#31 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,750 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

He wants players but is trying to not fug our future caps.

#32 Who Said What?

Who Said What?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationEverybody knows Carolina's my home

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

I think we should look at it as smart. It is not a lame-duck season either. Rivera is making strides. Everyone is salivating over 49ers, but they were bad for years and when they have to pay all of that talent in the next few years they will have to make some tough decisions.

#33 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

_Is it 1996 Yet?_

• HUDDLER
  • 17,075 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

How should we perceive these 1 year deals?

What we dont fix in the draft this year, next year we will.
1 year deals fit perfectly into this model.

#34 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

Gettleman said in an interview right after he took the panthers job that he prefers one year deals for free agents. This way you don't overpay and get to see how a player works. Plus, and Gettleman didn't say this but we all know players work the hardest in contract years.

#35 panfanman

panfanman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

the host on Sirius NFL Blitz said several factors have made the 1 yr contract the norm. As a result of the lockout the next 2 years will see an unusual number of young, cheap highly talented number of players enter FAgency. Plus the cap is forecast to be extremely flat. Teams that are spending bucket loads on large long contracts this year are going to be screwed in 2014 and 2015 when the 1st and 2nd set of the 2011 salary capped rookies come available.
You can bet most teams, ours included, will be almost unrecognizable come the 2015 for all the player movement. For us, In 2015, don't be surprised if the only players on our current roster are from the 2012 draft class on.
Yes, I'm saying Cam could be bye bye by then. I hate it too but it could happen because of the current trend.

#36 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,960 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

Yes, I'm saying Cam could be bye bye by then. I hate it too but it could happen because of the current trend.

No fuging way Cam leaves. I actually think Cam would pull an Eli or Brady and take a pay cut or structure his deal so that it isn't such a burden to the team. The guy wants to win more than anything. Remember when we signed him to his Rookie deal. He signed immediately saying this was more money than he could possibly imagine to play the game he loves the most.

I'm being serious, I see Cam helping us out when his extension/new contract comes to fruition.

#37 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,935 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

1-year deals to keep us competitive while he fixes the cap.

That's definitely part of it. There's a more optimistic rationale under the surface, though.

If you manage to get a combo of one year players, draft picks and returning guys that actually manages to win enough games that people start thinking "we might be on the verge of something here" then you can create an atmosphere where the one year guys say "why not one more year?"

At the same time, next years free agents see a team on the rise and think "add me to that mix and we're going somewhere". Your own free agents think "why leave when things are just getting good with this team?" And to all that, throw in that having needs filled allows you the freedom to draft guys that can make the team even better rather than scrambling to fill needs.

But what if the one year guys don't come back? No big deal. Their departure does no damage to your cap and so you're free to sign other one year guys the next season.

As contradictory as it may sound, these one year deals actually help us build for the future.

It's all about building a winner, one step at a time.

#38 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,554 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

who have we signed that has done enough in the league to deserve more?

Mitchell backup safety in Oakland

Ginn a kr/pr and like the 4th or 5th receiving option last year in SF

DJ Moore, a nickel back that slid down to a dime back midway thru last season

Florence an old vet who has bounced around the league and is not considered a 1 or 2 option on any competent team

#39 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,526 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

the host on Sirius NFL Blitz said several factors have made the 1 yr contract the norm. As a result of the lockout the next 2 years will see an unusual number of young, cheap highly talented number of players enter FAgency. Plus the cap is forecast to be extremely flat. Teams that are spending bucket loads on large long contracts this year are going to be screwed in 2014 and 2015 when the 1st and 2nd set of the 2011 salary capped rookies come available.
You can bet most teams, ours included, will be almost unrecognizable come the 2015 for all the player movement. For us, In 2015, don't be surprised if the only players on our current roster are from the 2012 draft class on.

Misuse the cap and she will bite your azz. Use her properly, and she will aid your growth.

By the time Cam is ready to extend, Gettlemen will have us out from under all this Hurney magic. We should have plenty of money to sign both Hardy, if he is reasonable. and Cam.

Sure we are cash scrapped at he moment. However, next year most of these big contracts become voidable. We could save upwards of 10M cutting Beast, Gross, and DWill next year. We can replace them all with half of that.

The upside to one year deals is it allows you the flexibility to pick and choose who you pay, and how much you pay. The salary cap is a tool that if used wisely, helps you tremendously.

Gettlemen knows talent. He knows what that talent is worth. The cap means nothing to him. Precisely because he knows a players true value, and will not over pay.

The salary is doing exactly what it was designed to do. So it will come down to how well your GM is at playing the game. IMO, we have a GM that knows the game as well as anyone. We should be in good shape going forward.

Just a thought. And GOOOOO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#40 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,526 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

That's definitely part of it. There's a more optimistic rationale under the surface, though.

If you manage to get a combo of one year players, draft picks and returning guys that actually manages to win enough games that people start thinking "we might be on the verge of something here" then you can create an atmosphere where the one year guys say "why not one more year?"

At the same time, next years free agents see a team on the rise and think "add me to that mix and we're going somewhere". Your own free agents think "why leave when things are just getting good with this team?" And to all that, throw in that having needs filled allows you the freedom to draft guys that can make the team even better rather than scrambling to fill needs.

But what if the one year guys don't come back? No big deal. Their departure does no damage to your cap and so you're free to sign other one year guys the next season.

As contradictory as it may sound, these one year deals actually help us build for the future.

It's all about building a winner, one step at a time.

Exactly how it is supposed to work. Folks saying wait til the 9ers have to pay all these big FA have not learned the way of the new NFL.

It is those cheap 15 draft picks that will carry them through. By the time these big contracts can be voided, you have his replacement ready and willing to go. Adds leverage for the team as the player knows he can be replaced. You can offer him a fair deal and let the chips fall.

The salary cap. Coupled with the rookie cap. Have given smart teams the resources to compete. Once the last of these big rookies deals ends. Smart teams should be in full "next man up" mode.

The most important guys in the NFL now... College Scouting and Evaluating guys. Teams have to trust these guys. The draft is just that important. You need to add talented and athletic players every year.

You only get a guy for his first four years. Once that contract is up. You have to decide what to do with him. Is he worth keeping? Can we keep him? Should we keep him? Can we replace him?

I just happen to believe that Gettlemen is the perfect guy for us. He can tell the player what he is worth, and the player knows where he stands.

The best part? Gettlemen doesn't have to start from scratch. We already have a pretty good team. If he can upgrade just a little, we are going to be better. And that thought makes my giddy just a little bit happier.

#41 Whitaker 24

Whitaker 24

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

How much dead money do we still have on the books and which players is it for?

#42 SauceBoss

SauceBoss

IT IS WHAT IT IS

• HUDDLER
  • 2,294 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

When have you ever been right about anything?

The signing of Dwan

#43 SauceBoss

SauceBoss

IT IS WHAT IT IS

• HUDDLER
  • 2,294 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

When have you ever been right about anything?

Just like i'll put my mortgage on not taking Tavon Austin or let alone any receiver at 14.

#44 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,541 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:06 PM

The signing of Dwan

That will not make up for your laundry list of fails.

Just like i'll put my mortgage on not taking Tavon Austin or let alone any receiver at 14.

Please just stop. Of all the arm chair GM's here you have to be the absolute worst.

Oh and congratulations on the weight loss Cory.

#45 jdpanther5

jdpanther5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • LocationBurlington

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

Not sure if it was discussed or not, but another benefit of the 1-year, veteran minimum deals is the Veteran Minimum Salary Benefit.

http://www.spotrac.c...nthers/cap-hit/

If you note the recent 1-year deals given out (Florence, Senn, etc.), they actually have a negative "Other Bonus" and bring the cap number down. This "benefit" was put in place to create an incentive to keep vets in the league by making them more attractive to teams looking for players on a short-term basis (since players with less experience have a smaller minimum salary and thus, a smaller cap hit).

Basically, if a player has at least 4 years of experience and signs a 1-year, vet. minimum deal, his cap hit falls to the minimum for a 2nd year player (which this year is $555,000) plus any signing bonuses. So far we've signed at least 5 guys to these types of deals (Florence, Senn, Anderson, Cole, Hartsock), and they have a TOTAL cap hit of just under $3 million. Their total salaries equal about $4.4 million, but thanks to the "benefit" of these types of deals we save $1.4 million in cap space.

So let's look at our other 5 recent signings (Captain, Dwan, Moore, Mitchell, Ginn). Now, I haven't seen their contract terms, so the following is purely speculation. But if we signed them to 1 year, vet. min. deals we can estimate their cap hits (aside from any signing bonuses). Cap, Moore, Mitchell, and Ginn all fall into the 4-6 years of experience window, so the vet. minimum for them would be the same as it is for Senn: $715,000. But again, that amount would be cut to $550,000 for cap purposes, a total savings of $660,000. Being a nine-year vet., Dwan's minimum contract would be $840,000, but it would also be cut down to $550,000, a savings of $290,000. So we'd save another $950,000 between those five.

So in summary: the Veteran Minimum Salary Benefit, if applied to all 10 of these recent signings, would save us $2,350,000 in cap space. We can add signing bonuses and still get the benefit, but if their base salary is $1 over the veteran minimum for each players' experience level, then we get no cap benefit.

tl/dr...
1. We've been signing guys to contracts with cap hits less than the players get paid.
2. In total, we've saved $1.4 million in cap space, potentially as much as $2.35 million depending on the other recent signings.
3. #Gettlemagic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com