• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,945 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

Although I'm not basing it off much, I think being here so long has made Gross content with a culture of losing. He's going to take his payday, even if it costs us some players and wins.

Reed is signed, Woodson is old and I think he's looking for 5+ million a year and is not worth that. Huff I'm very interested in if he comes cheap. I am somewhat excited about Mitchell though, and I think he has a chance to do something here. On his one year contract though, I'm worried he'll break out like Marlon McCree did and be gone after a year.

Agreed about Gross, which is why I didn't mind letting him go and giving Campbell or a draftee the chance to step in there. If you heard his postgame interviews after we lost, most of the time at the last minute, he seemed completely unaffected. I'm not saying he should be a spewing spout of emotion after losing, that can work against a team leader as well, but he seemed okay with it, and that always bothered me. Not that it is his fault, but it was like he was used to it so it was par for the course. That just never sat well with me, as I think it's kind of what we were dealing with at the end of the Seifert era, which is why we cleaned house. Good players can fall into that "just take it day to day" trap.

As far as safety options, I'm excited about Mitchell's potential, but his coverage advanced stats aren't impressive and are a concern. Regardless, with what we had back there outside of Godfrey and Campbell last year, we need to add talent and depth to compete for the starting spot and at the very least, push the starter week in and week out.

That being said, the market dictates a player's value, and Woodson is NOT going to get 5 mil, so it's very likely he will end up getting offered either a 1 year deal at somewhere around 2-3 mil, just my guess. So, if Gross was cut or restructured, it's very likely that we could make him an offer. Huff should go for slightly below that I'm guessing.

I'd be ecstatic with either.

#17 SmashNDash

SmashNDash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

Agreed about Gross, which is why I didn't mind letting him go and giving Campbell or a draftee the chance to step in there. If you heard his postgame interviews after we lost, most of the time at the last minute, he seemed completely unaffected. I'm not saying he should be a spewing spout of emotion after losing, that can work against a team leader as well, but he seemed okay with it, and that always bothered me. Not that it is his fault, but it was like he was used to it so it was par for the course. That just never sat well with me, as I think it's kind of what we were dealing with at the end of the Seifert era, which is why we cleaned house. Good players can fall into that "just take it day to day" trap.

As far as safety options, I'm excited about Mitchell's potential, but his coverage advanced stats aren't impressive and are a concern. Regardless, with what we had back there outside of Godfrey and Campbell last year, we need to add talent and depth to compete for the starting spot and at the very least, push the starter week in and week out.

That being said, the market dictates a player's value, and Woodson is NOT going to get 5 mil, so it's very likely he will end up getting offered either a 1 year deal at somewhere around 2-3 mil, just my guess. So, if Gross was cut or restructured, it's very likely that we could make him an offer. Huff should go for slightly below that I'm guessing.

I'd be ecstatic with either.

Yeah exactly what I was thinking. I really felt like Fox's personality and way of going about things rubbed off on Gross, and he's never seemed passionate at all about losing or even winning for that matter. I want that savage, killer instinct on the offensive line, blockers that just want to maul their opponents. At this point, I feel like he's just going through the motions and trying to rely on his expierence/above average ability to get by. Thus you see what happened last season, where he got put on skates a few times due to his skills eroding with age.

#18 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

Yeah exactly what I was thinking. I really felt like Fox's personality and way of going about things rubbed off on Gross, and he's never seemed passionate at all about losing or even winning for that matter.

You mean that guy who brought us to the Super Bowl and an NFC Championship? Yeah, that was horrible.

I don't know why Gross gets so much flack.He has played at a high level for a long time. While I love Beason too, if anyone should take a pay cut it's him. He's barely seen the field since his contract extension.

#19 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

Now that Charles Woodson is being snubbed by every team including us, would it be smart of the Panthers to attempt an offer? He definitely wouldnt hurt our secondary. Honestly I would just like to buy a Woodson Panthers jersey

#20 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,191 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

Woodson would sadly, instantly be the best *corner* on the roster if signed.

#21 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Woodson would sadly, instantly be the best *corner* on the roster if signed.

I agree, so even more of a reason to take a stab at him right?(not in the Ray Lewis way)

#22 Jakob

Jakob

never conquered rarely came

• Stop Making Threads...
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

Charles Woodson? wasn't he taken in the same draft class as Jim Thorpe?

#23 SgtJoo

SgtJoo

Reppin that Bull City

• HUDDLER
  • 3,771 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

Kerry Rhodes anyone?

#24 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

Charles Woodson? wasn't he taken in the same draft class as Jim Thorpe?

Why is Jim available?

#25 Jakob

Jakob

never conquered rarely came

• Stop Making Threads...
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

Why is Jim available?

Yeah, he could use the money. he is living in a real hole in the ground ya know..

Posted Image

#26 DeeJay

DeeJay

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • LocationHell Paso Texas

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

Now that Charles Woodson is being snubbed by every team including us, would it be smart of the Panthers to attempt an offer? He definitely wouldnt hurt our secondary. Honestly I would just like to buy a Woodson Panthers jersey

Maybe a 1 year deal with limited play's the dude is pretty up there.

#27 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,172 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

Yeah, he could use the money. he is living in a real hole in the ground ya know..

Posted Image

Sadly, still the best corner on the team...

#28 Gallagher

Gallagher

Never Doubt Davis

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

Man, I wish we could just undo the contracts we gave to Mitchell and Moore, and pick up Woodson on a 1 year, 3 mil deal.

#29 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,259 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

I would sign Woodson as a 1 year stop-gap as long as his price was reasonable.

#30 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

hell yeah sign him for one year, damn keep around in the 2nd year to groom someone too if needs be, daym

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com