• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TruthVsComfort

TruthVsComfort

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

"...our leaders have concluded, all facts to the contrary, that the only thing wrong with North Carolina is that those at the bottom have too much and those at the top don’t have enough.

We decided to reject a Medicaid expansion that would benefit us more than virtually any other state – shoving us to the right of even the pernicious Rick Scott of Florida. Over 500,000 needy citizens are now effectively ejected from the health care system, though the feds were ready to foot almost the entire bill.

We cut unemployment insurance dramatically in a way that will forfeit federal funds appropriated as part of the fiscal cliff negotiations – brushing aside money, once again, already on the table. A bumbling committee chairwoman explained she’d been working on the changes for weeks and didn’t want to go back and re-do things to get the federal dollars. Too much trouble. After all, it’s just food and sustenance and housing for 170,000 immensely distressed human beings. Whoever cares?

We’re moving to end the state’s exceedingly modest earned income tax credit. This reflects the inspiring premise that the only taxes eligible for increase are those of working families making about $35,000 a year. About 900,000 low-income Tar Heels will be made to pay a larger portion of their wages so that 120 or so immensely wealthy families can be excused from paying an estate tax.

Yet another proposal speeds forward to dramatically cut, or eliminate, the state income tax and increase the sales tax on food and other essentials. This is necessary, reportedly, so that poor people pay can more taxes and rich people less. And we’re re-introducing payday lending, long outlawed here, to help wealthy folks steal more readily from impoverished ones. Government by brigands."

Gene Nichol is Boyd Tinsley Distinguished Professor at the University of North Carolina’s School of Law.

http://www.newsobser...288381481237582

#2 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

I voted for Pat McCrory so I am part of the problem. In only a couple of months I have lost all faith in him unfortunately.

#3 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

We got hoodwinked

#4 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,772 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

3 months in...

and you gave our president a mulligan on 4 years.

#5 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,172 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

umm, you guys do realize he was going to have to make cuts when he walked in the door right?
you do realize being a leader means most time doing what is NOT popular or touchy feely. it looks bad now but when another bad time comes, the state will be in much better shape for it.

im not worried about Pat Mac at all.

#6 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,589 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

Refusing federal money out of some antiquated notion of economics mixed with a healthy dose of ego when your state is flat broke is a little different than "making unpopular cuts."

#7 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 11,232 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:37 AM

I said back in November to vote for Barbara Howe.

#8 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,517 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:08 AM

Tinderbox brigands don't like him means he must be doing a good job.

#9 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:18 AM

umm, you guys do realize he was going to have to make cuts when he walked in the door right?
you do realize being a leader means most time doing what is NOT popular or touchy feely. it looks bad now but when another bad time comes, the state will be in much better shape for it.

im not worried about Pat Mac at all.

Didn't he just give away 100 million dollars to Met Life just so they could move a bunch of employees to NC?

#10 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,382 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

Didn't he just give away 100 million dollars to Met Life just so they could move a bunch of employees to NC?

There is a lot to be critical of with Mccrappy

This however is not one of them

#11 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

There is a lot to be critical of with Mccrappy

This however is not one of them

In a vacuum it isn't that bad of a thing. Bringing 2,600 jobs to NC.

But I have some issues with it for these reasons

1) Usually when these deals are worked out there are some modest strings attached. Usually they make these deals contingent on North Carolinians getting x number of jobs that they are bringing to NC or they have to move to a county that is struggling economically. This deal, as far as I can tell does not have any such strings.

The 2,600 jobs that Met Life is bringing to NC are already filled or already in place. The jobs are being re-located to NC. So in actuality, it isn't creating 2,600 new jobs for NC, it is bringing 2,600 jobs to NC. During the big press conference Met Life could not (would not) say how many of those jobs would actually go to NC residents and how many would be employees relocated from the northeast.

2) Don't tell me we have to block the expansion of Medicare because we don't have the money (although the budget office said it would actually raise revenue by 500 million dollars and create 20,000 new jobs)

Don't tell me that you would like to help the Panthers, but you just don't have the money

Don't tell me you have to have to cut unemployment insurance because we don't have the money

Don't tell me you have to end the earned income tax credit, because we can't afford it

And then turn around and give 100 million dollars to Met Life for jobs that may not actually go to North Carolinians.

The deal by itself doesn't really bother me. Even if the jobs are not filled by mostly NC residents, there is income tax receipts and consumer spending, It only bothers me when they block the expansion of Medicaid, cut unemployment insurance, and end the earned income tax credit, and then doing it.

Plus I guarantee that at some point our government is going to be so "broke" that we are going to "have" to cut taxes on the wealthy.

#12 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

I wonder how much a plate of duck costs in China? Someone ask Bev perdue the next time they see her!

#13 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,975 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

I voted for Pat McCrory so I am part of the problem. In only a couple of months I have lost all faith in him unfortunately.

He is one of the few Republicans I voted for this year. Wish I hadn't.

#14 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,654 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

Ditto.

So very very disappointed.

#15 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,819 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

What did you all expect? He's going to be a rubber stamp for the state RNC in order to keep moving up the party ranks and get a shot at a Presidential nomination.

Don't worry, after all this crap happens he will go back to "I'm a reasonable guy" campaign mode and everyone will forget all this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com