Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WR Steve Smith from Iraq: 'A life-changing experience'

49 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote]

I've covered Carolina Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith for all of his professional career. He can be downright volatile. When I heard his voice over a crackling phone line, it was clear he could also be genuinely touched. His feelings were understandable. Smith was part of a small group of NFL players visiting troops in Iraq. It was obvious he had been deeply moved by what he saw.

"You don't get a real appreciation for what our troops do until you see them," Smith said from Iraq. "It's incredible how they are over here, fighting for us, and most of us have no clue about what they're doing.

"Coming here and seeing them is a life-changing experience. They are fighting for us, with almost no recognition or appreciation from a lot of people in the United States."

Smith is in Iraq with Denver Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey, Cleveland Browns linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers guard Davin Joseph, Broncos linebacker Von Miller and Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt. They are part of a week-long USO tour across parts of the Middle East that has so far visited a number of military sites and hundreds of troops.

Smith said he spent a large chunk of his time with a group of soldiers who detect and disarm improvised explosive devices (IEDs), have killed or injured numerous American troops.

He also visited a hospital where soldiers had been injured by IEDs.

"They showed us how they detect them and it was incredible," Smith said. "These soldiers are so brave.

"It doesn't compare to what we do [NFL players]. It's not even in the same hemisphere with sports. Nothing we do as NFL players is brave compared to these guys."

Then Smith explained he wanted to say one last thing and what he said reminded me of the combative Smith. But this was the good combative Smith.

"One of the generals told us there are thousands and thousands of soldiers here fighting for our country and they need our support," Smith said. "No matter what people thought of the war or think of it now, these soldiers need our support. So the next time anyone is protesting, just remember, they have the right to protest because of soldiers like these."

[/quote]

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/21917858/wr-steve-smith-from-iraq-a-life-changing-experience
6 people like this

Posted · Report post

lol you beat me by 1 minute.

MODS: please delete my thread with the same subject. Thanks!

Posted · Report post

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]just remember, they have the right to protest because of soldiers like these."[/quote][/background][/size][/font][/color]
yeah, cuz saddam was about to take away our rights
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

this may well end up in the tinderbox because of the nature of the subject matter, and i don't mean this as an attack on steve, but i'd like to note that american soldiers in iraq are no more protecting our freedoms than 19th century british soldiers in colonial india were protecting the autonomy of the british isles.

fighting for their country =/= fighting to protect their country (unless you equate your country with hegemony, then i guess there's a case to be made)
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Geesh can't you guys just commend the man without going into your own personal diatribes?
3 people like this

Posted · Report post

Good for Steve. Just going to Iraq period, would be a life-changing experience, let alone visiting with soldiers over there.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Keith Moons Liver' timestamp='1363814233' post='2169244']
[/background][/size][/font][/color]
yeah, cuz saddam was about to take away our rights
[/quote]

Explain to us what you have done that compares?

Posted · Report post

Glad Steve is having that experience, puts things in perspective...

Posted · Report post

[quote name='TheRed' timestamp='1363816537' post='2169290']
Geesh can't you guys just commend the man without going into your own personal diatribes?
[/quote]

for what? i disagree with what he said, which is that "those guys are over there fighting for us" which i believe to be demonstrably false.

it's not a knock on smith, as the majority of people in the united states buy into the comfortable paradigm of good guy vs. bad guys. people tend to look at foreign conflict through the lens of hypernationalism. as an impassive observer i find that steve's actions are commendable in the sense that he is willing to humble himself and his profession in comparison to something far more sacrificial, but at the same time simple-minded because it follows a narrative that is clearly propagandist to anyone paying attention.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

this will end well.

Posted · Report post

How about we all just take a deep breath and say "Good Job Steve Smith" before any of you develop acute brain cancer from raging to hard. Excellent representation for the Panthers, I would say. No need to slam anyone, or anyones foreign policy choices.

Posted · Report post

If your mad about the war be mad at the right people. Support the men and women brave enough to be there if and when we need them.
4 people like this