• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#31 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

This is a blessing in disguise. It is all but certain that Rivera will not be our coach in 2014.

#32 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,614 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

What about my post said I was blaming anything on him? I am not upset or happy at this point as it is too early but I am not going to give him a free pass to suck for a year or 2 or 3 because of those contracts.

You just seemed to be inferring it. Especially when you said Hurney could have gotten Jordan to resctructure. That's all i meant by it.

#33 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

You guys mince words so bad its not even funny.

So here we go 1 sentence at a time to make it easier on some of you guys(not trying to be an asshole and start some internet beef so please nobody take it that way okay :)).

Let me be clear. We are in a shitty cap situation and thats because of the contract's Hurney signed.

Dwelling on Hurney's shortcoming's in every thread will not make our situation any better.

I am not down and out on Gettleman yet.

However I do not like the fact that Gettleman was quick to re-sign Brockel, Harstock,Senn and even considered signing the likes of Frank Omiyale and Chris Williams who are not better than anyone on our team from what I have read and see when looking at Pro Football Focus stats.

I know we have little money to spend, so why waste any of it on the guys I just mentioned, when he specifically said he's going to set us up for bpa in the draft and says we need to imrpove the bottom of the roster as well.

Lastly there are guys at the bottom of the roster, of which he mentioned improving that can be cut,cause 0 dead money in the future and allow us more room to make moves.

#34 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,506 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

"This team is a fuging mess and I'm doing my damnedest to fix it" Don Gettleman

#35 rscott94

rscott94

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

Posted Image

#36 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

You just seemed to be inferring it. Especially when you said Hurney could have gotten Jordan to resctructure. That's all i meant by it.

Only inferred Hurney could get Jordan to restructure because he has a history of doing such. Hurney got his "cap genius" label from doing this sort of thing in the past.

This board will go psycho on you if mention the name Hurney without mentioning your hate for him, desire to kill him, that we are screwed forever because of him, etc.

#37 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,860 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

Are you kidding me? Some of you sound like whiny little ingrates. If you feel sooooo strongly about Papa Getts not spending money (which we don't have) on high priced free agents then lead by example. Shut your trap and donate revenue to the Carolina Panthers Adopt-A-Free-Agent program or offer your Cap Wizard talents to the franchise.

#38 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,538 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

all that may sound good, but im a prove me guy.we been hearing the same story since the cardinals beat the hell out of us in the playoffs.not firing Hurney when Fox was let go was a huge mistake, but since he is the GM he needs to start chopping at some of these bad contracts.the cap can be played with and manipulated to make room.

#39 cbully

cbully

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

This is a blessing in disguise. It is all but certain that Rivera will not be our coach in 2014.

i think the opposite. excuses are more valid now!

#40 chknwing

chknwing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

it is what it is

#41 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,231 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

Can't blame him.

#42 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

What does "having a punchers chance" mean?

In this case I'd say it means we have Can whom we can build an offense around, & Luke whom we can build a Defense around. Thus there is a chance both players would want to be a part of that.

#43 raleigh-panther

raleigh-panther

• HUDDLER
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

Amazing how some teams cut everyone, have salary cap hell, go with rookies, and win (Colts as an example)....then, there are the Panthers...never at a loss for an excuse or scape goat for losing...year after year after year.

It's the owner, its Fox, its Hurney, this player is hurt, his player isn't playing to potential, Cam isn't a leader, Cam has a towel on his head, 'this player needs to be cut (insert name her) on and on and on.

The NFL sure has a bunch of suckers coughing up money for tickets, including me.

Some organizations know how to win and some know how to lose. Maybe, it is as simple as that.

#44 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,607 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

You guys mince words so bad its not even funny.

So here we go 1 sentence at a time to make it easier on some of you guys(not trying to be an asshole and start some internet beef so please nobody take it that way okay :)).

Let me be clear. We are in a shitty cap situation and thats because of the contract's Hurney signed.

Dwelling on Hurney's shortcoming's in every thread will not make our situation any better.

I am not down and out on Gettleman yet.

However I do not like the fact that Gettleman was quick to re-sign Brockel, Harstock,Senn and even considered signing the likes of Frank Omiyale and Chris Williams who are not better than anyone on our team from what I have read and see when looking at Pro Football Focus stats.

I know we have little money to spend, so why waste any of it on the guys I just mentioned, when he specifically said he's going to set us up for bpa in the draft and says we need to imrpove the bottom of the roster as well.

Lastly there are guys at the bottom of the roster, of which he mentioned improving that can be cut,cause 0 dead money in the future and allow us more room to make moves.

You can't base all personnel signings, especially depth signings, based on advanced statistics. They can be skewed in any number of ways: shitty overall scheme, improper scheme fit, bad coaching, etc. Gettleman is regarded as one of the premier talent evaluaters in the league, so I'll trust his judgement on who he chases on depth signings, especially to this point.

Now regarding your point about cutting depth chart bottom dwellers to free up space - this isn't really that cut and dry. Cutting low salary people doesn't really free up much money, and certainly not the entire value of their contract. Every time you cut a low salary guy yo effectively add another person to the cap figure at the same time - someone that wasn't a top 51 salary before that person was cut. So you see, when you cut someone with a 600k salary it bumps up someone with a around a league min salary onto the cap figure, so you only net about a 200k cap gain. Point being we can't just cut a ton of low salary guys to make room for big signings, unless they literally cut everyone. You only really make room by cutting large contracts. You replace low contract guys with similar low contract guys in lateral moves because just cutting them does next to nothing for your cap.

#45 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

You can't base all personnel signings, especially depth signings, based on advanced statistics. They can be skewed in any number of ways: shitty overall scheme, improper scheme fit, bad coaching, etc. Gettleman is regarded as one of the premier talent evaluaters in the league, so I'll trust his judgement on who he chases on depth signings, especially to this point.

True but Omiyale and Williams have failed in multiple places, plus I try to do my due diligence to at least be have somewhat of an informed opinion when discussing possible moves. None of us are better than Gettleman at his job, but it should not preclude us from discussing potential signings.

Now regarding your point about cutting depth chart bottom dwellers to free up space - this isn't really that cut and dry. Cutting low salary people doesn't really free up much money, and certainly not the entire value of their contract. Every time you cut a low salary guy yo effectively add another person to the cap figure at the same time - someone that wasn't a top 51 salary before that person was cut. So you see, when you cut someone with a 600k salary it bumps up someone with a around a league min salary onto the cap figure, so you only net about a 200k cap gain. Point being we can't just cut a ton of low salary guys to make room for big signings, unless they literally cut everyone. You only really make room by cutting large contracts. You replace low contract guys with similar low contract guys in lateral moves because just cutting them does next to nothing for your cap.

Valid point, that I had never considered. Good post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com