Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stirs

New Helmet Rule

66 posts in this topic

I understand the theory behind it, but the practice of this rule sounds HIGHLY subjective to me... at what point is a player going to be flagged for protecting himself from impact by lowering his head?

Once you've lowered your head to protect yourself, how can you tell where the crown of your helmet is going?

RB's are taught to run behind their pads, which means lowering your shoulders - so how do you lower your shoulders without lowering your head? LOL

This rule change is all going to depend on how its called on the field. From what i have read the intent is t to flag every ball carrier who ducks his head to protect himself. More it is supposed to be for someone in the open field who decides to use his helmet as a weapon and could also be called on the defense.

So there is a ton of grey area in the rule. Will come down to what they decide to throw a flag on

It wont (rightfully) get passed. I dont see how they could make it work effectively.

It was his suggestion, he is the 'Player safety' police, and a reporter (i cant remember which (mort?)) said that its Goodell that's pushing it and that it was gonna happen because Goodell wants it to happen.

It has to be voted on by the Owners. Goodell can only recommend the rule change he cannot force it onto the owners. Unless he has some major skeletons on each of them. LEVERAGE.

i think they put in on the table for may. they'll need 24 owners to vote for it

Power backs would become penalty backs.

It has to be voted on by the Owners. Goodell can only recommend the rule change he cannot force it onto the owners. Unless he has some major skeletons on each of them. LEVERAGE.

True, point taken. But don't forget who hired goodell. If he recommends something to the owners they would more than likely be inclined to listen.

I understand the concern because for a few years now backs have been lowering there hats and defenders have been called for helmet to helmet.

Go back to the leather helmet.

Please.

well now i just heard they are voting on it today