Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Panthers exercise option for Tolbert in '14, '15.

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#61 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

the only thing keeping deangelo from being cut is probably that stew doesn't really possess the breakaway speed that rivera wants to have in the backfield. williams is the closest thing to a scat back that we've got. that said i think a minor weakness at the RB position isn't that hard to swallow when you've got cam newton as your quarterback and when that money can go towards shoring up the offensive line or defense.

i'll honestly be surprised if deangelo is on the roster come august.

I kinda disagree. I think Stewart is actually faster than Deangelo, he can't cut like him but he can break away for sure.

#62 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,756 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

I kinda disagree. I think Stewart is actually faster than Deangelo, he can't cut like him but he can break away for sure.

they may be close on straight line speed, but that rarely gets you places. you usually have to make a move or two first.

#63 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,615 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

Well you would be wrong. Dwill is and has always been faster.

#64 Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

I like it...for what he does, it's a fair price.

#65 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,647 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

Well you would be wrong. Dwill is and has always been faster.

Stewart injuries have kept him from his top gear...playing at 80%. Coaches have said that repeatedly.

Williams' burst has been a little better....top end speed is about the same. Williams just has always reached his quicker...but that could ne running style sincr Stewart typically sheds contract before he sees open space. Stewart has showed his on rare occasions.

#66 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,615 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Stewart injuries have kept him from his top gear...playing at 80%. Coaches have said that repeatedly.

Williams' burst has been a little better....top end speed is about the same. Williams just has always reached his quicker...but that could ne running style sincr Stewart typically sheds contract before he sees open space. Stewart has showed his on rare occasions.

Well unless Stewart was also injured literally every time he was clocked during his time at Oregon then your argument is false. Williams is simply the faster back there is no debate.

#67 Firefox

Firefox

This Board Rocks

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

Williams' times of 4.40 and 4.48 at his pro-day, and Stewart's 4.46 combine ain't worth arguing about.

Both around 4.5 now - http://www.couchscout.com/pant.htm

#68 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,647 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

Well unless Stewart was also injured literally every time he was clocked during his time at Oregon then your argument is false. Williams is simply the faster back there is no debate.

He accelerates quicker...Williams top end speed and Stewart's are comparable.

And Stewart was hurt at Oregon...

#69 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,647 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

Williams' times of 4.40 and 4.48 at his pro-day, and Stewart's 4.46 combine ain't worth arguing about.

Both around 4.5 now - http://www.couchscout.com/pant.htm

So Stewart ran a 4.46 at the combine...on a iffy foot. Yeah, DeAngelo is so much faster.

They simply run different. Stewart makes contact, Williams doesn't....

#70 SpeedOFLight

SpeedOFLight

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationGreensboro NC

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

One thing I don't get is why people are so high on cutting deangelo. I'm a fan of the game so the money he is getting paid doesn't affect me at all. He is still a great Rb.IMO this year we will lean heavily on our rbs. I would hope to see a more balanced attack without running our franchise QB more than our rbs.

#71 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

Yea their 40 times are similar but the 40 is terrible for determining real speed. I bet deangelo would beat stew by at least .2 in a 100m.

#72 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,647 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

Yea their 40 times are similar but the 40 is terrible for determining real speed. I bet deangelo would beat stew by at least .2 in a 100m.

Still they are comparable for the most

What isn't comparable is what happens when a defender gets a hand on them

#73 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Still they are comparable for the most

What isn't comparable is what happens when a defender gets a hand on them

that is true, however, we rarely get to see the opportunity happen with one of the two.

#74 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,647 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

One thing I don't get is why people are so high on cutting deangelo. I'm a fan of the game so the money he is getting paid doesn't affect me at all. He is still a great Rb.IMO this year we will lean heavily on our rbs. I would hope to see a more balanced attack without running our franchise QB more than our rbs.

Yeah, last off season people said we would run the RBs more and Cam would be a pocket passer....

We didn't run Cam more than our RBs but he needs his touches...he needs him bc is a significantly more dangerous runner than anyone else can be.

I am a fan of the Panthers...so highly paid money to guys sitting on the sidelines impacts the caliber of guys actually on the field

#75 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,647 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

that is true, however, we rarely get to see the opportunity happen with one of the two.

Really? Who is that. Stewart played a higher percentage of snaps than any RB in the division on 2011. Has been viewed as one of the most elusive RBs in the NFL for years now...

Stewart FINALLY misses a chunk of games 5 years into his career and people blow it out of proportion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com