Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlotte Worried about stalled talks with Panthers

216 posts in this topic

Posted

Funny how all the Republicans on this board who have stood party lines and railed against any tax increases and fought government involvement at all levels are now screaming for a tax hike and begging the state government to step up and keep their beloved Panthers in Charlotte.

Posted

2001:

"If any team relocates it'll be the Clippers. They're terrible, and there's two teams in L.A."

"Nah, it'll be the Warriors. They're not very good and they've moved several times already."

"What about Charlotte or Seattle?"

"No way. Never happen. They're both good teams entrenched in their cities."

Posted

If this doesn't work, watch JR start "talking" to billionaires that are interested in having an NFL team.....Charlotte would go into automatic panic mode.

El Rushbo?

Posted

I'm not naive, I understand how these things work. I'm just saying if it does happen I will be laughing like hell.

I kinda think I would cry, and probably laugh at the idiots in Charlotte who didn't want a quarter added to their tab.

Posted

Considering a professional sports team already moved out of Charlotte, why would this surprise anyone?

Posted

God forbid JR dies before we get a deal in place to tie the Panthers to Charlotte........this team would be as good as gone....the Richardson children waiting to cash in.

lmao

Posted

Funny how all the Republicans on this board who have stood party lines and railed against any tax increases and fought government involvement at all levels are now screaming for a tax hike and begging the state government to step up and keep their beloved Panthers in Charlotte.

Republicans like football. They don't want to raise taxes and give it to poor people, that's not the Republican way. It's ironic though, that Pat McCrory is the one who threw up his hands and said no, considering he was elected mayor of Charlotte during the Panthers first season.

Financially it's probably the right move. As for getting re-elected...if the Panthers move, he'll be run out of the state.

Posted

The state interestingly enough making this public, is giving the team the proof it needs.

There are tons of alternative ways to get funding. A ticket surcharge for example. Public Bonds.

I don't think JR could simply say "well we asked once for tax money off to LA!"

Posted

I can totally see the Panthers leaving. It would be the final nail in this baffling franchises' coffin. Looking at this franchise as an outsider, it's probably hard not to view the Panthers as anything but a complete joke. From Hurney's terrible contracts and borderline retard draft trades, to JR's tanking a season and sticking it to the players, to Bank of America stadium turning into a glorified home away from home for visiting teams.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

Posted

LA is far more valuable to the NFL as a bargaining chip than to actually put another team there.

Don't want to help fund stadium improvements? LA!!! Doom and Gloom!!!

Don't want to build a NEW stadium?? LA!!!

Don't want to bend over for ole Roger?? LA!!!

Any other city wouldn't even make the average NFL town blink.

Posted

not to mention that the aforementioned champions of small government in raleigh are going big brother and essentially telling the city of charlotte that they won't let them raise their own local taxes as they see fit.

Posted

What a total coincidence that JR just happens to know some billionare in LA that wants an NFL team. What are the odds.