Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

first wave of free agency drying up...

25 posts in this topic

Posted

I agree. i thought Thomas and Dockery looked good and can improve. I think our Lines are more priority then our secondary and then a new receiver threat threw draft or FA

Exactly our corner's are young,cheap and plenty of room to improve. DT is a major need right now. For fugs sake just pay Dwan, it can't be that much that he's looking for. We also need to get a damn FS in here and would rather not have to waste a pick on that if at all possible.

There have been a ton of DT's signed already so Dwan has little chance of scoring big, he just sounds like he wants more than a 1 year deal and he deserves it.

Posted

Cason fell off last year. Josh Thomas and James Dockery played extremely well for us last year.I don't have the time to breakdown every game but I'll give you guys this.

The corners who played the outside the most down the stretch were Thomas and Dockery.

Combine they played 483 snaps in coverage. Thomas played only 6 in the slot so the rest were on the outside.

Of those 483 snaps in coverage combined they were targeted 67 times and gave up 44 receptions for 572 yards and a whopping 2 TD's. One against Julio Jones and one against Sproles when they lined him up on the outside.

Then Norman who gets knocked all the time played 447 snaps in coverage was targeted 80 times and allowed 54 catches for 670 yards. He gave up 2 TD's and had 1 pick.

Norman was also victim of playing his man 20 yards off(scheme or lack of trust from Rivera) and went against the likes of Brandon Marshall,Julio Jones, Roddy White,Victor Cruz,Miles Austin,Dez Bryant,Deymarius Thomas,Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams as a rookie.

Munnerlyn played the slot decent last year but I fail to see a huge dropoff between him and Drayton Florence.

This team needs somebody who can cover a TE in the worst way and thats going to have to come from the safety position.

I was incredibly impressed by Dockery and Thomas last season, and I know that Cason has dropped off recently (hence his availability). But I would still rather add a veteran body that has played well with this coach before to give us some flexibility if those guys overperformed in a limited sample size.

I agree a safety that can cover a tight end would be a good pick up.

Posted

For fugs sake just pay Dwan, it can't be that much that he's looking for.

There have been a ton of DT's signed already so Dwan has little chance of scoring big, he just sounds like he wants more than a 1 year deal and he deserves it.

I think you're about what Dwan wants. Think the Panthers offered 1 yr and he at least wants 2

Posted

I think you're about what Dwan wants. Think the Panthers offered 1 yr and he at least wants 2

Cullen Jenkins and Chris Canty both signed 3 year 8 million dollar deals with 2 million guaranteed. The cap hits in year 1 was is just a above 1 milliion. With ony 2 million guaranteed it would be nothing to cut them after 1 year.

Thats the market for Dwan at best. If somebodys offering more then I understand but if gets that or less somewhere else this will be a major strike against Gettleman for me.

Posted

I dont see nothing wrong in giving him 2 years, he was productive. Thats what matters most. If you tell me that CJ and Hardy will get double digits sacks again with Dwan back i will take that all day.

Posted

i said it yesterday, he's not going to get a better deal than he was offered here...at least not significantly better. if he does go elsewhere, there's other fat fish in the sea.

Posted

I dont see nothing wrong in giving him 2 years, he was productive. Thats what matters most. If you tell me that CJ and Hardy will get double digits sacks again with Dwan back i will take that all day.

i don't see much wrong with it, except he's got some age to him and right now the market isn't paying that much. i don't want us to pay anything over market value. if we gave him 2 years right now, that's exactly what we'd be doing. we just can't afford to do that anymore. those days of overpaying have to be over for this team to go forward.

Posted

from conversation with albert breer on the drive

With the Carolina Panthers not making any noise so far in free agency we ask Albert if that’s a good tactic or is it better to jump right in.

“Generally you don’t win on the first day of free agency the teams that win in free agency are the ones laying the weeds at this point.”

“Supply far out weighs demand this year so you have a lot of teams that have sat back and waited.”

http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2013/03/14/nfl-network-albert-breer-if-im-dave-gettleman-my-first-priority-is-getting-the-salary-cap-ready-for-the-next-few-years/#.UUNSfC_rC6M.twitter

Posted

If we can sign Brent Grimes or Quentin Jammer, I would say we've done a decent job in free agency with what we had to work with. Grimes could be a steal, and Jammer is a solid player. We then can hope for Lotulelei to fall in the draft. If not, trade back and stock up as much picks as possible.

Posted

from conversation with albert breer on the drivehttp://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2013/03/14/nfl-network-albert-breer-if-im-dave-gettleman-my-first-priority-is-getting-the-salary-cap-ready-for-the-next-few-years/#.UUNSfC_rC6M.twitter

^^This.

We aren't the only team that has its back up against the cap.

Posted

There is plenty of good talent, starters even sitting out there without a team. We have quite a few overpaid players on our team already, which explains to some of you why we haven't Miami Dolphined up this free agency class yet. Yea it would be nice to be able to spend willy nilly, but unfortunately we aren't in the position to do so, and those teams that have, will probably be in our shoes a couple years down the road and none of them have what we have, which is Cam Newton.

Posted

Good, now it's time to find some value.