Photo
- - - - -

For those that are all up in arms about Pat McCrory's "cuts" for education.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#16 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

SUPPORTER

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

Our wages are going to be less because our cost of living is less, particularly because of real estate prices and taxes, which is why all the Yankees like me moved down here only to bitch about the crummy schools and infrastructure once we moved.

Even so its disgraceful the way we treat teachers here. My sister, as I've mentioned here before, moved here in the 90s to be closer to my daughter and myself but had to move back to California because there was no way she was going to slave her life away as a dedicated teacher in a system that really didn't give a crap about her performance. She's now a masters degree holder in education and is principal of a school that has thousands of kids, and runs it amid the insane budget cuts going on in California schools right now. She's the most dedicated professional you could imagine, but she had the nerve to think she should be treated like one.

#17 bigjohn

bigjohn

Block and Tackle

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

Yeah it's amazing how teachers and administrators are treated sometimes (and I'm not talking primarily about the kids). Parents, politicians, general public....

Kudos to your sister. We need good administrators. I want no part of that job. I can deal better with kids than I can some of the crazy-ass parents. Wowsers, some of the stories....

#18 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

One of my wife's friends husband is a middle school teacher. They just moved here (Winston Salem) last year from San Francisco. They like it a lot more than SF. The pay is lower, but they are about to buy a house, something they could never have been able to afford in the San Francisco area. Plus the commute is better and she at least thinks the people are friendlier. She is filipina, and he was a military brat, so they had no particular ties to any specific area in the US.

#19 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

SUPPORTER

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

San Fransisco is outrageous, housing wise. It's my favorite city in the world but I've never seriously considered moving there because you can be close to the city and poor, or have a terrible commute and be a little less poor. I am sure the people here are friendlier here in the small city vs big city way at least.

I also hate Long Beach where my sister lives, but she loves it.

#20 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

SUPPORTER

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

I am going o get flamed for this, but you guys do realize that in teaching you get more time off than almost any other job out there, and it's almost impossible to get fired?

#21 Niner National

Niner National

HUDDLER

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

I am going o get flamed for this, but you guys do realize that in teaching you get more time off than almost any other job out there, and it's almost impossible to get fired?

And do you realize that during the school year most teachers that actually care about their jobs put in more hours per day than most people do at work? I think it pretty much balances out.

I couldn't imagine being at work by 7-7:30 and grading papers until 9PM.

I'd be the teacher that makes everything multiple choice taken on a scantron paper. Good thing I decided not to go into teaching I suppose.

#22 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

HUDDLER

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

And do you realize that during the school year most teachers that actually care about their jobs put in more hours per day than most people do at work? I think it pretty much balances out.

I'd be the teacher that makes everything multiple choice taken on a scantron paper. Good thing I decided not to go into teaching I suppose.

This is a good point and exactly correct. My wife has been a teacher for almost 20 years... the good ones bust their ass and are at the school until 5 everyday then work every night at home. The ones that do it for a paycheck leave 5 minutes after the kids do.

Our whole education system is screwed up from top to bottom... too much to type here, but it's a mess. Essentially they don't pay the good teachers enough (or pay enough to attract more and better ones) and they don't have enough accountability (or replacements) to get rid of the bad ones.

#23 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

SUPPORTER

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

Honestly, I doubt that happens in more than 10% of cases.

I agree the pay is terrible, but they know that going in, just like firefighters and cops.

Its all about supply and demand, as long as people are lining up to do those jobs pay will stay low.

#24 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

HUDDLER

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

Honestly, I doubt that happens in more than 10% of cases.

I agree the pay is terrible, but they know that going in, just like firefighters and cops.

Its all about supply and demand, as long as people are lining up to do those jobs pay will stay low.

is that why NC teachers get paid less? just have too many teachers?

30+ pupil class size and a high percentage of failing schools might indicate demand... but if those kids were actually being under-educated the market would do something about it! TOO MANY TEACHERS. That's the problem!

holy shiat fuzz.

#25 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

HUDDLER

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

Teacher pay is an issue, but it's funding in general too... poo, the school my wife was at (until she recently took an admin job with the county) couldn't even afford paper. The teachers, on top of their poo pay, have to buy their own supplies, can't have things in class like fans and fish tanks due to power (ie budget) restrictions and it's always cold on cold days bc they don't turn the heat on until the school opens and the same for AC on hot days...

What a great place to learn!

#26 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

HUDDLER

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

If anything I think too few people are going in to teaching. It changes the focus from trying to select the best teachers to trying to retain the teachers still there

#27 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

HUDDLER

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

This is a good point and exactly correct. My wife has been a teacher for almost 20 years... the good ones bust their ass and are at the school until 5 everyday then work every night at home. The ones that do it for a paycheck leave 5 minutes after the kids do.

Our whole education system is screwed up from top to bottom... too much to type here, but it's a mess. Essentially they don't pay the good teachers enough (or pay enough to attract more and better ones) and they don't have enough accountability (or replacements) to get rid of the bad ones.

It certainly has its flaws, but I am not sure that I would say its that bad. Most kids come out with a good education, as long as they are willing to put forth some effort, ie have parents that will kick their behinds figuratively speaking.

Sometimes I wonder if the problem is that the education level required for teachers is a little to high, especially for the pay. Is it really necessary for all teachers to have a bachelor's degree? Some of the best teachers I ever had (and some of the worst) were in some of the military schools I attended and most of them did not have a four year degree. Perhaps we should start allowing some teachers with associate degrees and some experience to teach specific classes.

#28 bigjohn

bigjohn

Block and Tackle

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

Some good points made here, and again some misconceptions.

Teachers don't expect to get rich-- yeah, we know that isn't going to happen. But again look at the last 12 years. We were 26th or 28th in the nation in pay, and that made it a little easier to attract teachers. It also made it a little easier for some of us to say "Yeah, I can do this for 30 years". Now we are at the bottom of the pay scale and it does make a difference. Not to mention our health insurance (like most everyone else) has taken a hit.

Also, the whole "summers off" thing is a bit of a misconception. Most teachers I work with and know spend their summer doing part time jobs or taking classes to keep their license current. But definitely that's the biggest draw, for sure.

If a student has good support at home (parents that hold them accountable), they are going to get a good education. If they have a great teacher, they are going to get a very good education. If they are in the right situation (school, classes) with the good parents and great teacher in place, they will get a GREAT education.

Hard to get the stars to align these days. When you get super advanced kids in the same class as someone who can barely read, as well as a couple kids that can't speak english and another couple who spent all night getting high.....well, it makes things a little tougher.

Agree we need to get rid of some of the dead weight teachers. 100%