Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ThatGuy

Hardy and Lafell

67 posts in this topic

No I agree with you I don't expect cam to make it to the end of his deal but if hardy blows up this season I don't think we will have enough money to resign both so let cam play through year 4 then resign him when all of the bad contracts are gone Imo

I think Hardy is gone. We just wont have enough money. I also dont see Gross and Dwill back, so that may help us in bringing back Hardy, but Im clueless. I guess by the way we're working in FA, we're aiming to lose Hardy by tanking the season for Clowney lol. :)

We have to believe Gettlemen is serial about money. That is the only way we can continue to grow. By keeping the contracts reasonable. You only get so many big contracts. So you cannot overpay anyone. And I don't think Gettlemen is inclined to do so.

Good comment. Part of his background is scouting players ahd making an impression in free agency--basically, he had to gauge a player's value and relate it to the needs of the team. I imagine he did not scout the high end players as much as the lower end players--good free agents acquisitions are rarely the gems of free agency. I think he got to know the value of players better than someone scouting the college draft.

He is also not just focusing on this season. He is not trying to create an instant winner but he is interested in buildning a winning foundation.

While some on here think Hurney was great until the last few seasons, Gettlemen realizes that you have to address ALL positions and that the supporting cast is as important as the five or six high-profile players.

Would we really want to Franchise Cam? How would he react to it?

I think Cam could be seeing big bucks as soon as the end of 2013 going into 2014.

If you have to actually use the tag, you pretty much know where that player stands. He is not happy with your offer. On whether that affects his on feild performance? Got to hope it doesn't, but always remember it can.

Agree with the amount of money Cam is going to get. But A Lot of it depends on the next two seasons. Hardy will be extended after this year. So Cam should expect his money the following year. Giving Cam plenty of time to pad the resume'. If he continues to lead the way during this mobile QB revolution, he is going to set the bar as to what that QB will earn.

One of the cool thing about Cam is all the firsts. Being the Prototype has its perks. OROY. First to throw for over 400 yards in first two games. First rookie to throw and run for over 30tds. First in everything is pretty damm impressive. At least in my mind anywho.

His first contract is going to be a doozy. 6 years for 72 mil would mean Cam has not progressed. 6 years for 90mil sounds like Cam has gotten it together. And 6 years for 110 mil sounds like we are Super Bowl Contenders.

And there is absolutely no way that Cam does not sign his second contract with the Carolina Panthers. We would have to implode big time for Cam to leave. And with Gettlemen running the show. That ain't gonna happen.

Just my thoughts, take em for what they be. Boring Fri with the wife being gone all day, not having to do my chores, fodder.

Greg Hardy is a must keep. Hardy is the kind of player where you find a way to keep him. And he sure as poo wants to play for Carolina. I'm really tired of people thinking our guys dont want to play for us.

Honestly Lafell on the otherhand needs a 1,000 yd season to justify resigning him. He's a good player but if we end up taking Patterson he is expendable.

Marty Hurney was worse than Matt Millen.

Whoa, let's not say things we can't take back because nobody's as bad as Matt Millen.

Hardy will be retained, you can't let that guy go.

LaFell won't break the bank, so yes he'll likely be retained as well. He'll be payed like a #2 WR.

Are we going to be able to sign Cam? Thats the real question.

Cam's contract is coming up any day now.

We can't extend him until the new league year starts in 2014, literally. Those are the rules.

Whoa, let's not say things we can't take back because nobody's as bad as Matt Millen.

Got carried away. Still, I always thought that Hurney inherited a lot of talent. Look at the drafts right before his arrival--when that talent left, Hurney's true colors came through.

However, I think Hurney stocked and paid free agents at RB like Millen did WR. They are comparable. Hurney was exposed in 2010 and fired in 2012. Millen was exposed and fired 6 years later, making him worse.

Got carried away. Still, I always thought that Hurney inherited a lot of talent. Look at the drafts right before his arrival--when that talent left, Hurney's true colors came through.

However, I think Hurney stocked and paid free agents at RB like Millen did WR. They are comparable. Hurney was exposed in 2010 and fired in 2012. Millen was exposed and fired 6 years later, making him worse.

I think Hurney was more average or a little below than anything (Which is why his teams often checked in at the 7-9 or 8-8 marks). He was just an up and down guy, who made some stupid decisions with players he liked too much.

But he was doing some things right. For that superbowl team, he got Delhomme, Peppers, Proehl, Witherspoon, Gross, Davis, and Foster. The game breaking talent that was here before his arrival was basically from that one draft where Seifert shockingly knocked three picks out of the park with Morgan, Jenkins, and Smitty. So I think that he did a good job with that.

He also did ok recently because he got the guys we are worried about extending (Cam, Hardy, etc.) He just screwed up the cap this year and possibly next year with dumb extensions.

Good comment. Part of his background is scouting players ahd making an impression in free agency--basically, he had to gauge a player's value and relate it to the needs of the team. I imagine he did not scout the high end players as much as the lower end players--good free agents acquisitions are rarely the gems of free agency. I think he got to know the value of players better than someone scouting the college draft.

He is also not just focusing on this season. He is not trying to create an instant winner but he is interested in buildning a winning foundation.

While some on here think Hurney was great until the last few seasons, Gettlemen realizes that you have to address ALL positions and that the supporting cast is as important as the five or six high-profile players.

This should be the Huddle mantra.

As a franchise we have been in a funk the last few years. Mainly because we had a cap guy running our football team. Gettlemen is a talent guy. A football guy. Those facts alone should give everyone a needed shot in the arm.

IMO, Gettlemen is doing exactly what he should be doing. He is trying to scrap off the dead weight, cap wise, so he knows what he is working with. Then he will go about adding to the team. He is not going to make any decision before its time. And when he does make a decision, it will be for the betterment of the team as a whole.

Maybe, just maybe, he does not see all the doom and gloom others would have you see. So he is taking his time to do things right. Some of us Huddlers see us as a pretty good team that does not need an infusion of players. Just the right few and we are better.

There is still plenty of time to fill what few holes we actually have. I am willing to give him that time to see what he wants to do. If he does this right, we are better. If he fails, which I sencerely doubt, we are then in gloom and doom mode.

We have a top notch Football Guy running the show. Give the guy the time he needs to see what he can do. If he is everything we expect. We are going to get better. If he cannot get the job done. Well, that ain't gonna happen.

Sorry, I can't quite get into words what I am thinking. Hope this is close enough to get my point across.

This should be the Huddle mantra.

Gettlemen is a talent guy. A football guy. Those facts alone should give everyone a needed shot in the arm.

IMO, Gettlemen is doing exactly what he should be doing.... he is taking his time to do things right....Hope this is close enough to get my point across.

I understand where you are coming from. It is hard to eat your veggies when the other kids are chomping on candy bars. We are having to watch other teams get better (on paper, but not necessarily the ledger sheet paper) and it is hard. If Cole sticks, he is a genius. He is brilliant if Florence plays well. There is a good chance that is happening, but if not, so what? He is not guaranteeing $$. He is going to show us how to fill holes with no money.

The draft will be interesting. I expect to see a trade down if possible. SF has a ton of picks and would love a few players when we pick.

Are we going to be able to sign Cam? Thats the real question.

Cam's contract is coming up any day now.

Why do you and other people keep worrying. Cam is not going no where. Cam will get paid and everything will be fine. Panthers would not waste a 1st round pick on him if they wasn't going to resign him after his rookie contract. Unless he all of a sudden he has a flop of a season and does bad. He will get paid and things will be good. Gettleman knows what he is doing. We don't. Let Gettleman do his job. Things will be ok in the near future for this team.