Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlotte Worried about stalled talks with Panthers

216 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

The chair of the Charlotte City Council’s economic development committee justsounded the two-minute warning on the local NFL stadium talks.

Democratic Councilman James Mitchell tells me recent setbacks in the state legislature to secure funding for stadium improvements could prove even costlier if no progress is made by the end of this month. The Carolina Panthers have quietly signaled a desire to have a sense of where the negotiations are headed by the end of this month, several politicians told theCharlotte Business Journal this week.

“If we don’t have anything in front of the Panthers (soon), they might look at other options,” Mitchell said. “It’s up to the elected officials to show appreciation for the Panthers.”

Mitchell said the notion of any type of tax increase, even if it affects just Charlotte, won’t work in Raleigh.

“I didn’t know the climate in the General Assembly,” he said this week when asked about the stall in the Panthers’ negotiations. “I was naive. I thought this was a no-brainer

All kinds of stumbles have followed since the city and team reached the outline of an agreement last month. The biggest: lack of support from the governor and N.C. lawmakers for any state money or approval for higher tourism taxes.

Then, too, the state and local restaurant lobbies criticized the suggested meals tax, though some local restaurant executives later signaled a willingness to go along. By then, state legislators from Mecklenburg County had lost their appetite, if one ever existed, for the tax hike

Saying no to a team “might not bite the politicians in the butt,” Ganis told me Friday. “But it will bite the taxpayers.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2013/03/stalled-talks-with-carolina-panthers.html

Posted · Report post

Im not worried. There are a lot of teams that would be in line before us to move.

Posted · Report post

Im not worried. There are a lot of teams that would be in line before us to move.

Didn't say you were worried, I do find it interesting that they gave the State a deadline though. Also think it's funny that the state has said no to any type of tax hike. "Which pretty much eliminates the conversation between the state/city and the Panthers about the renovations."

Posted · Report post

My jaw would literally hit the floor if we lost the Panthers. Did they not learn their lesson with the Hornets?

The Bobcats are lame as hell. We love our Panthers. If we lose them some one get me Bane on speed dial to handle this mess.

Posted · Report post

1yuaeg.jpg

;)

Posted · Report post

My jaw would literally hit the floor if we lost the Panthers. Did they not learn their lesson with the Hornets?

The Bobcats are lame as hell. We love our Panthers. If we lose them some one get me Bane on speed dial to handle this mess.

Which is why this is more like extortion

Posted · Report post

1yuaeg.jpg

;)

haha it's not like our owner played for the Baltimore Colts...

Posted · Report post

Not really, Panthers own their stadium and it would be a much quicker process if we were re-located, because we don't have to go through legal binding stuff with the city(which is what JR wants).

Posted · Report post

I just love how city and state leaders complained about losing money when we lost the Hornets, and now they're firmly back in 2001 Hornets Negotiating mode. You still have to be firm, but they're putting themselves in position to have their bluff called again.

Posted · Report post

Not really, Panthers own their stadium and it would be a much quicker process if we were re-located, because we don't have to go through legal binding stuff with the city(which is what JR wants).

It still requires 75% approval...there are more financially dismal teams out there that would be a better fit. It''s not good business and that's what this is.

Posted · Report post

The Panthers threatening to "look at other options" is about the same as a little kid threatening to hold their breath if they don't get the candy they want.

Posted · Report post

If this doesn't work, watch JR start "talking" to billionaires that are interested in having an NFL team.....Charlotte would go into automatic panic mode.