Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ron Rivera reportedly says the Panthers are "open to trading D. Will"

134 posts in this topic

Posted

the only team I could see going after him is the Packers.....they need another playmaker now that they lost Jennings, and would likely cut him after a year. Also they have expressed interest before. Highly doubt we could get anything higher than a 4th for him if anything at all, no one is going to go into a bidding war over Deangelo

man am I going to miss him though

Williams is essentially 1 yr rental for a win now team...

5th or 6th rounder IMO

Posted

the only team I could see going after him is the Packers.....they need another playmaker now that they lost Jennings, and would likely cut him after a year. Also they have expressed interest before. Highly doubt we could get anything higher than a 4th for him if anything at all, no one is going to go into a bidding war over Deangelo

man am I going to miss him though

Williams is essentially 1 yr rental for a win now team...

5th or 6th rounder IMO

Posted

If the Packers wouldn't sign Steven Jackson I see no way they take on Deangelo's contract plus give up a pick.

Ding ding ding. The reality of the Packers is that a running back exists only to change the tempo of the game and to block or check down for rodgers.

They give 0 fugs about how talented their back is, they wouldn't pound the rock if they had AP back there.

Posted

I am not sure it would help the cap---I am so confused about it----but we have to pay his guaranteed money if we trade him?

However, this is a mute point. His best chance to be dealt was mid season last year before the trade deadline when good teams on playoff runs had needs. If DW is dealt, it will be after the draft--but i do not see it at all.

Posted

Yesterday I read a report that he was deferring all question about Deangelo to Gettleman.

Posted

I am not sure it would help the cap---I am so confused about it----but we have to pay his guaranteed money if we trade him?

However, this is a mute point. His best chance to be dealt was mid season last year before the trade deadline when good teams on playoff runs had needs. If DW is dealt, it will be after the draft--but i do not see it at all.

I don't see it either...

But they are holding onto that 2% chance they can....and then after the draft they will begin talking paycut/June 1 cut.

Posted

Of course we're open to trading him for the right compensation in return...

Here's something from PFT (per Gantt) on the cap consequences of trading DeAngelo from back in November:

As Gantt pointed out on Wednesday, the Panthers areprepared to take the cap hit that would result from a trade of running back DeAngelo Williams. It’s important to clarify what the cap hit would be, and when it would apply.

Some (including me) believed as a knee-jerk matter that the remaining allocation of the $16 million signing bonus Williams received in 2011 would hit the cap now. Prior to 2006, that would have been the case — and that’s one of the reasons for a lack of trades of veteran players.

In 2006, the NFL and the NFL Players Association tweaked the labor deal to allow trades made after June 1 to be treated like cuts of players after June 1. In those situations, the team absorbs the acceleration for the current cap year and the balance of the acceleration in the next cap year.

For Williams, the $3.2 million bonus allocation would continue to apply this year. For a post-June 1 trade, the remaining $9.6 million would apply not this year but next year.

The cap charge would be offset by avoiding Williams’ $4.75 million base salary next season, which means that the Panthers would carry a net hit of $4.85 million in 2013, if they trade Williams before the 2012 trade deadline.

And while that’s not a huge amount, keep in mind that the NFL expects the salary cap for 2013 to remain flat. So it’s not as if the dead money will be subsumed within the normal annual increases in the spending limit.

http://profootballta...lliams-cap-hit/

Posted

Lattimore....come out and plaaayyaaay

tumblr_lxrd5i4ZEP1qie0rc.gif

this.

or draft patterson or austin and get a WR/scatback/return guy all in one and roll with the RB corps we have here.

Posted

Just checked this guys twitter feed and talk about stretching the truth... He basically took the tweet from Person where Rivera deferred any questions about trading D-Will to Gettleman and ran with it from there.

He later uses a quote from Jeff Fisher saying they are looking for a "big back" to replace Steven Jackson and to "look for the Rams to go after Williams after he is released".

Basically this guy is taking a little bit of info and throwing poo against the wall in hopes that it sticks.

2 people like this

Posted

I feel like that reporter took what Rivera out of context considering it was reported earlier that he deferred questions about Williams' status with the team.

Posted

Get a 4th for him and I'd nut. I'm thinking a 5th would probably be the price though.

Posted

Just checked this guys twitter feed and talk about stretching the truth... He basically took the tweet from Person where Rivera deferred any questions about trading D-Will to Gettleman and ran with it from there.

He later uses a quote from Jeff Fisher saying they are looking for a "big back" to replace Steven Jackson and to "look for the Rams to go after Williams after he is released".

Basically this guy is taking a little bit of info and throwing poo against the wall in hopes that it sticks.

I thought the same thing... took things out of context/stretched the truth.