Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LB takes pay cut

42 posts in this topic

Posted

He's a DE.

He's taking a pay cut so that his team, which is very close to a SB, can bring in another guy to help them.

What motivation is there for Beason or Gross?

None for Gross.

Shouldn't of not cut JA....made DWill a June 1 and told Beason to take a paycut or join DWill. Even if a bluff, we could of made him call it. Gettlemen is taking the long approach out of these bad deals that are handicapping us. We could be getting out sooner....improving....even if there are more ideal scenarios. We still pay a price short term for waiting them all out

Posted

Definitely disappointed in Gross and Beason not restructuring their contracts. DWill's contract is a killer for us obviously but not sure what would help us there (I assumed we would try and trade one of him or Stewart at some point but that looks impossible with Stewart being hurt and Williams crazy Hurney contract). Charles Johnson although one of the few impact players we have on defense is overpaid as well IMO.

I understand the players point of view (no one wants to give up money) but I'd think the motivation is to look where they've been in their profession the last number of years and want to do something to help the team be better but $$$ is what it's all about on every side.

Posted

Definitely disappointed in Gross and Beason not restructuring their contracts. DWill's contract is a killer for us obviously but not sure what would help us there (I assumed we would try and trade one of him or Stewart at some point but that looks impossible with Stewart being hurt and Williams crazy Hurney contract). Charles Johnson although one of the few impact players we have on defense is overpaid as well IMO.

I understand the players point of view (no one wants to give up money) but I'd think the motivation is to look where they've been in their profession the last number of years and want to do something to help the team be better but $$$ is what it's all about on every side.

No one wants to trade for one of our RBs...everyone else thinks we are retarded.

Posted

Nope, dead money from his previous contract limits that.

You can pay him what was agreed but structure it differently to move cap hits around to counter the accelerated dead money. It's really not that hard.

Posted

It was pay cut or be cut... you ready to cut Gross?

If I'm Gross, I would rather be cut. He will end up with more guaranteed money than taking a pay cut.

Posted

Take into account while Dumerville didn't light it up last season, at least he was on the field. Beason has been getting full pay the last 2 years to basically do nothing but rehab. You'd think he'd at least take a paycut this year, kinda pisses me off.

....yea, when I dont work I dont get paid...

Posted

If I'm Gross, I would rather be cut. He will end up with more guaranteed money than taking a pay cut.

Gross already has most of that in the bank....how it impacts our cap space is different than what he is paid.

All about what we he can get now vs if he had to go elsewhere

Posted

Sorry for being not-very-polite, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Gross's best chance at a nice payday is to re-up with Carolina. He'll get less on the open market than he would get from us. And that's assuming he takes a 15 to 20% pay cut.

Posted

But Beason and Gross are stand-up guys.......

and should get reduced salaryfor being on IR last season alone...

Posted

and should get reduced salaryfor being on IR last season alone...

Agreed, he did not hold up his end of the bargain. From what I've seen out of Beason, I don't think he's happy about Luke taking over in the middle, so I'm sure that's contributing.

Posted

Agreed, he did not hold up his end of the bargain. From what I've seen out of Beason, I don't think he's happy about Luke taking over in the middle, so I'm sure that's contributing.

My guess..

Beason will never restructure....take every penny he can from us. He will then wait for us to cut him to he hopefully can play MLB somewhere.

In Beason's own words, he is better suited to be a MLB than OLB. I think he he knows he can't play OLB at as high of a level....he has already said Davis is supervisor in the past. Nor does he seem like the type to want to be Luke's sidekick. I think he is happy and respects Luke's play...as he thought he was the best player in that draft and then helped coach Luke up. But he is a MLB....and even he won't say it will want to go be that somewhere where he is the man.

Posted

The difference is no player wants to take a pay cut to remain with the Panthers.

QFT

But, why would they? We haven't been a contender for years, we have a new GM who may want to shake the roster up anyway, and we pretty much have a lame duck coaching staff.

The future is murky in Carolina right now. We hope it's bright, but if I was a player I'm not sure I'd be willing to take a pay cut to be a part of it. I might just roll the dice and force them to pay me or cut me.

2 people like this