Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The case for trading down

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#13 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

SUPPORTER

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

Well, it doesn't have to be Jordan, Mingo or Ansah would work. Point is, that with NO going to a 3-4, they will HAVE to get the key component for that scheme which is an OLB. Many teams behind them need the same cog.

My one and only mock had Pittsburgh moving in front of them since all of the Steelers LB's are old and some being cut.

I think if any of the three, Jordan, Mingo, or Ansah are on the board, we will have an opportunity to move down.

Heh I was just saying it'd be awesome to be able to trade down AND screw NO in the process.

#14 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

Heh I was just saying it'd be awesome to be able to trade down AND screw NO in the process.

No problem, I understood what you meant. Just went a little further with who else might precipitate a trade. I think NO having us in front of them should give them nightmares.

#15 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

SUPPORTER

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

Well I think Jordan and Ansah will be gone before our pick but Mingo has a real shot at being there to be out trade bait. The Jets are the biggest threat of taking him I think, but a lot of people are projecting them to take a WR. It sure would be nice to have the option to trade down if Star isn't available.

#16 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

HUDDLER

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

If Star is available, it is only because his heart condition does not check out. That worries me at the point. If he has a condition, the I would not take him until like the 4th round or later, as a flyer.

If he is healthy, he should go top 6. That will help us as it moves someone down. Hope Geno goes before us also. And I would love for NYJets to take a WR.

#17 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

SUPPORTER

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

He could fall a bit and the heart condition not really be a problem. It's pretty much already been cleared, but sometimes teams have already got it in their mind they're gonna play it safer. Sapp dropped because of low bench and drug tests, never got in any trouble with drugs in the NFL. I'm not saying he'll definitely be there for us, but it's certainly possible and I hope Gettleman isn't one of the GMs that's already made up their mind.

#18 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

So the OP is suggesting that if there are no good players worth taking at 14 we should trade down to one of the many teams that are sure to be desperately trying to rise get the not good players

seems reasonable brosef

#19 Dash Global

Dash Global

HUDDLER

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

So the OP is suggesting that if there are no good players worth taking at 14 we should trade down to one of the many teams that are sure to be desperately trying to rise get the not good players

seems reasonable brosef

I thought I already explained this to you.

There is no good players for the Panthers considering our team makeup and needs.

If we needed a DE or LB for example then there are certainly good enough players for the 14th pick.

Or if the FO wanted to take a gamble on a player like Patterson. A guy who has a TON of potential. I dont like to gamble with such a high pick when we have so many needs / holes.

#20 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

Keep Pounding...all the way to...the draft! :D

SUPPORTER

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

Honestly we need to trade down and trade D-will in order to have a successful draft. Even if we package D will with a draft pick of our own to move up after we traded down.

5 picks is just not enough.

It makes me think if we did not trade our third this year to pick up Joe Adams, what could have happened? Alexander would have been there, picked him up. Picked up a guy from a practice squad or something. Or made Armond smith and Captain take over the Return game. Hurney just makes me so livid at times.

#21 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

HUDDLER

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

I think most people (98%) on here would love to trade down and add multiple picks. Every year we wishes to trade down. Again, I dont think it'll happen this year.

If we were able to trade down in next month Draft, believe me it's not going to be with Minny. Minny wants to keep all the picks they can, especially with trading away Percy. The "Rams" might be a team we could deal with. They have "two" 1st and a 2nd like Minny. We could probably trade down, switch 1st(16) and get their 2nd(46) rounder in return. That would be a very good deal. Other than that, maybe the Dolphins said they wanna get back into the 1st and has no need to be in the 2nd round. And they send us both their 2nd rounders (42 and 54) for our 14. I would gladly take that trade offer. We would pile up three picks in the 2nd round. Just a thought.

#22 Dash Global

Dash Global

HUDDLER

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:19 AM

i dont see the rams giving away a 2nd to only move up 2 spots.

id do the dolphines trade in a heartbeat though.

#23 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

HUDDLER

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

Guys that will most likely be gone before we pick.

3 OT's Joeckel, Ficsher, Johnson
2 DT's Shariff, Star
Jarvis Jones
Dee Milliner
Geno Smith
Dion Jordan
Ziggy Ansah
Chance Warmack

These guys will most likely be the top 11.

We are left with

Patterson, Mingo, Cooper, Austin, Rhodes, Richardson, Trufant, K Allen, Vaccaro
as the next tier of guys to choose from.

This is why we could drop a few spots and get the same value.

#24 section543

section543

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

With the realization that 2013 (and 2014?) are not breakout years for the Panthers, I even see trading for 2014 high round picks making sense. Don't get me wrong, I want us to be playoff contenders, but we're probably going to have to be content with doing it with current players, and better drafts.