Photo
- - - - -

Recapping all of the 2013 Offseason moves so far.(updated 3-27)

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

**Edited and upgraded thread from yesterday....fug it Im just gonna make it a new thread since this one has fallen off and the older comments may not make sense.

All 1 year deals of unless noted otherwise. Others may have but it looks like Captains the only one with any guaranteed money(signing bonus).

2013 Signings and cap hits
Captain $1.1 million (including $300k signing bonus)
Derek Anderson $850k
Tedd Ginn Jr. $750k
Mike Mitchell $725k
D.J Moore $715k
Drayton Florence $620k
Ben Hartstock $620k
Colin Cole $555k
Richie Brockel $555k
Dwan Edwards TBD- 2 year deal
Chase Blackburn TBD- 2 year deal

Free agents not resigned
Gary Barnidge -Signed with Browns
Louis Murphy-Signed with Giants
Jason Phillips- Signed with Eagles
Sherrod Martin

Antwan Applewhite
Mike Pollack
Nate Ness
Andre Neblett

Players Cut
James Anderson(June 1st designation)-Signed With Bears saves 2.8 Million in cap space
Chris Gamble- Retired wealthy on his 30th B-day.- Saved 7.9 Million in cap space
Ron Edwards - Saved 2.5 million.

total savings for 2013 cap from ^^ = 13.2 million

Players restructured
Greg Olsen-Shuffled money around and saved 2.4 million for this year's cap
Ryan Kalil -Shuffled money around and saved 3.45 million for this year cap
Jordan Gross- Saved 6.8 million for this year for this years cap and add's 3.6 in future dead money
Haruki Nakumara- Saved 500k for this year
Jonathan Stewart-minor move that raised cap figure $200k, unsure of why we did this.

total net savings for 2013 cap from ^^ = 9.75 million

combing the restructure savings and the outright cuts = 22.7 million in total savings for 2013 Cap

Dead money committed to 14 from these moves = 5.4 million.

Other
Exercised option on Tolbert to remain with team thru 2015.

Estimated current cap room=7.636 million.*not including Edwards and Blackburn signings.
(PFT said we had $936,00 before the Gross Savings of 6.8 million and accounting for the Dwan Edwards and Chase Blackburn signings)

Cap room will also jump 2.8 million after June 1st once James Anderson cut hits the books.

Lastly the Rookie pool for our 13 Rookie class is expected to cost us around 4 million.

#2 Gallagher

Gallagher

Never Doubt Davis

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

Yeah, all of this for cutting Gamble was definitely a smart move. Getting more and more excited about this Ted Ginn signing. I want to see a lot of this next year.

#3 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,454 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

not sure how these salaries factor in, but in the offseason only the top 51 count towards the cap.

#4 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

JA as a June 1st cut should clear enough to sign draft picks. There shouldn't be any need to save or clear room for that.

#5 IamSoClutch

IamSoClutch

CaptainCam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts
  • LocationKinston, NC

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

Good thread. How space did we have at the beginning of free agency? I forgot

#6 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

Most of those contracts if any besides cap and dwan should not count towards the cap. Our financials are fine. We will not go into the draft with no money to sign our picks. It just won't happen.

#7 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,868 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

Yasinskas doesn't know anything..

#8 h0llywood

h0llywood

I HATE LUKE KUECHLY!

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,312 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

As always thanks for the informative posts Panther4life.

#9 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,719 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

Wont need to sign anyone else until after June 1st. Draft picks usually are signed close to training camp

#10 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

Could be some other restructures made already. There's been several times in the past where we've made moves and not heard about them til way down the road.

#11 SooSlow84

SooSlow84

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationYour mother's basement

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

not sure how these salaries factor in, but in the offseason only the top 51 count towards the cap.

This.

#12 jdpanther5

jdpanther5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • LocationBurlington

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

Captain $1.1 million (including $300k signing bonus)
Derek Anderson $850k
Tedd Ginn Jr. $750k
Mike Mitchell $725k
D.J Moore $715k
Drayton Florence $620k
Ben Hartstock $620k
Colin Jones $555k
Richie Brockel $555k

OT: I'm assuming you meant Colin Cole here, not Jones, not really a big deal but it had me confused for a bit.

I covered this in another cap-related thread (I think about One-Year Deals in particular), how some of these one-year deals have smaller cap hits via the Veteran Minimum Salary Benefit, and thus save even more space for us. I won't repeat all of that again, but from what I can tell the cap hits from the above contracts isn't the same as what they're being paid due to the structure of the deals. Basically these one-year minimum deals allow us to reduce their cap number to $555,000 plus whatever bonuses they get.

According to spotrac, for some of these guys you have the cap hit, not the salary, and vice-versa. But, for example, according to sportrac we're paying Florence the vet min ($940,000 for him) + a signing bonus of $65,000, to bring him a payday of just over $1mil. However, by signing him to this type of deal, his base salary for cap reasons is reduced from $940k to $555k, and then the signing bonus ($65k) is added, thus bringing his cap hit to $620k.

Hartsock is also making more, but the $620k is his cap hit. Moore's salary is consistent with what spotrac has, but his official cap hit should also be $555k since none of it is a bonus. I'm not sure if Captain's hit will also be reduced though, since he has a workout bonus as well.

I'm not sure I completely understand this stuff though, for instance it looks like we gave Captain $35,000 too much to be able to reduce his cap number. Why not just add that in as bonus? I mean, it's a one-year deal anyway. I suppose if he doesn't make the team or something you'd lose less guaranteed money this way, but otherwise we could've saved (an admittedly meager) $160k in cap space.

#13 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,718 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

So only Munnerlyn, and probably Edwards, are over a million.

#14 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,542 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

Wont need to sign anyone else until after June 1st. Draft picks usually are signed close to training camp

Which is pretty much why I think we are done dealing until after the draft. Then fill whatever holes we have left with FA.

#15 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,620 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:07 AM

Which is pretty much why I think we are done dealing until after the draft. Then fill whatever holes we have left with FA.

Maybe or maybe not.They did bring in K Winslow and Booth, I think they have their eyes on another TE and OG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com