Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ron Rivera reportedly says the Panthers are "open to trading D. Will"

134 posts in this topic

Posted

So what would we get in return besides some cap space down the road... a 5th round pick?

No thanks, I would only do this trade if it involved a player that could help us now at a position of need.

2 people like this

Posted

Whatever helps the future

Posted

you know who chud has already, no

You mean, Trent Richardson? Last I heard he was a pretty good RB.

Posted

So what would we get in return besides some cap space down the road... a 5th round pick?

I believe we'd actually lose cap space in a trade...at least in the interim. It would be nice to acquire a 4th or 5th for him this year and perhaps use it on a replacement (Lattimore or otherwise), but unless we wait and trade him after June 1 the cap hit would be worse than just keeping him on the roster.

Posted

Would that escalate to like a $9 mil hit for us this year?

9.6 unless he can be a june 1st which would be 4.8 and that would i believe save us about $3.5 mil and that is if i am understanding june 1st cuts correctly and/or trades can be used as a june 1st whatever it would be called

Posted

9.6 unless he can be a june 1st which would be 4.8 and that would i believe save us about $3.5 mil and that is if i am understanding june 1st cuts correctly and/or trades can be used as a june 1st whatever it would be called

It would be a hit of $9.6m if he's cut or traded before June 1; which would cost us $1.4m in cap space since his cap hit this year is $8.2m.

I'm still learning the NFL cap system, but if he's cut/traded after June 1 then wouldn't we take a hit of $3.2m (this year's portion of his signing bonus), while we'd take the remaining hit ($6.4m) next season? I could be missing some variables though, but that's how I understand it. Assuming my numbers are right - not a given - that would save us $5m this year and $2.8m next year. But again, only if he's moved June or later.

Posted

It's going to be a 9.6 million dollar hit whether we trade him or keep him. Even if we do either as "post June 1st," I am not in favor of carrying over dead money into the future. If we do it as an immediate hit then we lose 1.4 in cap space(his current hit is 8.2 million).

So basically no reason to move him this year.Its has been discussed ad nauseam on here but poster's refuse to acknowledge it for some damn reason.

And while I'm at it here one more inconvenient truth for the majority of the Huddle. Cutting Clausen only saves 55k this year, unless of course done as a June 1st cut and carrying over dead money into 2014.

Posted

So basically no reason to move him this year.

Whether you're in favor of it or not (honestly I'm not sure where I stand on it), a June 1 cut/trade is a viable option. It creates space this and next year, and I like many others think we can replace DWill's production at a fraction of the cost. We probably won't find someone as talented, but for as little as we use Williams...

Posted

Joe Person@josephperson1h

Would trash it this year. But provide a lot of space in future yrs. RT @vancespn: @josephperson how would trading D. Will affect the cap?

Posted

If we did a sign and trade, we could try to restructure some of that bonus into his salary quite possibly? maybe?

Posted

No thanks, I would only do this trade if it involved a player that could help us now at a position of need.

I agree. Considering how plug and play the RB position is now and what players are going for in trades, a 5th rounder would be pretty damn kind for an aging back with that contract.

Posted

It's going to be a 9.6 million dollar hit whether we trade him or keep him. Even if we do either as "post June 1st," I am not in favor of carrying over dead money into the future. If we do it as an immediate hit then we lose 1.4 in cap space(his current hit is 8.2 million).

So basically no reason to move him this year.Its has been discussed ad nauseam on here but poster's refuse to acknowledge it for some damn reason.

And while I'm at it here one more inconvenient truth for the majority of the Huddle. Cutting Clausen only saves 55k this year, unless of course done as a June 1st cut and carrying over dead money into 2014.

he is counting towards $8.2 this year, but I agree, there isn't much point in moving him until next season unless someone offers us something for him, which i highly doubt would happen. i'm not exactly sure how the june 1st cuts divvy up the dead money whether it is split in half or whatever, i kinda hate the biness side of futbol.