79 replies to this topic

#46 The Golden Child

The Golden Child

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

Boothe would be an instant upgrade at the guard spot. Of course we will get out bid for his services........

#47 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,603 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

Sooner or later we have to sign somebody. I'm going stark raving mad over here.

Do efing something. Restructure someone. Cut somebody. I don't care. If I have to go through the whole weekend reading all this drivel over and over and over again. I swear I'll have to shoot Hatter.

#48 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 5,247 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

I'd love to land Boothe. Not sure how much he'd cost, but he'd immediately upgrade our OL.

#49 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

Jets signed OG Willie Colon to a one-year, $1.2 million contract.

My point exactly. For one of the best guards in the league, 1.2 million is a steal. Yeah, he has a lot of penalties, but his #s were fantastic other than that. (according to PFF, his #s come in at run blocker (+6.0) and a pass protector (+4.6)) https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/15/2013-free-agency-live-blog-day-4/

#50 The Golden Child

The Golden Child

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

Sooner or later we have to sign somebody. I'm going stark raving mad over here.

Do efing something. Restructure someone. Cut somebody. I don't care. If I have to go through the whole weekend reading all this drivel over and over and over again. I swear I'll have to shoot Hatter.

lol

#51 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,630 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:41 AM

Gettlemen is not showing me much in getting these deals done.I thought for sure we should have had DEdwards signed.These guys are not playing for food scraps

#52 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

Gettlemen is not showing me much in getting these deals done.I thought for sure we should have had DEdwards signed.These guys are not playing for food scraps

Lol dude, he jumped into one of the worst cap situations in the whole NFL. He's basically doing damage control right now trying to clean all the crap hurney left behind

#53 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts
  • LocationWilkesboro

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

My point exactly. For one of the best guards in the league, 1.2 million is a steal. Yeah, he has a lot of penalties, but his #s were fantastic other than that. (according to PFF, his #s come in at run blocker (+6.0) and a pass protector (+4.6)) https://www.profootb...ive-blog-day-4/

I love Colon, but he seems oft injured.

#54 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • 3,687 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

We can only offer slightly above vet min 1 year deals. Not many players will sign for that before exploring their options.

#55 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

We are about $4 million under the cap--could be saving that for draft picks, but I would not. If we are, then ask yourself, "Would you cut Hangartner and Williams (about $3 million in cap space) to add Boothe? I would.

I do not get this, "We do not have cap space" argument when there are many players on our roster with unguaranteed money who are not contributing. GWilliams (not well , anyway), Hangartner (would have been a great DT because he lives in the offensive backfield), Clausen, Armanti, Onatalu, etc.

IF we want Boothe, we can offer $3 million a year, about what it might take. But please do not think that we are obligated to keep what we have on the roster. I would cut Williams and Hangman in a NY minute to get Boothe in here.

#56 DeeJay

DeeJay

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationHell Paso Texas

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

Why don't they just Cut Gross already...

Extra 10 million right?

#57 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,317 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

Extra 10 million right?

bc this team is about Cam Newton...cutting Gross would make his job even more difficult. You want him to have below average LT, LG, RG, and RT play?

If we cut Gross, lets just trade Cam then...I feel for the kid. OL is one of the few places you should be willing to waste a little money with overspending

#58 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,606 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

Extra 10 million right?

Because there are no cheaper upgrades in the free agency market and no one on our roster that could step in and take his place.

Do you really want some bum protecting Cam's blindside?

Also, it is unlikely any of the top 3 LTs in this draft will be available at 14 in the draft.

#59 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

Extra 10 million right?

We would get $6.7m in cap relief, but the cap hit is higher.

Here is what PFF says about his value--
https://www.profootb...ensive-tackles/

3. Jordan Gross, Carolina Panthers
2012 Cap Hit: $11.5m
2012 Performance Based Value: $6.1m
Value Differential: -$5.4m
Like Williams, Gross (+16.3) didn’t grade out poorly in 2012, finishing the regular season as our 20th-rated offensive tackle, but he just wasn’t worth the $11.5 million that Carolina paid him. His 94.7 PBE Rating was tied for 26th among players at his position and, while it would have been difficult for him to justify that cap hit regardless, that’s too much pressure to allow from a left tackle being paid that much.

Then there was this paragraph in a statement about Atlanta's Sam Baker:
https://www.profootb...-make-no-sense/

One of the great fabrications in the NFL is that you need a franchise left tackle. The book and movie The Blind Side made the position into something it wasn’t, a glamor spot on the roster, and contracts given out to these stud pass protectors began to perpetuate the myth. The only problem is that we’ve seen recently you don’t need a great left tackle to win if you have a great quarterback. We’ve also seen that the best left tackle in football won’t make a bit of difference to your fortunes on offense if you can’t find a legitimate quarterback.

So, if you look at things from PFF's point of view, we should probably consider letting Gross walk.

I disagree with this perspective, but am interested in what others think.

#60 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

I dont think we can find a quality replacement for Gross and protecting Cam is worth more than $11 million... If he wasn't a greedy asshole, he would restructure and we could get 4-5 million back this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com