SooSlow84

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationYour mother's basement

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

If you say so it must be true

And I do, therefore it is. I meant take a paycut though, not restructure. It's going to happen, they're just negotiating on numbers. Am I an insider? No, but I have a brain. We can argue all we want, but before the season starts gross WILL be playing for less or he won't be on the team.

#17 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,707 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

We paid out an option bonus to Tolbert to keep him here for a few more seasons, we shifted Stewart's contract to pay him more money upfront. DWill was always the most obvious cut but with these actions I think it's very clear.

The only reason why he hasn't been cut already is that it makes no difference to us if we cut him now or June 1st. By keeping him, well maybe some team misses out on the RBs they like in the draft and they decide to throw a trade offer at us. Not likely but we don't lose anything by holding onto him for now.

#18 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,655 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

We paid out an option bonus to Tolbert to keep him here for a few more seasons, we shifted Stewart's contract to pay him more money upfront. DWill was always the most obvious cut but with these actions I think it's very clear.

The only reason why he hasn't been cut already is that it makes no difference to us if we cut him now or June 1st. By keeping him, well maybe some team misses out on the RBs they like in the draft and they decide to throw a trade offer at us. Not likely but we don't lose anything by holding onto him for now.

Curious,

Can trades have June 1 cut applications?

#19 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 5,255 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

Good points. I'd love to hang onto DeAngelo, but it's just not realistic to hang onto both his and Stewart's contracts. IMO, his deal was made by Hurney with the intention of releasing him after this coming season.

#20 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 9,707 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

Curious,

Can trades have June 1 cut applications?

It's the same thing, cutting or trading a player. If cut/traded before June 1 the dead money accelerates to this season, if after it applies to next year.

Cutting a player you have the option to designate them a June 1 cut even if you cut them before that date. Trading them there's not that option so if we trade DWill it would actually have to be after June 1st.

This means that in the unlikely event that we find a trade partner we wouldn't gain any draft picks this year but instead they'd be dealing us future picks (which actually makes it more likely that a team will give us something for him).

#21 Panther53521

Panther53521

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • LocationHickory, NC

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

Gross knows this will be his last contract with the Panthers for large money. He knows he is the best option to make cap room next yr. so if I was him I would hold on to my money too.

The only way to lower his number this year is to extend him, which we all know that is not a good thing.

This will be Gross's last year in a Panther uniform

#22 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,069 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

As has been said Anderson has been designated as a June 1st cut. I doubt Williams is cut this year. He will be cut next year. As for Gross I suspect the draft will decide if we keep or cut him if he doesn't restructure. We would only consider letting him go if we can get a top 1st rounder who is plug and play. Most guys are expected to be gone by 14 or if a DT we want is there we might go that way and keep Gross. I expect the decision isn't made yet.

#23 toldozer

toldozer

finally someone fatter than Alice

• HUDDLER
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

Why do you guys want to move money to next year. We need to have space next year to go ahead and lock Cam up long term. Why do we want to eat into that cap more then already necessary????

#24 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,069 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

It's the same thing, cutting or trading a player. If cut/traded before June 1 the dead money accelerates to this season, if after it applies to next year.

Cutting a player you have the option to designate them a June 1 cut even if you cut them before that date. Trading them there's not that option so if we trade DWill it would actually have to be after June 1st.

This means that in the unlikely event that we find a trade partner we wouldn't gain any draft picks this year but instead they'd be dealing us future picks (which actually makes it more likely that a team will give us something for him).

Where is the documentation or link that says that trading a player after June 1st is the same as cutting him.
I looked on several sites and none of them referenced this. I sent an email to "ask the commish" with this question. I did see a jets blog saying they are the same in reference to cutting or trading Revis but nowhere else.
This links suggests that June 1st cuts are different than trades, not the same.
http://insidefootbal...g/archives/3990

Can you clarify??

#25 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 9,707 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

Where is the documentation or link that says that trading a player after June 1st is the same as cutting him.
I looked on several sites and none of them referenced this. I sent an email to "ask the commish" with this question. I did see a jets blog saying they are the same in reference to cutting or trading Revis but nowhere else.
This links suggests that June 1st cuts are different than trades, not the same.
http://insidefootbal...g/archives/3990

Can you clarify??

It's all in the CBA. Feel free to download and read a PDF of it.

#26 x djdrew x

x djdrew x

• ALL-PRO
  • 275 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

Could be wrong but im pretty sure that there is automatic salary set aside every year for rookies per new cba.....

#27 TNPanther

TNPanther

Jimmie Rustler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,137 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say DeAngelo. It was obvious last year that he is not an ideal fit for Rivera's philosophy, and such a cut would make the most sense. We simply cannot afford to cut Gross.

#28 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Gonna live and die as a faithful Panther Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 3,532 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:15 AM

We already have a June 1st cut in James Anderson.

I may be wrong but I thought we were allowed 2 June 1st cuts in advance.

#29 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,655 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

In a perfect world then Don Gettleman is shopping him for "anything" and come June 2 he is cut or traded. We deal with the cap hit and end up back in the green that much faster.

#30 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,655 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

Why do you guys want to move money to next year. We need to have space next year to go ahead and lock Cam up long term. Why do we want to eat into that cap more then already necessary????

Might be forced to to fill problem area's and sign draft picks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com