• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 Jai.

Jai.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

I was in Afghanistan when Andy Reid, Childress, John Fox and some others came to visit on a USO tour. Unfortunately, I was outside of the wire, so I never got to meet one or anything, Toby Keith came and put on a concert for us, missed that as well, USO tour's are usually for Fobbits, lol, which isn't bad, but to combat guys rarely get to take part.

Awesome thing for them to do, none the less.

#32 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,351 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

You have no idea man. No freaking Idea.

Yep, Are you living in Mexico right now Ivan?

#33 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Gonna live and die as a faithful Panther Fan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

I was in Afghanistan when Andy Reid, Childress, John Fox and some others came to visit on a USO tour. Unfortunately, I was outside of the wire, so I never got to meet one or anything, Toby Keith came and put on a concert for us, missed that as well, USO tour's are usually for Fobbits, lol, which isn't bad, but to combat guys rarely get to take part.

Awesome thing for them to do, none the less.

I was in Bagram until January of this year. That pic is up North. What site were you at? Shank, Sharana?

#34 Jai.

Jai.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

When I was in country, it was Fob Salerno, im pretty damn sure it's Salerno Air Field by now, it's right outside of Khost province. We used to damn near drive all the way to Gardez to run missions, so we were usually out, clearing routes and kicking ass.

#35 Jai.

Jai.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

I was in Bagram until January of this year. That pic is up North. What site were you at? Shank, Sharana?

I was at Bagram for two weeks though in 07, Metal Detector training.

#36 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

• HUDDLER
  • 3,483 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

When I was in country, it was Fob Salerno, im pretty damn sure it's Salerno Air Field by now, it's right outside of Khost province. We used to damn near drive all the way to Gardez to run missions, so we were usually out, clearing routes and kicking ass.

I was with Fluor. The department I was with did O & M Services which we didn't provide at Salerno. The only service we provided was the Basic Life Support such as electrical, HVAC and plumbing.

People don't realize how Fugging cold it could get there as well as the summertime heat.

#37 Jai.

Jai.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

I was with Fluor. The department I was with did O & M Services which we didn't provide at Salerno. The only service we provided was the Basic Life Support such as electrical, HVAC and plumbing.

People don't realize how Fugging cold it could get there as well as the summertime heat.

Man, the weather is ridiculous, and the desert doesn't retain heat, at all, so it'd be a good 115 degrees in the daytime, and like 30 at night. Jeez, and for us, the only way we weren't going to roll out on a mission was if the bowl wasn't clear, meaning if the choppers can fly, we're rolling out. Conditions, who cares? We were hunting for IEDs with a few feet of snow on the ground.

#38 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

• HUDDLER
  • 3,483 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

Man, the weather is ridiculous, and the desert doesn't retain heat, at all, so it'd be a good 115 degrees in the daytime, and like 30 at night. Jeez, and for us, the only way we weren't going to roll out on a mission was if the bowl wasn't clear, meaning if the choppers can fly, we're rolling out. Conditions, who cares? We were hunting for IEDs with a few feet of snow on the ground.

Shank was one of my responsibilites and I went there a few times to administer our contracts. The last time I was there. They had a VBIED (in a dump truck) blew a hole in the perimeter. Destroyed every wooden structure and tent within about 1/4 mile. Amazingly there were zero fatalites of US Service members. Rumor was a couple local died. Amazing what those VBIED and IED can do.

You deserve the BRONZE BALLS Award that is for sure. Searching for IEDs in the Snow. That takes some serious balls. Appreciate the service, my friend.

#39 The Golden Child

The Golden Child

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

Love Smitty

#40 vorbis

vorbis

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

i would never begrudge someone like steve smith attaining some life-altering perspective visiting soldiers abroad, politics be damned. that is how you grow as a person.

#41 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,004 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

the only way Smitty or any of us could get a true appreciation for what the troops do is to do just exactly what he did. go VISIT them.
otherwise, from the safe confines of our home or pc, we can easily say what should have been done.

SS focus was correct. it was on the SOLDIERS.

right or wrong, the US is still the straw that stirs the drink.

#42 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,499 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

I was in the persian gulf (Saudi Arabia and Bahrain) during the 1994/1995 timeframe. There was no combat going on then, but I do remember the weather. 130 degrees during the day. It didn't get so cold at night in Bahrain, but I remember it started raining last week in jan, and didn't stop until march. And then it didn't rain again for a year. I remember sandstorms tearing up gear, and stinging like hell. I was so glad to get back in the States.

#43 Guest_FredLane4Ever_*

Guest_FredLane4Ever_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

Somebody didn't do so hot on the ASVAB.

Try 138 with a $160,000 bas in accounting/auditing. Some of the smartest guys in the military are real soldiers. Your just mad because you know your a joke that lies to his family/spouse about their "combat" tours.

#44 Guest_FredLane4Ever_*

Guest_FredLane4Ever_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

That's gt. It was like a 99.

#45 Jai.

Jai.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

Shank was one of my responsibilites and I went there a few times to administer our contracts. The last time I was there. They had a VBIED (in a dump truck) blew a hole in the perimeter. Destroyed every wooden structure and tent within about 1/4 mile. Amazingly there were zero fatalites of US Service members. Rumor was a couple local died. Amazing what those VBIED and IED can do.

You deserve the BRONZE BALLS Award that is for sure. Searching for IEDs in the Snow. That takes some serious balls. Appreciate the service, my friend.

Thanks much, man. I enjoyed my time in and would do it 200 times again if need be. VBIED's are horrible, they can pack so much more explosives that way, and then of course, the vehicle turns to shrapnel, so yea, definitely a weapon that they like to use when they have the chance. Glad you made it back from the sand box as well. Takes a very strong person to go there, military, civilian, contractor, in whatever entity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com