• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#46 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

I've always thought it was stupid that there were different rules for the D and the O. D couldn't lead with the head but the offence could. Think they've gone too far now though.

#47 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Basically outlawing offensive spearing. Not bad. Earl Campbell used his shoulders like battering rams.

#48 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,173 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

The more things change, the more I move closer and closer to being a full-on hockey fan instead of football fan. Really sucks.

Let's not get carried away here... LOL

#49 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,173 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

We'll have to see how this rule is put into practice... the spirit of it is limited to obvious spearing attempts by the offensive player in the open field and with all the rules limiting the use of the helmet as a weapon for defenders it only seems fair, but we'll have to say how the refs actually enforce this rule.

#50 usmcpanthers

usmcpanthers

Professional Lurker

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

This rule hurts running teams far more then passing. Well we wont see another near record breaking year from a RB ever again if this rule stays in effect.

#51 TylerVagyler

TylerVagyler

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

This rule hurts running teams far more then passing. Well we wont see another near record breaking year from a RB ever again if this rule stays in effect.

AP will not be effected by this rule.

#52 usmcpanthers

usmcpanthers

Professional Lurker

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

All RB's will be affected, Ive seen AP lower his head and truck defenders before.

#53 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,517 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

All RB's will be affected, Ive seen AP lower his head and truck defenders before.

Bringing your pad level down isn't against the rules, it's running behind your helmet and causing forceful contact with it that's illegal. A rb is still able to lower their pad level and truck defenders, just have to do it correctly now and lead with their shoulder pads and not their helmet.

#54 fjblair

fjblair

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

These rules are being made because players are suing the NFL every other day. The league has to protect themselves from future lawsuits so every player doesn't say the league didn't do anything to protect them.

NFLPA Moto:
"Let us go out there and kill each other but if we have life-long effects from it, you better be paying for it or we'll sue you"

I'm sure that is factor but it's absurd. Think about it. The NFL needs to pony up some of it's zillions of dollars and take care of the active and retired players medical expenses. Just pay health insurance that covers any football related medical problem then the players/ex players have no reason to sue. Head injuries and brain damage has and will always be a risk they take, Rule changes aren't going to eliminate the without eliminating the success of the NFL. A running back HAS to lower his head when he lowers his shoulders, it's often the only option because they use their arms and hands on many plays.

#55 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,517 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

I'm sure that is factor but it's absurd. Think about it. The NFL needs to pony up some of it's zillions of dollars and take care of the active and retired players medical expenses. Just pay health insurance that covers any football related medical problem then the players/ex players have no reason to sue. Head injuries and brain damage has and will always be a risk they take, Rule changes aren't going to eliminate the without eliminating the success of the NFL. A running back HAS to lower his head when he lowers his shoulders, it's often the only option because they use their arms and hands on many plays.

They don't have to lower their head at all, You can keep your pad level down and your head high and up so you can see where your going. To lower your helmet all the way and block vision is stupid and a health risk. Go watch Jim Brown or Bettis run through people with their shoulders while keeping their head up.

#56 GRWatcher

GRWatcher

visiting from Kepler-186f

• HUDDLER
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationStatesville

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

It seems that it's just in the last 8 years or so that more RB's lead with their helmets lowered. Wouldn't they have trouble keeping their balance doing that?

I think it's a good rule change.

#57 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,178 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

And the Pussification of the League Begins. Every game on sunday will be played in the rain. I'm out of here.

Posted Image

#58 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,173 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

Hey ATL, that big powerful back you just signed can no longer lower his head and plow through defenders.

Signed,
LOL

#59 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,063 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

It doesn't apply inside the tackle box. It only applies in the open field. The runner can't lower his head and lead with the helmet, which also means he's taking his vision away from the defender and looking down at the grass. He can still lead with the shoulder. It's not as bas as initially thought and I actually like it. Defenders can't lead with the helmet, so neither should runners. Besides, it's extremely stupid for any runner to do that anyway. The only concern is interpretation by the refs.

#60 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,517 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:28 AM

Trent Richardson blames himself for the new helmet rule.

http://www.theredzon...t-/Default.aspx

"I feel like I made it bad for all the backs," Richardson said today. "I feel like it's my fault."
He's fairly certain that his name will always be attached to the rule, which prohibits runners from using the crown of their helmets to fend off defenders in the open field.

"People keep telling me it's the T-Rich rule," he said. "I guess I made history today."

It's not exactly what Richardson wants named after him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com