- - - - -

Atlanta go to Clemson to stop read-option

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
100 replies to this topic

#91 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

Side note: Cam is also a drop back QB. The Golden Calf of Bristol, NOT. Auburn hasn't won 5 games since Cam, including the coach getting fired. The gators have been to at least a bowl game every year after The Golden Calf of Bristol. Logic stands.

That's logic? Dear god man.

Auburn doesn't have the identical talent depth that Florida does. Compare the recruiting classes for the last decade. It's not even close.

#92 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

Running a traditional offense means not ever using read-option or design run for a QB. Peyton, per se, ran a traditional offense. Cam didn't play one game without a design run/read-option. No such thing as 'limiting'. "You play to win the game". Whatever play is helping you move the ball down field the easiest is the one you use.

That's false. The 49ers and Redskins illustrate my point. Both of these offenses utilized the Pistol but they also mixed in traditional playcalling.

#93 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

What makes Cam special and superior over other dual threat QBs like Vick and Vince is his arm, not his legs. Any dual threat QB out there could scramble but only a QB of Newton's caliber could succeed in the pocket. The fact is you just don't have faith in him being a QB and are somehow blinded by his intangibles when he's on the run.

Bad investment? Newton, himself, has proven you wrong already. Like it or not, Rivera has shown interest in limiting the Read Option and I couldn't be happier.

The QB doesn't call the shots. The OC and HC do. Cam loved the idea of bringing the Read Option to Carolina but he didn't reconfigure the playbooks. Chud brought it to the NFL to ease Cam in. That's all. Chud (in a recent interview) talked about it and why Cam is ready to move on from the Read Option.

Vick had an arm....lacked height but he had a rocket arm. Vick prior to jail had one of the biggest arms in the NFL...and still has a canon. Difference in Vick and Cam is size....and it makes a big difference as a passer and runner.

What makes Cam special is his ability as a passer AND he legitmately is the only guy built to be a dual threat QB. I have full faith in Cam being one of the GOAT. But not if you try to make him play Eli Manning's style early in his career.....which we haven't and RIVERA won't.

You can't read....I said he WOULD be a bad investment IF you turned him into a traditional pocket passer year 3. Newton has proven me right....as I wanted him drafted to be Cam and they have let him.

And Chud talked about it being a 7-8 year plan to turn him into more of a pocket player....which based on age makes sense.

Read option is just a modern version of play action for a mobile QB....so it isn't a read option debate. It is just a do you want Cam to be a runner or not.

If Steve Young didn't run he wouldn't of been special....same with Newton. Turn him into a pocket passer this year.....we suck. But NOTHING besides people thinking somehow our new GM is our OC backs that

#94 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

That's false. The 49ers and Redskins illustrate my point. Both of these offenses utilized the Pistol but they also mixed in traditional playcalling.

And Carolina had tons of traditional playcalling ....in 2011 and 2012.

#95 Guest_BlueBoyRamses_E1b1a_*

Guest_BlueBoyRamses_E1b1a_*
Guests

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

That's logic? Dear god man.

Auburn doesn't have the identical talent depth that Florida does. Compare the recruiting classes for the last decade. It's not even close.

point made.

#96 Guest_BlueBoyRamses_E1b1a_*

Guest_BlueBoyRamses_E1b1a_*
Guests

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

of course there are traditional play calling. We're comparing strictly traditional Vs traditional with read-option. No coaching staff with a Cam type player have the balls or job security to keep him strictly traditional. Else some college coach is taking their job. With those coaches going through the college rank to learn new offenses/defensive schemes, only a matter time when owners will start cutting the middle man and go straight to the source.

#97 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

Vick had an arm....lacked height but he had a rocket arm. Vick prior to jail had one of the biggest arms in the NFL...and still has a canon. Difference in Vick and Cam is size....and it makes a big difference as a passer and runner.

What makes Cam special is his ability as a passer AND he legitmately is the only guy built to be a dual threat QB. I have full faith in Cam being one of the GOAT. But not if you try to make him play Eli Manning's style early in his career.....which we haven't and RIVERA won't.

You can't read....I said he WOULD be a bad investment IF you turned him into a traditional pocket passer year 3. Newton has proven me right....as I wanted him drafted to be Cam and they have let him.

And Chud talked about it being a 7-8 year plan to turn him into more of a pocket player....which based on age makes sense.

Read option is just a modern version of play action for a mobile QB....so it isn't a read option debate. It is just a do you want Cam to be a runner or not.

If Steve Young didn't run he wouldn't of been special....same with Newton. Turn him into a pocket passer this year.....we suck. But NOTHING besides people thinking somehow our new GM is our OC backs that

Vick has always had a rocket arm but the difference between them both isn't size. Vick's mechanics and accuracy were erratic. Mike barely completed half of his passes in his rookie campaign. Cam, while a being a raw passer himself, is 10x more accurate than Vick was in ATL. In fact, Vick was only a single notch above The Golden Calf of Bristol as a passer. Once defenses started to find ways to neutralize him, he had to evolve as a QB.

Clearly you don't if all you can gather from this debate is "I want Cam to be Peyton Manning". It has nothing to do with reading comprehension on my part. Newton's abilities as a passer go beyond threatening LBs and DBs to run. If you trouble seeing that, then I suggest you review tape on Newton.

Link, please? A 7-8 year plan? I would love to read what Chud had planned for Cam. No QB needs 7-8 years to make the transition, much less Newton who has shown flashes of brilliance as a pocket passer.

The Read Option is a gimmick offense. It's no different than The Wild Cat. Dolphin fans we're calling it 'the future'. How long was it effective? 2-3 years? Nowadays, the Wild Cat is buried in playbooks. So please, don't feed me that garbage.

#98 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

of course there are traditional play calling. We're comparing strictly traditional Vs traditional with read-option. No coaching staff with a Cam type player have the balls or job security to keep him strictly traditional. Else some college coach is taking their job. With those coaches going through the college rank to learn new offenses/defensive schemes, only a matter time when owners will start cutting the middle man and go straight to the source.

In case you haven't noticed, I've been debating for that. My beef is that Chud basically used The Read Option as a base. What I want, and what Rivera and Gettleman seem to be aiming for now, is tuning down the designed run plays for Cam and leaving it to J-Stew and D-Will to carry the workload.

#99 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:39 AM

Would have been smarter to ask USF. Or better yet Kansas St coach Bill Snyder.

#100 MHS831

MHS831

HUDDLER

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

I do not understand why Atlanta would go to Clemson to learn about the "Read Option" when nearly all of their students select the "pictures option."

Yes, I made that one up. Go Gamecocks.

#101 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

HUDDLER

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

they didnt have to leave GA let alone Atlanta to get answers. would have been better served to ask UGA and GA TECH.