65 replies to this topic

#31 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,177 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

What about a tight end in the open field? WR?

#32 SmashNDash

SmashNDash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

I get that backs should lower their shoulders but how do you do that without lowering the helmet? Especially on a goal line play?

This doesn't effect goal line plays. Read the rules, this doesn't effect plays inside the tackle box or less then 3 yards passed the line of scrimmage. So in other words, doesn't effect goal line plays, 3 and 1 or any of our running backs, ZING.

#33 GRWatcher

GRWatcher

visiting from Kepler-186f

• HUDDLER
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationStatesville

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

I get that backs should lower their shoulders but how do you do that without lowering the helmet? Especially on a goal line play?

Difference is that when you lower your shoulder, you can't lead with your helmet. It's leading with the helmet that will be penalized, not lowering it.

I hope they have a lllloooonnnnggggg summer school for the officiating crews. No replay on this penalty is gonna' suck.

#34 iamcline

iamcline

Thou shalt not spilleth thy Red Bull!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,573 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

The more things change, the more I move closer and closer to being a full-on hockey fan instead of football fan. Really sucks.

#35 XClown1986

XClown1986

I'm Rick Grimes, Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

Yeah i just went back and saw that it was approved for not leading with the crown outside of the tackle box. That makes sense. If you are leading with the crown outside of the box you cant see where the hell you are going anyway. Wont change much IMO.

#36 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 11,330 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

Watch Jim Brown run. A lot of the great power backs for the most part kept the head up and led with their shoulder.

#37 TylerVagyler

TylerVagyler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

These rules are being made because players are suing the NFL every other day. The league has to protect themselves from future lawsuits so every player doesn't say the league didn't do anything to protect them.

NFLPA Moto:
"Let us go out there and kill each other but if we have life-long effects from it, you better be paying for it or we'll sue you"

#38 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,877 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

I just don't know how much longer I'll be able to find this sport enjoyable.

It's just not the same game, but at least Roger will pocket some more money!!!

#39 TylerVagyler

TylerVagyler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

THIS ISN'T THE SAME GAME???

If you use the correct technique and are taught properly, this rule won't effect you. There's ZERO reason a player should lead with the crown of his helmet. It's stupid for his safety as well as his opponents AND its not even as effective as leading with the shoulders.

#40 TylerVagyler

TylerVagyler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

And Goodell doesn't "pocket money" from fines. They give it to charities.

#41 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 11,330 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

THIS ISN'T THE SAME GAME???

If you use the correct technique and are taught properly, this rule won't effect you. There's ZERO reason a player should lead with the crown of his helmet. It's stupid for his safety as well as his opponents AND its not even as effective as leading with the shoulders.

Yep, the problem is that players aren't learning proper technique till they get to the college, heck even sometimes the NFL. After 18 years of playing one way, it's hard to break habits that you develop over a long period of playing. Bad habits and technique is whats leading to the tons of injuries and long term health issues.

#42 TylerVagyler

TylerVagyler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

And that's exactly why this new rule is a good thing.

#43 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,443 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

*Outside the tackle box

#44 beastson

beastson

Cam

• HUDDLER
  • 8,802 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

That rule change isn't even all that bad. It's outside the box. Just don't lower your head, lower your shoulder or get outta of bounds

Atleast the tuck rule is gone

The Ravens to me proved they'll do whatever anyway during the season and just take the fines, come playoff time anything goes

#45 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 11,330 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

Clark Judge@ClarkJudgeCBSnow
Fisher said he talked to Eddie George about rule and wasn't in favor. After explained to him in 15 minutes, Fisher said, George on board.

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk1m
"We're talking about keeping the head up," Jeff Fisher explains. Runners can protect themselves, just not deliver blow with top of helmet.

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk12s
After hearing the rule explained, it sounds like it will not be as extreme or severe as many initially believed.

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalknow

The new helmet-use rule is not reviewable by replay, according to NFL V.P. of officiating Dean Blandino. It's a judgment call.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.