384 replies to this topic

#331 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:10 AM

Seriously think it's the other way around for #3. Edwards, Pilares, Gettis and Bryant need to beat out Ginn for #3. Other than the obvious fact that he's accomplished more as an NFL WR than anyone on the team not named Steve Smith, he was a top 10 draft pick for a reason. He can make big plays when given a chance.

LaFell has accomplished far more than Ginn has. I like the pick up, but lets be real. Ginn is a return man. And that's not a bad thing. Its easier to score with shorter field position.

#332 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

I'm not expecting much from Ginn as a WR. But if he can make a few big catches for us that would be huge. He does have raw talent that can be respected by defenses.

#333 Navy_football

Navy_football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

LaFell has accomplished far more than Ginn has. I like the pick up, but lets be real. Ginn is a return man. And that's not a bad thing. Its easier to score with shorter field position.

No, Ginn leads Lafell in every receiving category. Granted he's played twice as long...

#334 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

Seriously think it's the other way around for #3. Edwards, Pilares, Gettis and Bryant need to beat out Ginn for #3. Other than the obvious fact that he's accomplished more as an NFL WR than anyone on the team not named Steve Smith, he was a top 10 draft pick for a reason. He can make big plays when given a chance.

Why was Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Carlos Rogers, Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, David Carr, Reggie Williams, Derrick Harvey, Jamel Reynolds, Vernon Gholston or my favorite Ted Ginn comparison Troy Williamson not given the chance to perform? Draft status really doesn't matter anymore after you been in the league 5+ years. 95% of the time you are who everyone thinks you are. I'd give you the first point. Just don't reasonably expect much more out of him than they are already giving, and Lafell is a better receiver.

Gettis is still my favorite to win if healthy. In 2010, he had a reasonably productive season which was as goods as Smiths given the circumstances. 2011 and half of 2012 he wasn't healthy which are the reasons for his non production, not inability to perform. This isn't a Dwayne Jarrett situation where he needs one more year. He has proven himself, he is cheap and if healthy he should reasonably perform enough to get that spot.

#335 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

No, Ginn leads Lafell in every receiving category. Granted he's played twice as long...

*face palm*

He isn't the better receiver though otherwise why don't we pickup any washed up HOF 50+ receiver because they have better stats than any of our players so that should mean he is better.

#336 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

No I think Bell will be good. I think he suffered from the instability at RG. We put a solid RG beside him and he will be really good. We must remember he was only in his 2nd year and the revolving door beside him effected his play as well.

I agree that RG had an impact on his run blocking and some pass protection schemes. Bell is not a strong RT in run blocking and he is average at best in pass protection. If we had Delhomme back there, he would have been exposed. Keeping Cam contained has slowed the pass rush in the QB's vision (right side). Many teams opted to keep him in the box instead of an all-out, ears bent back, rush. When he was faced with an all-out rush, as in the Denver game, he was abused by athletic pass rushers. He struggled against Seattle some as well.

I am not sold on Bell. I want a stud RT and a stud RG to get the running game going again. I do not want Cam getting hurt because some undrafted RT was cheap. To me, Bell is good depth, but I want an upgrade there.

I wonder if I am the only person who sees it this way. These are my feelings more than facts. Still....

#337 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

Exactly LaFell is further along at the same point in their careers. And a much better WR. As I stated above, I like the pick up and Ginn will have an affect on field position. Which will result in more opportunities to score. Anything else he brings in is gravy on biscuits!

#338 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

I don't get it, Gettleman is improving this team from the bottom up and people still complain?

Gettlemen was put into a bad postion by your favorite GM from last year, so I'm not really going to complain about FA this year. However to say this team has improve top to bottom is as laughable as you defending Hurney last year.

#339 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,066 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

Gettlemen was put into a bad postion by your favorite GM from last year, so I'm not really going to complain about FA this year. However to say this team has improve top to bottom is as laughable as you defending Hurney last year.

Well if it isn't our local pessimist know it all. Hey tell us more about how Luke Kuechly sucks bro.

#340 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

Well if it isn't our local pessimist know it all. Hey tell us more about how Luke Kuechly sucks bro.

Never said he was a bad player. Said he wasn't the right pick bro. Tell me how awesome Hurney is again.

#341 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

Said he couldn't cover Graham too was very adamant about that. I was right.

#342 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,066 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

Never said he was a bad player. Said he wasn't the right pick bro. Tell me how awesome Hurney is again.

Well DROY sounds like the right pick, but hey what do I know. I've literally never said Hurney was awesome.

#343 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

Well DROY sounds like the right pick, but hey what do I know. I've literally never said Hurney was awesome.

Well I guess you win, here is some pie. You never *literally* said Hurney was awesome.

#344 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,066 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

Well I guess you win, here is some pie. You never *literally* said Hurney was awesome.

Just giving you poo dude, we all make mistakes.

#345 Navy_football

Navy_football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Why was Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Carlos Rogers, Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, David Carr, Reggie Williams, Derrick Harvey, Jamel Reynolds, Vernon Gholston or my favorite Ted Ginn comparison Troy Williamson not given the chance to perform? Draft status really doesn't matter anymore after you been in the league 5+ years. 95% of the time you are who everyone thinks you are. I'd give you the first point. Just don't reasonably expect much more out of him than they are already giving, and Lafell is a better receiver.

Gettis is still my favorite to win if healthy. In 2010, he had a reasonably productive season which was as goods as Smiths given the circumstances. 2011 and half of 2012 he wasn't healthy which are the reasons for his non production, not inability to perform. This isn't a Dwayne Jarrett situation where he needs one more year. He has proven himself, he is cheap and if healthy he should reasonably perform enough to get that spot.

I'm also a big fan of Gettis, and hope that he steps in and takes the #1 from Smitty. He has all the tools to do so, even though he was a late round draft pick. Which really wasn't my point about Ginn - other than to show he was highly touted coming out of college.

I really don't have high expectations for Ginn as a WR. I think he's fighting for the #3 position. I just can't understand why it can't even be acknowledged that he brings a dynamic this team hasn't had in some time, possibly since young Steve Smith - game breaking speed at the WR position. You don't have to have high hopes for what he'll accomplish, but as a DC you would take notice if he lines up outside because chances are your CB can't keep up with him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com