Photo
- - - - -

Further evidence that WR trumps O-Line as a need (PFF edition).

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#61 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,601 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

look at who this team has worked out.lot of top ranked WRs.

#62 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

Considering the top guys on this list are all mobile QBs (rg3, wilson, vick, luck) do you think the numbers are inflated for them because of their ability (or in Cams case, NEED to) avoid defenders in the pocket before throwing, taking off or taking a sack?

Caz if you think of a play like the 3rd and 11 vs ATL (game 2), he was probably in the pocket with that DT on his back for a good 4 seconds before breaking the LOS. Cam does this sort of thing pretty often so I wouldn't be surprised if it inflated his numbers a good bit.

I'd like to see a list showing how long until a defender forces the QB to make a decision, such as having to avoid a sack, taking a sack, having to check down from pressure, etc.

#63 The Golden Child

The Golden Child

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

Very interesting.

#64 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

Your doing exactly what you accused me of doing. Hypocrite.

No poo, McGoo. That's why I said

Hey, skewing words and making your own opinions IS more fun. Neato!!!

Sarcasm is not a river in Egypt.

#65 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

couldn't read all of that. my brain itches

#66 Brandon

Brandon

Everything and Nothing

• HUDDLER
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

The stat that is missing is time until under pressure. Sometimes a QB will hold onto a ball longer to extend the play because they came under pressure early and couldn't safely get the ball off. I'm not sure if that would necessarily be the case but it's the most relevant stat for this sort of argument.

Sure the 2.5 secs until sack argument could be made, but Cam is mobile enough to mitigate that early rush and buy some time before he gets taken down.

#67 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,959 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:08 AM

The OL does need to be improved...providing better protection and a more potent running game (another great friend to a young QB,

However, we also need a dynamic playmaker in the passing game....but I could see that either bring a speedy WR or even a top TE target (2nd round for TE mind you).

Combination if OL and WR in the first two rounds is my hope...in which order depends on who us there at 14 and how our staff feels about the top guys.

Bottom line is that we can't go wrong with either.

I know we do need an infusion at DT, but their bust rate and length of time to really make an impact makes me nervous. Although I would not be upset if we took a top DT at 14 either.

#68 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,833 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:20 AM

The OL does need to be improved...providing better protection and a more potent running game (another great friend to a young QB,

However, we also need a dynamic playmaker in the passing game....but I could see that either bring a speedy WR or even a top TE target (2nd round for TE mind you).

Combination if OL and WR in the first two rounds is my hope...in which order depends on who us there at 14 and how our staff feels about the top guys.

Bottom line is that we can't go wrong with either.

I know we do need an infusion at DT, but their bust rate and length of time to really make an impact makes me nervous. Although I would not be upset if we took a top DT at 14 either.

If the Panthers bring in Roy Miller or Casey Hampton or some other vet DT(NT), I can dig going WR/OL with the first two picks. Then focus on the DL in later rounds.

#69 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• HUDDLER
  • 6,390 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:23 AM

If the Panthers bring in Roy Miller or Casey Hampton or some other vet DT(NT), I can dig going WR/OL with the first two picks. Then focus on the DL in later rounds.

Roy Miller is a Jaguar, I believe.

#70 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,601 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:39 AM

you already have a guy who can compete at the same level as those 2 in Frank Kearse.

#71 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,424 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

i love people freaking out over adding a WR early because of some misguided perception that those wanting to do that feel ok ignoring OL and DT or other positions when that just isn't the case at all.

most understand that it's a clusterf*ck of sorts. we HAVE to have better blocking AND we HAVE to have better targets for cam. we need more play makers and touchdown scorers. we can not afford to sit back on the crop of WRs we have and expect success. same with blocking...except it's easier and quicker to fix the OL and DT in FA than WR. we have more solid choices available at DT and OL than we do for WR.

would i hate to pass up on great OL talent in this draft? yep...but not at the expense of getting the playmaker that would help the most if gettleman thinks it would help the team more to draft one and address OL in FA. wanting to take advantage of quality players at a certain position just because they are there is just as bad and narrow minded as picking a position out of need.

you have to look at the big picture and see where you can get talent to fill your holes and needs and you also have to look at the time to develop players. you've got to pick not just the best talent in the draft, but early you have to get the guy you think can be the quickest contributor. more than likely, that's not going to be OL. a weak link on the OL (which you could pretty much count on any OL not taken in the first few picks) can do more damage to an offense than a struggling WR. that's why you address immediate OL needs in FA rather than the draft. once you have all the pieces in place for a solid OL, then you start drafting for an elite one....unless you are planning on sucking for a few years, which the panthers can't afford to do.

just my opinion.

#72 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,178 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

What if a pro ready Left tackle fell to 14? Which would you choose then?

#73 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,758 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

I think we need both groups upgraded, especially the right side of the line.

As far as the stats and amount of time each QB holds on to the ball, other than pass rush, the type of systems each team runs has just as much to do with it.

We obviously run a vertical offense which takes more time for routes to develop, and most from shotgun(which gives the qb slightly extra time) while teams like the Pats rely on quick passes and screens, they use their passing game as their running game too.

Another component to as why guys like Vick, Cam, Wilson and RG3 are all at the top, is because teams often designate a guy to spy. Sometimes that spy comes from a LB or a pass rusher. It shouldn't be a surprise to see QB's with running abilities also have more time.

From a fan standpoint, I think we all would love to see a playmaker opposite of Steve Smith taken at #14, but from a football standpoint, a strong linemen not quite as sexy could improve our offense just as much.

#74 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,424 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

What if a pro ready Left tackle fell to 14? Which would you choose then?

i would doubt he's true pro ready to start day one left tackle. if they are really that good then they wouldn't be falling that far unless we're just lucky. i'd take him if he fell and there weren't other players who could help us out more.

saints would probably be jumping ahead of us to get him if that was the case because right now they got nothing for LT.

#75 Miiikey

Miiikey

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationSun Diego

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

very nice piece by P4L.. makes a difference then the usual nonsense being thrown around this place. I'm sold. Lets get a WR rd1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com