Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

carpanfan96

Charlotte Worried about stalled talks with Panthers

207 posts in this topic

Charlotte is just more white-collar than blue-collar. Blue-collar = more rabid fan-base. White-collar = what wine goes best with that cheese.

We simply don't have the right demographics to be a truly passionate sports-town on the whole. Sure there are pockets of die-hard fans, but they are vastly out-numbered by the largely indifferent.

Just wait for the 2nd and 3rd generation fans.

I think what the Panthers are doing is funny.

There is nothing to lose and everything to gain by asking the city for money.

They aren't moving, we all know that, but they will play the city officials who are scared that they won't get re elected if they play hardball with the Panthers.

Like I said, nothing to lose by asking. And I hate it.

This decade of mediocrity + DirecTV Sunday Ticket + the sheer number of transplants will limit the size of our 2n and 3rd generation fans. Plus I'm greedy, I want that atmosphere this year.

I hope you're right, and imagine that you are, to an extent. Hopefully there is still a team in place for those cultivated fans to cheer on.

I still don't think we'll ever be a sports-lovers dream city- at least in my lifetime. It would be nice to have a whole city (relatively speaking) that was truly passionate about its sports teams. I just don't think Charlotte has it in itself to be that city.

But, there are some positives to being a loyal fan of a team since its inception, in a town that largely doesn't really care one way or the other. We, true die-hard Panther fans, are a small minority compared to the support some teams receive in their respective home cities, so on the rare occasion when we do actually win, it's all the sweeter in some ways.

I hope you're right, and imagine that you are, to an extent. Hopefully there is still a team in place for those cultivated fans to cheer on.

I still don't think we'll ever be a sports-lovers dream city- at least in my lifetime. It would be nice to have a whole city (relatively speaking) that was truly passionate about its sports teams. I just don't think Charlotte has it in itself to be that city.

But, there are some positives to being a loyal fan of a team since its inception, in a town that largely doesn't really care one way or the other. We, true die-hard Panther fans, are a small minority compared to the support some teams receive in their respective home cities, so on the rare occasion when we do actually win, it's all the sweeter in some ways.

For Charlotte and the Carolina's to become Panther fanatical, this is what needs to happen. The Redskins, Steelers, and Cowboys would need to cease to exist and there would have to be a mass exodus of people in Chatlotte moving back to their home states in the north and Midwest. If neither happen, the Panthers will suffer the same fate for their entire existence. Or if they go on a Patriot type run, then maybe those local assholes I mention above will convert.

For Charlotte and the Carolina's to become Panther fanatical, this is what needs to happen. The Redskins, Steelers, and Cowboys would need to cease to exist and there would have to be a mass exodus of people in Chatlotte moving back to their home states in the north and Midwest. If neither happen, the Panthers will suffer the same fate for their entire existence. Or if they go on a Patriot type run, then maybe those local assholes I mention above will convert.

Sadly, you're probably right. :(

We just need to win and have a philosophy of aggressive football. We forget that we've had nearly 10 years of no balls/candyass/3rd and Punt John Fox. No one wants to be fan of that.

Anyone feel like it cuts into their passion for this team and organization the fact the idea of moving is being discussed?

I wish we were an organization that didn't have that possibility out there

Funny how all the Republicans on this board who have stood party lines and railed against any tax increases and fought government involvement at all levels are now screaming for a tax hike and begging the state government to step up and keep their beloved Panthers in Charlotte.

Thats interesting. Of the two types that exist:

1) Those who believe the government exists to serve the individual.

2) The government exists for the greater good.

I have find that all of my friends who call themselves Democrats follow the first type more despite Kennedy's epic quote "Ask not what your country can do for you. . . but what you can do for your country". I find that most Republicans often site reasons to do things based on it being better for the country as a whole.

So, when you say what you said, it kind of made me do a double take. . . . and besides arent both sides responsible for all this bullchit?

Lol lets see what happens this time hehehe, last time some guy so pissed he told me mom slept with satan.

Thats interesting. Of the two types that exist:

1) Those who believe the government exists to serve the individual.

2) The government exists for the greater good.

Neither.

The government exists to represent the will of the people. Remember the popular slogan of the 1750's "no taxation without representation?" If you read the history of the origin of that slogan and how it morphed into a slogan that rallied the American Revolution, and again read it with respect to the 21st century and how it applies now., you might understand my position.

The government does not and cannot exist for the "greater good" as the definition of such is rather subjective and certainly has more meaning than we can possibly explore.