Photo
- - - - -

would you take a flyer on marcus lattimore late?

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#61 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

All I can say is thank the football gods you guys aren't our GM.

#62 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

Norman came in to a position to play based on how thin we were at CB and how highly reguarded he was after the senior bowl. In reality,norman didn't look as good as many carolina fans would leave you to believe. If he was really the future and such a great player, i don't think chico would have benched him to look at josh thomas and dockery.

Oh I agree, Norman was terrible in his first year.

#63 mjligon

mjligon

REAL TALK ----->

• HUDDLER
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

Drafting a RB who is perhaps on his last leg would be asinine, especially when we have holes to fill, and only possess five draft picks to do so.

Lattimore (even in the fifth and sixth round) is a LUXURY pick for us. I'm using the term loosely as well considering Marcus will be buried on some team's depth chart or won't be playing in the NFL five years from now.

You're gonna eat those words.

#64 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,282 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

You're gonna eat those words.

Even if Lattimore becomes a superstar, we've got two already in J-Stew and D-Will with Butterball as reinforcement. We've also got Poole and Smith waiting for a shot (who, at least, appear like decent starters). I'm A-OK with missing out on Lattimore -- who isn't a feature back on top of it all.

#65 mjligon

mjligon

REAL TALK ----->

• HUDDLER
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

Even if Lattimore becomes a superstar, we've got two already in J-Stew and D-Will with Butterball as reinforcement. We've also got Poole and Smith waiting for a shot (who, at least, appear like decent starters). I'm A-OK with missing out on Lattimore -- who isn't a feature back on top of it all.

The idea behind drafting someone like Lattimore is being able to get 1st round (top 5 before injury) talent late in the draft.

This would make these expensive ass running backs we have stored away expendable down the line, thus freeing up cap space.

I would be willing to bet that DWill won't even be a Panther come August.

#66 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,297 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

Based on what?

I've won as many Superbowls as any Panthers GM

#67 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,282 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

The idea behind drafting someone like Lattimore is being able to get 1st round (top 5 before injury) talent late in the draft.

This would make these expensive ass running backs we have stored away expendable down the line, thus freeing up cap space.

I would be willing to bet that DWill won't even be a Panther come August.

You can free up all the cap space you want but if you take a massive risk on a RB who has sustained two career-shortening injuries (before even arriving in the NFL) with one of our five draft picks on a position we don't need, then good luck. Rolling the dice on Lattimore and cutting our two productive and proven assets screams out 'rookie move'.

Gettleman isn't a rookie.

#68 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,282 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

Based on what?

I've won as many Superbowls as any Panthers GM

Yeah, and I had as many rings as LeBron did last year. That still doesn't make me a 6'9 ft 260 lb athletic freak.

#69 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,582 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

yeah, football heaven forbid that we should pick up first round talent in the fourth or fifth round AND make even more reason to cut ourselves free from the contracts of williams and stewart that are crippling this team so we can go out and get more talent at other positions.

and btw...comparing the likes of armond smith and poole to lattimore? bwahahaha

I'll say it again, legit first round talent at a fourth or fifth round price...and that making the "need" for the likes of one or two of our ridiculously priced players vanish? sorry, but that's just good management. you replace overpriced and replaceable players for cheaper ones when you can and when you spot gold in unlikely places, you don't pass it by for any reason.

#70 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,297 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

Yeah, and I had as many rings as LeBron did last year. That still doesn't make me a 6'9 ft 260 lb athletic freak.

Well that would require transmorgification.

#71 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,297 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

yeah, football heaven forbid that we should pick up first round talent in the fourth or fifth round AND make even more reason to cut ourselves free from the contracts of williams and stewart that are crippling this team so we can go out and get more talent at other positions.

I'll say it again, legit first round talent at a fourth or fifth round price...and that making the "need" for the likes of one or two of our ridiculously priced players vanish? sorry, but that's just good management. you replace overpriced and replaceable players for cheaper ones when you can and when you spot gold in unlikely places, you don't pass it by for any reason.

You won't get through. These guys are ok with 7-9 and doing things like we've always done

#72 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,141 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

You won't get through. These guys are ok with 7-9 and doing things like we've always done

Had someone mentioned trading out 2nd next year for a 3rd this year to draft him people would be all over it.

#73 jdpanther5

jdpanther5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationBurlington

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

I'm not opposed to taking Lattimore in the 5th (perhaps fourth if we acquire another pick), but wouldn't drafting another RB when we have other needs be an example of "doing things like we've always done"?

I really do think this is worth considering though, since there's a really good chance DWill is gone come June.

#74 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,282 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

Gosh, you're so knowledgable. Who needs the Gman? We should just hire you to lead us to the promiseland.

Yes, let's draft a crippled future HOF'er RB who hasn't played a single down in the NFL yet and cut our losses with J-Stew and D-Will. This is a genius concept.

Yes. Totally bulletproof.

#75 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,297 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

I'm not opposed to taking Lattimore in the 5th (perhaps fourth if we acquire another pick), but wouldn't drafting another RB when we have other needs be an example of "doing things like we've always done"?

I really do think this is worth considering though, since there's a really good chance DWill is gone come June.

Drafting a player like Lattimore (and releasing the two overpaid RBs we currently have over the next two years) allows us to fill this roster with more talent at other positions...you know "other needs"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.