• Please log in to reply
932 replies to this topic

#496 Rhys

Rhys

Not Rhys Lloyd

• ALL-PRO
  • 926 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

I know there has been complaining about the officiating throughout the tournament. College basketball in general has been getting worse and worse with inconsistent officiating.

I hate to admit it but, I commiserate with UNC fans about Kansas...

I remember last year's Sweet 16 game NC State played against Kansas. Jeff Withey had 10 BLOCKS and 2 FOULS; he hacked us inside all game long and they never blew the whistle. I hate that guy.

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=320832305

#497 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

I know there has been complaining about the officiating throughout the tournament. College basketball in general has been getting worse and worse with inconsistent officiating.

I remember last year's Sweet 16 game NC State played against Kansas. Jeff Withey had 10 BLOCKS and 2 FOULS; he hacked us inside all game long and they never blew the whistle. I hate that guy.

By that logic,how about all those games where Zeller and Henson would have 3 or 4 blocks each and only 2 or 3 fouls between them. The whole point is if you are really watching the games, about 99% of the time there are bad calls both ways. When the point is brought up about ref's being the reason you lost the game, that is like saying the refs favored the other team. I think most people would agree the refs have been consistently bad, no matter who the team is.

#498 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

Plus Withey only fouled out of 1 game this year and he averaged 4 blocks per game and 2 fouls per game so maybe the guy is just good defensively.

#499 bigdog10

bigdog10

• HUDDLER
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

Blaming the officiating is a little short sighted in my opinion.

I think the evolution of the offensive game, speed, and athleticism by these players coupled with the fact that many of these coaches don't teach proper defense are the reasons so many fouls are called.

Most of these coaches are just sales guys (recruiters) now. The true teaching of the game and how to play good defense is being erased on a yearly basis.

#500 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,195 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

Iowa St. has a legit gripe with that charge call as well.

Forgot about that one, officiating in general has been terrible during the tourney....

#501 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

By that logic,how about all those games where Zeller and Henson would have 3 or 4 blocks each and only 2 or 3 fouls between them. The whole point is if you are really watching the games, about 99% of the time there are bad calls both ways. When the point is brought up about ref's being the reason you lost the game, that is like saying the refs favored the other team. I think most people would agree the refs have been consistently bad, no matter who the team is.

Just because there are bad calls each way doesnt mean that everything is even. I realize this is hard for you to understand as a Duke fan, but sometimes teams get screwed by the refs. poo happens, you move on

I agree that people complaining about the refs can get obnoxious, but I find your snarky replies whenever someone calls out shitty officiating quite obnoxious; it is what it is

#502 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

Just because there are bad calls each way doesnt mean that everything is even. I realize this is hard for you to understand as a Duke fan, but sometimes teams get screwed by the refs. poo happens, you move on

I agree that people complaining about the refs can get obnoxious, but I find your snarky replies whenever someone calls out shitty officiating quite obnoxious; it is what it is

I just don't understand all the complaining about the calls, unc fans included. There were multiple unc fans complaining about calls during the game, you guys need to man up. How about you ask other ACC schools and fans of those schools if unc gets shafted on calls. Yes there are bad calls in every game, it's going to happen you just deal with it. I don't think I've seen any Duke fans on here complain about officiating and want to blame loses on it. I thought the Duke vs. UVA game was terribly officiated and one of the worst I had seen in a while but I didn't get on here and complain or blame Duke losing on it. Sometimes you get the calls, Duke and unc more often, but sometimes you don't and I find it comical when any unc fan complains about officiating or blames a loss on the refs.

#503 beckersteen

beckersteen

Nihilum

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationConcord

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

Well this week end two games were potentially altered by poor officiating. In that sense its ok the complain. I hate it when they let guys pound each other under the rim, but then call a hand check across the court away from the ball. It need to be consistent. If they call it tight then stay tight.

#504 Rhys

Rhys

Not Rhys Lloyd

• ALL-PRO
  • 926 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

I just don't understand all the complaining about the calls, unc fans included. There were multiple unc fans complaining about calls during the game, you guys need to man up. How about you ask other ACC schools and fans of those schools if unc gets shafted on calls. Yes there are bad calls in every game, it's going to happen you just deal with it. I don't think I've seen any Duke fans on here complain about officiating and want to blame loses on it. I thought the Duke vs. UVA game was terribly officiated and one of the worst I had seen in a while but I didn't get on here and complain or blame Duke losing on it. Sometimes you get the calls, Duke and unc more often, but sometimes you don't and I find it comical when any unc fan complains about officiating or blames a loss on the refs.

Did you watch the State/Temple game? If you didn't watch the game then don't give me this auto-response about how complaining about officiating is cheap.

I wouldn't blame the loss on officiating, but at the end of a game when a team is within 1 or 2 possessions and there are a string of awful calls you cannot say that it didn't affect the outcome.

#505 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

Well this week end two games were potentially altered by poor officiating. In that sense its ok the complain. I hate it when they let guys pound each other under the rim, but then call a hand check across the court away from the ball. It need to be consistent. If they call it tight then stay tight.

But this happens all the time it's just magnified because of the stage that it's on. I agree that it sucks when the refs make a bad call but they are human and the block/charge call is one of the hardest calls to make and it's easy for us to complain about it when we get to see the play over and over again and in slow motion. The other call is just the NCAA not having the right rule in place, why could you not go to the monitor and look at who the ball was out on? The NBA does it and hell the refs go to the monitor for everything else.

#506 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

Duke fan's have seemed to grasp the impact of human error and although I am sure there are plenty of calls that we disagree with, we don't run to the boards to cry about it. UNC fan's can never just flat out say, our team lost, we go outplayed, we had a terrible game, there always has to be some qualifier saying "We played bad, BUT we also couldn't get any calls.."

#507 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

Did you watch the State/Temple game? If you didn't watch the game then don't give me this auto-response about how complaining about officiating is cheap.

I wouldn't blame the loss on officiating, but at the end of a game when a team is within 1 or 2 possessions and there are a string of awful calls you cannot say that it didn't affect the outcome.

I did watch the game and I agree there were some bad calls but the reason Nc State lost was Purvis and Warren didn't show up. Look at Kelly, Plumlee, and Hairston all played in foul trouble last night and some of the calls against Mason and Kelly were cheap but you have to play through it, other people have to step up.

#508 beckersteen

beckersteen

Nihilum

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationConcord

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

Duke fan's have seemed to grasp the impact of human error and although I am sure there are plenty of calls that we disagree with, we don't run to the boards to cry about it. UNC fan's can never just flat out say, our team lost, we go outplayed, we had a terrible game, there always has to be some qualifier saying "We played bad, BUT we also couldn't get any calls.."

Yesterday we lost, we got outplayed, and we had a terrible game. I'm more humble than most though..

#509 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

Yesterday we lost, we got outplayed, and we had a terrible game. I'm more humble than most though..

Unc is who they are and did exactly what they did in the regular season in the tourney, they won the game they should and lost the game they should. That was unc's M.O. all year. It was too hard for that "small" lineup to work against that front line KU has but they hung tough for a half.

#510 beckersteen

beckersteen

Nihilum

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationConcord

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

Unc is who they are and did exactly what they did in the regular season in the tourney, they won the game they should and lost the game they should. That was unc's M.O. all year. It was too hard for that "small" lineup to work against that front line KU has but they hung tough for a half.

In the first half the only thing they did well was defend. They're shooting was god awful. If they could have even had a average shooting night they would have been up more than 20 at half time. Ifs don't win the game though and I'm sure Kansas wouldn't have played that bad in a half again.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MARCH MADNESS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com