Photo
- - - - -

Further evidence that WR trumps O-Line as a need (PFF edition).

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#46 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

Anyone that attended games last year will tell you two things.

1. Cam didn't have enough time to throw the football.

2. When he did have time there was usually not an open reciever.

It's a double edged sword both work together. I think WR is the bigger issue as the roster sits at this point. Bell and Amini will continue to get better while I don't think Lafell will ever be a #1 target and we need smitty in the slot to extend his career.

As OP so eloquently pointed out, even when our stellar OLine gave Cam more than enough time to find a reciever, Smitty is too old and inept to get open. Just cut him and move on.

Hey, skewing words and making your own opinions IS more fun. Neato!!!

#47 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Also, OP neglected to include this from the article, which helps explain the numbers-

The best place to start is which quarterback has the longest time to throw. Now to explain what ‘time to throw’ is, we record the time from when the ball is snapped to the point where the quarterback has either thrown a pass or can no longer throw a pass (has been sacked or has scrambled past the line of scrimmage).

A lot of times, Cam was pressured immediately, and his ability to scramble and buy time saved him from being sacked. We gave up 36 sacks-how many would that have been if not for Cam running away from the defense?

#48 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,976 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

All is good bud,and I am glad you are able to be civil as well...no way I was gonna extend this thread 15 pages beefing like other members do.

Yes, and I know you did some work here. I appreciate it-especially during the offseason.

#49 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,603 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

some acutally was.

agreed.

everyone wants to find that one reason for something bad happening when its very rarely ever the case. usually its several factors. WRs share in the blame for QB pressures and sacks. any non-narrow minded person who actually watched can see that.

#50 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,603 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

That isn't the WR depth chart....bc all those guys won't be on the team next season

at least 2 of AE, gettis, and pilares will probably be gone next year. none of them will be here after next year barring some miraculous breakout.

#51 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

As OP so eloquently pointed out, even when our stellar OLine gave Cam more than enough time to find a reciever, Smitty is too old and inept to get open. Just cut him and move on.

Hey, skewing words and making your own opinions IS more fun. Neato!!!

Your doing exactly what you accused me of doing. Hypocrite.

#52 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

Also, OP neglected to include this from the article, which helps explain the numbers-

A lot of times, Cam was pressured immediately, and his ability to scramble and buy time saved him from being sacked. We gave up 36 sacks-how many would that have been if not for Cam running away from the defense?

Time to throw stat was the first one I put in bold. If your going to dispute what I said at least read it.

#53 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,549 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

agreed.

everyone wants to find that one reason for something bad happening when its very rarely ever the case. usually its several factors. WRs share in the blame for QB pressures and sacks. any non-narrow minded person who actually watched can see that.

exactly. i remember seeing Cam go thru several reads waiting for someone to come open before getting sacked or pressured as well as OL missing blitzes or just getting beat.

#54 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

some acutally was.

You can say that about a lot of teams.

For example: We sacked Matt Ryan how many times?? And some of those were coverage sacks. And he has White, Jones , and Gonzo as receiving Threats.

#55 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,795 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

LOL if cam gets injured because of a piss poor line AOL because we took a WR and no oline help. I don't want to hear it from the fans later on about the o line being to blame.

#56 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

I would select a linemen over a WR 9 times out of 10, especially considering there are no outstanding WRs this year....but what do I know?

#57 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,795 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

I would select a linemen over a WR 9 times out of 10, especially considering there are no outstanding WRs this year....but what do I know?

The only one remotely close to that is Keenan Allen. Even he's not a consensus #1 or to the level of Jones or green a few years back. Sadly Allen is the one worth the 14 in my opinion.

#58 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

I think you get better value from a 2nd round WR though. But yeah, anybody thinking Panthers should completely ignore the oline position, when you have franchise QB....then I don't know what say.

#59 44johnson

44johnson

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

Oh yes of course, the problem is we are not allowing Armanti more time to run complex routes, got it!

If there was an award for "Post of the day", you would surely win it with this one!

#60 44johnson

44johnson

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

Anyone that attended games last year will tell you two things.

1. Cam didn't have enough time to throw the football.

2. When he did have time there was usually not an open reciever.

It's a double edged sword both work together. I think WR is the bigger issue as the roster sits at this point. Bell and Amini will continue to get better while I don't think Lafell will ever be a #1 target and we need smitty in the slot to extend his career.

This is a really good post and I could not agree more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com