Photo
- - - - -

Further evidence that WR trumps O-Line as a need (PFF edition).

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#76 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

So the fact the Oline was ranked 28th by the same web site doesn't cause any contradiction here?

#77 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

you already have a guy who can compete at the same level as those 2 in Frank Kearse.

I don't agree. He's been with the squad for some time now. Ron started the last season. If he could not beat Ron, he's not a guy you can bet on.

That NT position needs upgrading. So does WR and OT but we don't have many picks, which makes this a huge dilemma.

#78 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,573 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

I don't agree. He's been with the squad for some time now. Ron started the last season. If he could not beat Ron, he's not a guy you can bet on.

That NT position needs upgrading. So does WR and OT but we don't have many picks, which makes this a huge dilemma.

honestly i thought he played better than Ron, and said he should have been cut last preseason. since Gettis could not beat Edwards does that make him better? i think Kearse can be servicable at NT but OT and WR needs to be upgraded.

#79 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

So the fact the Oline was ranked 28th by the same web site doesn't cause any contradiction here?

Good point that I counter with the following;

-Geoff Hangartner will not be the starting center next year.

Amini will be in his 2nd year and he was graded 77th out of 81 guards last year, so his flaws are bringing the unit down quite a bit. As a 2nd year player I don't see him getting benched for another rookie.(I hate their grading system btw)

Bell is in a make or break year and hopefully will improve with some consistency on the o-line and having Kalil back to make the line calls again.

This o-line is not without flaws. We can hope one rookie at 14 will fix all of them or we can take advantage of the fact that we have the best QB in making up for their flaws with his scrambling ability and add him another weapon that can help him get rid of the ball even quicker which will also mask some of their flaws.

To take it a step further I want o-line help too. I want a new NT as well, amongst other things but this thread was about me using info that I digested and shared with others to say why I think we'd better served going WR than O-line at 14

Lastly as much as I promote the site for their in depth stats I have also gone on record in numerous threads previous to this stating I think their grading system is flawed. :)

#80 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

Good point that I counter with the following;

-Geoff Hangartner will not be the starting center next year.

Amini will be in his 2nd year and he was graded 77th out of 81 guards last year, so his flaws are bringing the unit down quite a bit. As a 2nd year player I don't see him getting benched for another rookie.(I hate their grading system btw)

Bell is in a make or break year and hopefully will improve with some consistency on the o-line and having Kalil back to make the line calls again.

This o-line is not without flaws. We can hope one rookie at 14 will fix all of them or we can take advantage of the fact that we have the best QB in making up for their flaws with his scrambling ability and add him another weapon that can help him get rid of the ball even quicker which will also mask some of their flaws.

To take it a step further I want o-line help too. I want a new NT as well, amongst other things but this thread was about me using info that I digested and shared with others to say why I think we'd better served going WR than O-line at 14

Lastly as much as I promote the site for their in depth stats I have also gone on record in numerous threads previous to this stating I think their grading system is flawed. :)

Not to attack you but do you think it's a little hypocritical to call the sites grading system flawed but to use them to promote your own opinion?

We can use this sites grading system to say we need a DT, Oline, WR and secondary depending on how you spin the numbers.

#81 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

Not to attack you but do you think it's a little hypocritical to call the sites grading system flawed but to use them to promote your own opinion?

We can use this sites grading system to say we need a DT, Oline, WR and secondary depending on how you spin the numbers.

I use their stats and break them down in my own way not their grades.

#82 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

I use their stats and break them down in my own way not their grades.

So you spin the number to agree with your opinion. It's not a bad thing everybody does it.

But your numbers don't take into account. How much of a dumb ass Chud was with play calling at the beginning of the season.

#83 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

So you spin the number to agree with your opinion. It's not a bad thing everybody does it.

But your numbers don't take into account. How much of a dumb ass Chud was with play calling at the beginning of the season.

I use them to confirm my or conflict my opinion. In this case they confirmed my opinion. Sorry man I feel WR is our best way to go in the draft and I have done plenty of research in addition just from being a fan who watched every game they play.

I already made a longass OP justifying my opinion and don't feel like defending it 1 question at a time by you right now.

Let's agree to disagree and move on. Or you can continue by yourself.

#84 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

I use them to confirm my or conflict my opinion. In this case they confirmed my opinion. Sorry man I feel WR is our best way to go in the draft and I have done plenty of research in addition just from being a fan who watched every game they play.

I already made a longass OP justifying my opinion and don't feel like defending it 1 question at a time by you right now.

Let's agree to disagree and move on. Or you can continue by yourself.

Dude don't get defensive not everybody is going to agree with your opinion. Your research can be used to see a lot of needs.

#85 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

honestly i thought he played better than Ron, and said he should have been cut last preseason. since Gettis could not beat Edwards does that make him better? i think Kearse can be servicable at NT but OT and WR needs to be upgraded.

I agree to a degree. Kearse is a better option than Fua. But Kearse could not beat out Ron, until his injury. So to clarify, Gettis was injured before the start, not giving him the chance to compete. Of course Armanti will beat out Gettis, if Gettis isn't there to complete. Armanti did not get a shot until Pilares went down. He did not beat out Pilares until he went down too. They are all needs, I'm just putting a higher priority to the lines than the WR position.

So to me if you improve the lines in FA, you can go ahead and take a WR in the draft. There will be stop gaps, but where will the stop gap benefit the most in order to draft a young replacement for the remaining positions of need?

If you stop gap the lines then by all means, go WR in the first round. If you can't find a solution VIA FA, then taking a linemen in the first two rounds becomes the safest option. With higher success rate than a WR.

#86 SauceBoss

SauceBoss

IT IS WHAT IT IS

• HUDDLER
  • 2,294 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

im gonna laugh when we don't take a receiver at 14.

#87 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,613 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:57 AM

In my opinion Panther4life always has well thought out post and adds value to this board.It does not mean you have to agree or disagree but give the guy credit as he deserves it

My philosophy is you build from the inside out depending on how the coaches evaluate each position of need.If the wr does not have time to run a route or the running back does not have a hole what can their true value be? If Cam is holding on to ball to long you fix it. If you want to have a running game you have to have the OL to fix it.To me it boils down to how Rivera grades out each player with the scheme he has in mind. We have an idea on our defensive scheme but really dont know what Shula will do and chances are it will not be the same as Chuds

I think some of us post what we would like to see and others post based on what we feel the coaches would like to see.If Rivera and company feel we have the talent on the OL and DL I would not be surprised if we added a play maker but I am not sold on that notion yet. Personally I see this as a deep wr class without elite talent at the top unless you want a slot receiver in which case T Austin in my opinion is elite.

#88 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,551 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

im gonna laugh when we don't take a receiver at 14.

here's the thing. most advocating taking a WR early wouldn't be pissed at all for not taking a WR early because they trust gettleman and realize that pretty much anyone we take will be good enough to be pretty quick contributors or even starters and there's several ways we could go that would make sense.

the only ones who are really going to melt down are the ones arguing against taking one sense they think it would be a horrible mistake and there's no WR worth taking at #14 since theres no julio or aj green....which is a a ridiculously narrow minded mindset to have since those kind of talents rarely show up and when they do don't make it past 10, but that doesn't take away from the insane value of WRs in the pass heavy league that causes them to be drafted higher and earlier like QBs are.

point is...those advocating a WR aren't into limiting choices to just a couple positions and a small pool of talent like those arguing against taking one are.

#89 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

here's the thing. most advocating taking a WR early wouldn't be pissed at all for not taking a WR early because they trust gettleman and realize that pretty much anyone we take will be good enough to be pretty quick contributors or even starters and there's several ways we could go that would make sense.

the only ones who are really going to melt down are the ones arguing against taking one sense they think it would be a horrible mistake and there's no WR worth taking at #14 since theres no julio or aj green....which is a a ridiculously narrow minded mindset to have since those kind of talents rarely show up and when they do don't make it past 10, but that doesn't take away from the insane value of WRs in the pass heavy league that causes them to be drafted higher and earlier like QBs are.

point is...those advocating a WR aren't into limiting choices to just a couple positions and a small pool of talent like those arguing against taking one are.

You are such a hypocrite.

The WR's coalition on this MB will say "we don't really care what the team drafts we trust the FO" but starts Threads like the 1 we're in about "Why we need to Draft a WR".

Where are the other Threads about why we need to draft this position or that position??

Who really going to melt down here? The people who want to talk WR all the time and why we need 1 in the 1st round and start threads about it. Or the people who don't.

#90 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,397 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

You are such a hypocrite.

The WR's coalition on this MB will say "we don't really care what the team drafts we trust the FO" but starts Threads like the 1 we're in about "Why we need to Draft a WR".

Where are the other Threads about why we need to draft this position or that position??

Who really going to melt down here? The people who want to talk WR all the time and why we need 1 in the 1st round and start threads about it. Or the people who don't.

lol, what?

The reason for the topics is that ol and dt have been discussed repeatedly over the last few months. Wr is ignored by the majority of the board, just like the team ignores it.

Team needs a future #1, #2 and some added depth. Carolina has one of the worst wr corp in the NFL.

Lafell is a good solid #3 at best, smitty is near the end and that's it for Wr on the Panthers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com