Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

(Joe P exclusive)The Gettle speaks: Understands our frustrations

123 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

<p>[quote]PHOENIX

Attention, Panthers' fans: Dave Gettleman feels your frustration.

The Panthers' first-year general manager is frustrated, too.

Taking over a roster that was about $16 million over the salary cap when he was hired in January, Gettleman has spent most of his first free agency as GM cutting players and getting the Panthers below the $123 million cap.

The Panthers released three defensive starters – CB Chris Gamble, LB James Anderson and DT Ron Edwards – while re-signing three backups and/or special teams players.

Their lone acquisition has been Drayton Florence, a 32-year-old cornerback who started three games for Detroit in 2011.

But Gettleman said he has a plan, and talked about the need for patience.
“You can't print money. Everybody in the league knows we're up against it. We're trying to figure it out, and we have a plan,” Gettleman said Monday at the NFL owners meetings at the Arizona Biltmore.

“It's just about patience, it really is. Believe me, we are just as frustrated as anybody else by our current situation. However, there's answers out there and we have a plan that I feel good about. When it's over, it's going to be fine.

“We live in an instant gratification society, and I get all that. But at the end of the day, this takes time.”

Gettleman did not offer details about that plan, but indicated the Panthers will be more active in the second wave of free agency as the market cools and players' salary demands decrease.

“The bottom line is it's a buyer's market. We get that. But at the same time we want to be respectful and you don't want to anybody in your building that's upset over getting a low number,” Gettleman said. “We're just trying to be thoughtful and a little bit maybe for some, too methodical. But we're going to be thoughtful and methodical about how we operate.”

The Panthers made offers to two defensive starters – cornerback Captain Munnerlyn and defensive tackle Dwan Edwards – that the players believed were unsatisfactory. The agent for Munnerlyn, who became a bigger priority with the release of Gamble, is scheduled to talk with the Panthers again Monday night, according to a league source.

Gettleman said he thought the Panthers had a “puncher's chance” to re-sign one or both of the players.

Gettleman would not discuss the contract status of veteran left tackle Jordan Gross, who was asked to take a pay cut to help the Panthers' cap situation.
Gettleman said it was awkward cutting Anderson and Gamble because he did not know either player.
By cutting Anderson, the Panthers are putting their faith in veteran linebacker Jon Beason, who has been limited to five games due to injuries since signing a five-year, $51.5 million contract extension two years ago.
Gettleman said he is confident Beason, who is coming off knee and shoulder surgeries, will hold up for an entire season.

“We're pleased with his progress. He's working extremely hard. He's a professional, and he wants to play,” Gettleman said. “At the end of the day Jon Beason's a football player. That's what he wants. He's working very hard at his rehab and we're very confident that he'll be fine.”
--Joseph Person[/quote][url="http://buzz.a-proxy.info/browse.php?u=Oi8vYmxvZ3MuY2hhcmxvdHRlLmNvbS9wYW50aGVycy8%3D&b=13"]http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/[/url]
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Well, it's nice to hear the man speak rather than grabbing theories out of thin air.

Posted · Report post

[quote]
“You can't print money."
[/quote]
Really? Let's ask the Federal Reserve.

Posted · Report post

Good job hurney

Posted · Report post

What does "having a punchers chance" mean?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Proudiddy' timestamp='1363641468' post='2166537']
Really? Let's ask the Federal Reserve.
[/quote]

Well YOU can't print money...

Posted · Report post

“We live in an instant gratification society, and I get all that. But at the end of the day, this takes time.”

[img]http://t.qkme.me/355eo4.jpg[/img]

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Gabeking' timestamp='1363641477' post='2166538']
Good job hurney
[/quote]

My ire for that man grows by the passing minute.

Posted · Report post

A fuggin punchers chance at signing captain and dwan? You gotta be kidding me. If that's the only shot we've got you can just forget everything else. Looks like band aids and rookies from here on. 6-10 at best with a new coach and staff in bound.

Posted · Report post

So by time I'm assuming 3 years. Fixing a Hurney takes some serious time.

Posted · Report post

Well Rayzor was spot on.

Posted · Report post

Not really going to judge Gettleman on this offseason(as long as he doesn't do something ridiculous)
Not many GM's walk into a non-playoff team that is &16M over the cap.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='SCP' timestamp='1363641992' post='2166549']
So by time I'm assuming 3 years. Fixing a Hurney takes some serious time.
[/quote]
Yea by the start of the 2015 season, Hurney's name shouldn't need to be spoken as most of his damage should be relieved. Hopefully by the we have Cam locked up, Keek getting locked up and a new #1 WR.

Posted · Report post

In all honesty, who thought he was going to come in and we'd be Superbowl contenders this coming season. Lets get real. Be patient, and eventually we will be. Look at what the Niners went through to get to where they are now.. years and years of mediocrity. Hopefully won't take that long, but we gotta be patient. In Gettleman I trust.

Posted · Report post

He does have a point. Patience is hard to have but sometimes you have to be realistic and deal with it. At in end of the day, I think we will be fine. Beef up the trenches on both sides. I believe this team will see the playoffs next season even without a "big signing". These past two seasons we have be close but no able to close out games. We fix that and we are in there.

Posted · Report post

Why hasn't Beason been approached about a renegotatiation?

Posted · Report post

So a punchers chance is saying we might get lucky as we wont have the biggest offer but for example might guarantee starting time versus being a backup elsewhere. The odds may not favor us but we might be his best choice if money isn't the only factor.

Posted · Report post

Don't really know what some of you expect from him at this point. He didn't put us in the mess we are in and if you thought we were gonna just go out and sign whoever we wanted is crazy. Give the man some time to put his stamp on things before declaring him hurney 2.0

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Feldman9000' timestamp='1363643736' post='2166579']
Why hasn't Beason been approached about a renegotatiation?
[/quote]
who says he hasn't? I figure Gross was made public because if he is released being so popular there would have to be an explanation

Posted · Report post

This is the same guy who said he would use free agency to fill holes so we could go bpa in the draft.- He has not verbally back pedaled on this statement yet, but some of you gladly will let him because its so fun to blame everything on Hurney.

He also said if your not improving the bottom part of your roster you not improving. -Resigning Hartsock,Brockel, Senn, and bring in the likes of Frank Omiyale and Chris Williams is not improving poo. There's plenty of players at the bottom of the roster who could be cut to create some more breathing room as well to allow us to get some imrpovements in here.

He also said he told Rivera if they do this right him and JR will be holding up the Lombardi. -Think about that for a second. The team has to improve or at least the win-loss record must imrpove for Rivera to deserve to keep his job. If we go backwards at all then theres no way he's hoisting up a Lombardi with us ever.

This guy has done nothing thus far to differ himself from what we saw under Hurn dog. I'd even argue something would have been worked out with Gross by now if Hurney was still here.

I have made no firm judgements on him as of yet but seems some of you will give him a free pass no matter what and just blame everything on Hurney.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='panther4life' timestamp='1363644200' post='2166588']
This is the same guy who said he would use free agency to fill holes so we could go bpa in the draft.- He has not verbally back pedaled on this statement yet, but some of you gladly will let him because its so fun to blame everything on Hurney.

He also said if your not improving the bottom part of your roster you not improving. -Resigning Hartsock,Brockel, Senn, and bring in the likes of Frank Omiyale and Chris Williams is not improving poo.

He also said he told Rivera if they do this right him and JR will be holding up the Lombardi. -Think about that for a second. The team has to improve or at least the win-loss record must imrpove for Rivera to deserve to keep his job. If we go backwards at all then theres no way he's hoisting up a Lombardi with us ever.

This guy has done nothing thus far to differ himself from what we saw under Hurn dog. I'd even argue something would have been worked out with Gross by now if Hurney was still here.
[/quote]

We have no money dude...we can't make significant progress, when we have contracts like Beasons, Dwills, Godfreys, J-Stews. I'm very concerned about this team. But blaming any of this on Gettleman is preposterous.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Wanting Hurney back will buy you an instant ticket to the City of Lost Credibility.

Posted · Report post

Can we start referring to the "hurney era" as "the Hernia". Its fitting.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='ButWhysTheRumGone' timestamp='1363644421' post='2166592']
We have no money dude...we can't make significant progress, when we have contracts like Beasons, Dwills, Godfreys, J-Stews. I'm very concerned about this team. But blaming any of this on Gettleman is preposterous.
[/quote]

What about my post said I was blaming anything on him? I am not upset or happy at this point as it is too early but I am not going to give him a free pass to suck for a year or 2 or 3 because of those contracts.

Posted · Report post

Not to worried least we ain't Dallas with that 50,000 cap space left..