interview. You can tell he's ready to hang 'em up.

There will never be as Smitty 2.0. But there has to be a replacement.

Think about the impact Smith would make if he left. The offense would be half of what it is now

#68 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,136 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

lol replace smith with tavon....tavon is a SLOT........smith is a deep threat in his prime..and still is a decent one now, just not as effective because he has slowed down some.

if you can sell me that tavon could be similar to jackson or smith i wouldnt mind him......still wouldnt pick him at 14 because d.jack was a early 2nd round pick and smith was a 3rd rounder. .....

#69 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,136 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Dont forget about Dennis Pitta

i didnt. i got love for te...just read all my lastest post. i understand now what you were trying to say when we first had our argument over the te.......

#70 Miiikey

Miiikey

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationSun Diego

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

I have a huge amount of respect for Jaws. So, I say yeah. Still would like BPA especially if a DT or a hole like that. "The next best WR" come every year.. saying that, theres a tonne of big men in this draft.

Sigh, I don't even know anymore.

#71 ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

Been on the Austin wagon for years. Guy is going to be a major impact player.

#72 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,677 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

lol replace smith with tavon....tavon is a SLOT........smith is a deep threat in his prime..and still is a decent one now, just not as effective because he has slowed down some.

if you can sale me that tavon could be similar to jackson or smith i wouldnt mind him......still wouldnt pick him at 14 because d.jack was a early 2nd round pick and smith was a 3rd rounder. .....

Prime? Smitty passed his prime. He's been in steady decline.

At this point, Austin is an unknown as a deep ball threat. Tavon was employed as an underneath threat to defenses at WVU. However, it's not like Austin was a non-factor. His hands are decent and his route-running is good enough to give DBs panic attacks.

Once again, look closely at how slot receivers were used in New York. It wouldn't surprise if Dave drafted the most explosive player of 2012 and used him the same way The Giants would use their slot receivers to establish the vertical attack. Tavon's speed in the slot would cause frightening mismatches for defenses. They would have to overcompensate by sending over-the-top help closer to the line of scrimmage (leaving DBs limited with LaFell, Smitty, Olsen and Bryant in coverage).

#73 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• HUDDLER
  • 2,878 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

I am not comparing Austin to Smitty necessarily. There's obviously no actual replacement for the god that is Smith. When I say replace, I mean in role.

#74 beastson

beastson

Cam

• HUDDLER
  • 9,068 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

It's a tossup

I "prefer" an offensive lineup and Allen of course if everything pans out with his knee before draft day, but Austin is definitely a play-maker period

#75 Miiikey

Miiikey

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationSun Diego

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

In my very limited exposure to Patterson and Austin, I'd say I'd rather have Austin. His speed is unbelievable, size I don't think would be an issue (Welker, Smith, etc). If he can break away like that or even catch quickly and leg it, its a wrap. He is going to create a lot of space himself just with speed. Now if he was to get caught and smashed, thats when his size could be an issue.

I was watching some Patterson videos and I see him run sideways a lot as opposed to down the field. He has a tendancy to stop on a dime and thus more defensive players can catch up. Austin would just be gone already. Not saying Patterson is bad, I'd still take him, but 2nd WR to Austin (if available). Patterson has the ability to just go up and grab the ball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.