Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Keenan Allen to work out with panthers April 9

352 posts in this topic

Posted

normally the guy doing the returns is pretty athletic, and has quick twitch muscles and moves to make guys miss.then being that size and still doing those things speaks on how athletic he is. also remember he was recruited to play S not WRSo that also speaks on how athletic he is.you may be hardley impress, but crabtree has stepped his game big time.

Not as athletic as you make it seem. Receivers like Calvin Johnson, AJ Green and Julio Jones possess 'rare' athleticism but they don't return kickoffs and punts. I'm sorry, but I don't think that qualifies.

Crabtree appears like the identical receiver he was last season. He didn't improve his game significantly. Michael's role as a receiver got bigger. That's all.

Posted

Allen doesn't scream #1 to me. He seems like a solid #2 receiving 'elite' hype from supporters.

Keenan just doesn't impress me in any area as a WR. He runs smooth routes and possesses good hands but I fail to see his *rare* athleticism at work. At best, he's a tad better Crabtree.

If Allen ends up being a better version of Crabtree, then I'd count that as a win for us. Crabtree may not be Megatron, AJ Green, or Julio Jones but I'd say he developed into a #1 WR threat this past season. His numbers have improved every year and his 85 catches, 1105 yards and 9 TDs in 2012 all ranked in the top 15 of the NFL.

You don't need to have 'rare' athleticism to be a productive WR in the NFL but strong route running and hands, which you mentioned as strengths of Allen, go a long way. I'd also add run after the catch as one of his strengths as well.

I'm not saying Allen is gonna set the world on fire with his workout but I think he may surprise some people with his numbers on April 9th, if he's fully healthy. I've been following this kid since HS and he's always stood out as one of the best players on the field at every level thus far in his career.

Posted

If Allen ends up being a better version of Crabtree, then I'd count that as a win for us. Crabtree may not be Megatron, AJ Green, or Julio Jones but I'd say he developed into a #1 WR threat this past season. His numbers have improved every year and his 85 catches, 1105 yards and 9 TDs in 2012 all ranked in the top 15 of the NFL.

You don't need to have 'rare' athleticism to be a productive WR in the NFL but strong route running and hands, which you mentioned as strengths of Allen, go a long way. I'd also add run after the catch as one of his strengths as well.

I'm not saying Allen is gonna set the world on fire with his workout but I think he may surprise some people with his numbers on April 9th, if he's fully healthy. I've been following this kid since HS and he's always stood out as one of the best players on the field at every level thus far in his career.

That's my debate point though. Allen fans inflate his athleticism. While he does have his moments, he's not a freak like Cam or Calvin. There's nothing wrong with that, but the way fans build him up is absurd. Keenan is a solid prospect but he's not the next big thing. I, personally, don't view him as a first round prospect.

That's another topic I wish to discuss -- his YAC stats. That's overblown, in my opinion. Often times, from what I've seen, once Allen gets touched he goes down. There were moments in his highlight reel where DBs grabbed his jersey or scratched his knee and he sped away for huge gains.

Posted

Sign me up for this dude.

Posted

That's my debate point though. Allen fans inflate his athleticism. While he does have his moments, he's not a freak like Cam or Calvin. There's nothing wrong with that, but the way fans build him up is absurd. Keenan is a solid prospect but he's not the next big thing. I, personally, don't view him as a first round prospect.

That's another topic I wish to discuss -- his YAC stats. That's overblown, in my opinion. Often times, from what I've seen, once Allen gets touched he goes down. There were moments in his highlight reel where DBs grabbed his jersey or scratched his knee and he sped away for huge gains.

Allen would benefit from Cam throwing to him

Trust me

And Cam would benefit as well

Posted

If you're looking for the next big thing in terms of a freak athlete that imposes his will on defenders, like a CJ or Julio, then you probably won't like most of the WRs in this draft. That doesn't mean there aren't 1st round quality WRs that will be very productive pros, which I think Allen is and will be. CJ and Julio types are rare.

As for his YAC ability, this is probably one of the strongest, if not the strongest aspect, of his game. In Cal's offense, Allen ran mostly short and intermediate routes, a lot of screens, drags, digs, slants, etc. so there's no way he would've put up the numbers (almost 1,400 yards in 2011) he did without being good at getting YAC. Is he going to have huge YAC after every catch? No, especially in Cal's offense and w/ the poor QB play they had but he turned a lot of those short catches into first downs, big gains, touchdowns, etc.

I'm assuming that you probably watched the film/highlights from 2012 USC and Ohio State games, which were probably his two worst games in terms of YAC in 2012.

If you haven't already, I'd invite you to watch the 2012 Washington St. game or the 2011 USC, Texas, and Wash. games. There's no way that you watched those games and didn't see his YAC ability on display.

Another aspect of his game that folks tend to overlook is his ability to play all 3 WR spots. Most WRs coming out of college have only played in one spot their entire career. This also adds to his value.

Posted

Allen would benefit from Cam throwing to him

Trust me

And Cam would benefit as well

So would DeAndre Hopkins, Da'Rick Rogers, Justin Hunter and Stedman Bailey. Allen hasn't separated himself from any of these prospects, so why should he be 'the guy'?

I rather draft a WR in the second round.

Posted

If you're looking for the next big thing in terms of a freak athlete that imposes his will on defenders, like a CJ or Julio, then you probably won't like most of the WRs in this draft. That doesn't mean there aren't 1st round quality WRs that will be very productive pros, which I think Allen is and will be. CJ and Julio types are rare.

As for his YAC ability, this is probably one of the strongest, if not the strongest aspect, of his game. In Cal's offense, Allen ran mostly short and intermediate routes, a lot of screens, drags, digs, slants, etc. so there's no way he would've put up the numbers (almost 1,400 yards in 2011) he did without being good at getting YAC. Is he going to have huge YAC after every catch? No, especially in Cal's offense and w/ the poor QB play they had but he turned a lot of those short catches into first downs, big gains, touchdowns, etc.

I'm assuming that you probably watched the film/highlights from 2012 USC and Ohio State games, which were probably his two worst games in terms of YAC in 2012.

If you haven't already, I'd invite you to watch the 2012 Washington St. game or the 2011 USC, Texas, and Wash. games. There's no way that you watched those games and didn't see his YAC ability on display.

Another aspect of his game that folks tend to overlook is his ability to play all 3 WR spots. Most WRs coming out of college have only played in one spot their entire career. This also adds to his value.

I agree to an extent, but Allen isn't a dominant receiver. So why should he be drafted so highly for moderate intangibles? Furthermore, since he's not that type of receiver, why should he get paid like one? For me, if I were considering a wide out, I'd be expecting more. With this draft, there's no clear stud or superstar at the WR position, and yet this draft is stacked with decent talent. When analyzing the Top 5 WRs, there is no considerable gap between #1 and #2. Hell, I'd argue #1 and #5, for that matter.

I watched a handful of Cal games last year and the year before myself. Allen's YAC ability never truly shined in those games. It wasn't until I caught the highlight videos on youtube where I watched Keenan outrun defenders and break tackles. Granted, no WR can be a paramount force every week but I expect a potential first rounder to have more assertive plays than not. Those games I happen to catch on Saturdays made Keenan appear like a possession receiver.

Catch. Tackled. Catch. Tackled. Catch. Tackled.

His versatility is interesting, but that's all at the current moment. I'm more focused on whether or not he can create separation between him and defenders, whether he can surely stretch the field, and if can break tackles and amass a large quantity of YAC at the NFL level.

Posted

I like Allen more then Patterson. If we go WR in the 1st I'd rather it be the safer pick Allen.

Posted

It was a joke bud. Chill down

Thanks for the advice. :)

Posted

I like Allen more then Patterson. If we go WR in the 1st I'd rather it be the safer pick Allen.

Agreed. My preference of realistic WR picks goes as such:

Hunter in the 2nd

Hopkins in the 2nd

Patton in the 2nd

Rogers in the 2nd

Allen or Austin in the 1st (I'm torn between them)

Allen or Austin in the 1st

Patterson in the 1st

Someone else after our first two picks

Posted

I view Keenan Allen as a Hakeem Nicks type WR. UNC fan here and Nicks was darn good. Good enough to warrant a 14th pick?

Good hands, makes plays, but doesnt have elite straight line speed.

One thing that worries me about Allen is how much he worked out of the slot.